DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 11/3/2021

Dolfan in NYC

2 minutes ago, chriskbrown50 said:

FTR tried to coverup as the best they could but it was not a good match at all. And it was not on FTR. Kalisto splits was a great visual but it made no sense.  I was not impressed at all. 

I think Aerostar was supposed to springboard over the top robe as Kalisto dropped into the splits but that didn't really happen in synch.

I enjoyed the show. CM Punk's shoutout to Moxley about getting better was a nice gesture and I can't help but feel like CM Punk is basically just an extension of Tony Khan on screen. Having a talent come out and put over Jon's commendable choice to better himself, better his future, and better his family life is actually a very nice thing and beautiful that we don't always have to have (insert storyline reason here) - just cut through the bullshit and tell it how it is. I like that and hope that will help those people out there who struggle with addiction or other problems and allow them to reach out for help. Also, Punk vs. Kingston will be a great match - but I'm really excited for a live Rampage this Friday with those two dueling on the mic. Should be something special.

Boy am I over this Jurassic Express/Super Kliq feud and hope it finally comes to an end at Full Gear. Had we gone back to day 1 of Dynamite, I would've predicted Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus to be tag champs by now - but I think it's pretty evident that Luchasaurus may not be ready for that spot yet, especially with how sparse title changes are. I will also be honest, Adam Cole and Christian is not really a match-up I am looking forward to but the Instant Classic has reeled me in with great performances in the past so I will wait to pass judgement. 

Was also really thinking that PVZ was going to be the fifth for the match at Full Gear, but again was skeptical just because I know TK isn't a big fan of the intergender wrestling. Arlovski and JDS are two great name value choices for the match and everyone wants to see Dan Lambert get his ass kicked - but I also thought there was a chance we might get Jorge Masvidal in this spot too. It wasn't until after that I realized he's fighting in December so no dice again, but it makes me wonder if that running knee was/is/will lead to anything down the line with Jericho. Lambert is over with me and appointment TV every time he's on. My buddy asked me if he has go away heat or just genuine heat and I said I just think he's over as heel. He knows how to rile a crowd up and I'll be honest, he gets reactions that are equally if not louder than MJF and that's saying something. Is this the end game for ATT? Surely you can't trod them everywhere all over the country for years on end, but I like their little dynamic and personally hope they stick around for even longer. Also - more Paige VanZant please. Pretty please?

MJF/Darby is kind of just there for me but what a hellacious clothesline over the guard rail. Very Catcus Jack esque if you will.

That FTR vs. SDS/Aerostar was very choppy and not fluid at all. Samurai did a good job in the match as I expected since I'm fairly certain Lucha House Party and the Revival mixed it up plenty enough in WWE. Not sure what Aerostar was looking for there on that dive over the top but it looked like he got hit with a powerbomb when all was said and done. 

Omega and Angels was good and clearly an attempt at the callback to their Dark match with the V-Trigger spots. Hangman getting the title away from the Elite should be best for everyone all around, especially when his next challenger will be either Bryan Danielson or Miro. I'm in the camp that Miro goes over at the PPV and continues his monster push, because he may very well be the unspoken MVP of 2021. His change in character and demeanor to the badass God's favorite champion has been more appointment television on the weekly. We talked about how some of these guys from WWE -> AEW would see a lot more shine and I honestly think Miro is probably case and point #1 right now. 

• Like 4

AEW is kinda firing on all cylinders right now. Even losing one of their biggest and best guys like Moxley doesn't hurt because swapping in Miro still feels logical and will result in a great match at the PPV that could still go either way (Miro would also be a good token first defence for Page if he wins).

Some of the post-match brawls look a bit jank because too many of their guys still try to do pro wrestling offence in a street fight situation and it looks bad (Tay Conti and Luchasaurus off my head from this week) but that aside they've got a PPV stacked with feuds with a lot of heat in them.

I wasn't too hot about Omega vs Page when they were laying the seeds months ago but I'm in for it now and it feels like it's time for Omega to lose the belt. Conti is a good B-level title defence for Britt and it gives her the biggest match she's had yet. FTR vs Lucha Bros has potential for a great match and the way they've build it up with the AAA belts and lucha teams has been something a little different. MJF vs Darby is a low-key feud of the year contender with strong promos and brawls leading to a hot match between arguably their 2 biggest homegrown guys. Looks like we'll get Punk vs Kingston too as well as Bucks/Cole vs Jurassic Express/Cage, which has also had a strong build up with a lot of juice in it. They could even add the OC vs Hardy blow-off as a pre-show match and that's a hell of a card. Heck, even the IC vs ATT stuff has oddball potential because of the MMA guy's involvement. I know a lot of people are sick of Lambert's Facebook Uncle schtick but the guy clearly is a big wrestling fan and throws a great tantrum, seeing him get his commupence should be a super-satisfying moment they've managed to build out of a few months.

Cool to see SDS and Aero Star on this show, hopefully SDS in particular shows up more (though judging by what people are saying about some twitter spat that may not be likely now)

6 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

What's this? 

Apparently Del Sol said something about Jon Huber (as a tribute) on Twitter but spelt his name wrong and Amanda Huber and Jericho 'called him out' over it, though now I have bothered to have a quick look it seems like that is being massively overblown by people who want there to be a story 

Edited by killsteve

7 hours ago, Gordberg said:

I was wondering if he might pull that playbook out of his enormous bag of tricks. Chop down the giant oak by kicking his (massive) thigh again and again and again. Stick and move...

Damn, man! How great is this going to be. Miro has absolutely mastered the magic trick of making the other guy look like a credible threat while simultaneously looking dominant. Bryan was born to play the role of a believable David in a David vs Goliath match. Bryan's run of MOTYC v Kenny, v MiSu, v Kingston has set the bar insanely high. Miro worked magic against Darby, Uno, Dante, Pillman, Big Shotty, Fuego, Sammy... Kingston!!

Pretty hard to keep my expectations in check for this one.

The other aspect to this match is Miro's neck.

Bryan is the perfect guy to be going after that target with all sorts of crazy holds, throws and strikes.

But Miro is on a path of redemption for his God. Is his neck stronger? Does he wrestle in a way to protect that weakness now?

I love that he has this final boss weak spot that can be built around in matches. Cannot wait to see what happens.

• Like 3

Those tweets above seem kind of harsh. Granted I don't know what kind of relationship they had, whether they were good buds or not and he is just namedropping, but who's to say his phone didn't just autocorrect? Or that he momentarily forgot the correct spelling? Or that he just never had to actually write the guy's name down so why the fuck would he have ever needed to know what the correct spelling is? I mean I work in an office so I need to know how to spell colleagues names and I see their names in emails, etc. but if you're just guys on the road, how would you ever see someone's name spelled out somewhere?

Edited by Swift
  • Like 2

I can't believe I totally forgot to mention Adam Page's perfect short promo. I loved that he didn't try to take the belt with him or anything. He has the confidence that he is going to win, so Kenny can just have it back right now. "Ten days" and all that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I can't believe I totally forgot to mention Adam Page's perfect short promo. I loved that he didn't try to take the belt with him or anything. He has the confidence that he is going to win, so Kenny can just have it back right now. "Ten days" and all that.

When Page grabbed the belt I kept saying to myself "Don't lift that above your head you idiot" And then he didn't, he gave it back to Kenny and gave the 10 days line. What a babyface. 

• Like 6

18 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

Called the Lambert in the ATT vs Inner Circle Match. Sometimes the obvious move is the best move, and it's here. Didn't like bringing up the Dos Santos recent loss, but that's minor. Wrestling is a whole different thing (even in a street fight) then a MMA fight.

yeah, the Lambert thing was incredibly obvious. As to the dos Santos loss, i have to pick nits. Hager said something along the lines of "it'll last longer than your last fight. 71 seconds." I thought i must be missing something, because i didn't think JDS's last loss was so quick. It wasn't. JDS's 71 second loss (to Francis Ngannou, current UFC Heavyweight champ) was 4 fights and 2 1/2 years ago. His actual last loss was back in December, a 7 minute loss to the current UFC Interim Heavyweight Champ (Ciryl Gane). Hager needs to get his facts straight. 

also, i was pleastantly surprised to see Arlovski selected as a combatant. I was sure that nobody under current UFC contract (Arlovski, Masvidal) would be involved in an actual match. Anybody that follows the MMA forum knows that Arlovski is one of my all-time favorite fighters. Guess Team ATT just became the faces for me!

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'll be the odd one out and say that I thought the tag match sucked. FTR looked good, but Aerostar looked like shit, out of shape, and blown up before he injured himself

6 hours ago, Swift said:

Glad someone else saw the same match I did. I'm surprised so many people thought it was good. It was all very, very sloppy with seemingly nobody on the same page

make that three of us. an incredibly sloppy match, mostly due to Aerostar (i think this is the first i've seen him).  FTR was good. SRS/Kalisto was fine.

Cody/Andrade was a solid match that had me invested. Andrade going over was a good call (i'm still a Cody fan, but dude needs to stop winning every match he has). the Malakai Black and Andrade matches are definitely steps in the right direction. 

count me in on thinking Adam Cole shouldn't be wrestling Friday after that con-chair-to. i'm not overly upset about it, but it's not really a necessary match either. John Silver's promo was heavy on the BTE references, which i don't mind, but makes the match feel thrown together anyway. Call an audible, tweet that there's a new opponent. Nobody's tuning in for that match anyway.

definitely loved the MJF/Darby brawl. Especially the Sting entrance and all the minions with the paper cutout masks. nice touch.

good to see Christian back, he's one of my faves. but i think the Jurassic Express has gotten pretty much all the rub off him they're going to. time to move on.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, twiztor said:

yeah, the Lambert thing was incredibly obvious. As to the dos Santos loss, i have to pick nits. Hager said something along the lines of "it'll last longer than your last fight. 71 seconds." I thought i must be missing something, because i didn't think JDS's last loss was so quick. It wasn't. JDS's 71 second loss (to Francis Ngannou, current UFC Heavyweight champ) was 4 fights and 2 1/2 years ago. His actual last loss was back in December, a 7 minute loss to the current UFC Interim Heavyweight Champ (Ciryl Gane). Hager needs to get his facts straight. 

also, i was pleastantly surprised to see Arlovski selected as a combatant. I was sure that nobody under current UFC contract (Arlovski, Masvidal) would be involved in an actual match. Anybody that follows the MMA forum knows that Arlovski is one of my all-time favorite fighters.

Agreed, excited to see that Arlovski will be involved in ring as I've been hoping since this angle started with their first appearance. Felt like they left things open to pick up further with Masvidal when he doesn't have a fight coming up.

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

Cody/Andrade was a solid match that had me invested. Andrade going over was a good call (i'm still a Cody fan, but dude needs to stop winning every match he has).

Lost the Shaq tag. Lost the Revolution ladder match. Pinned by QT Marshall on June 4th. Pinned twice by Malakai Black, once with the foot-on-chest pin to assert dominance. Lost to Andrade. All in 2021 alone.

"Dude needs to stopping winning every match he has."

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Have said before, will say again: they should have kept the TNT Title on Miro to run a unification storyline. TNT Miro vs World Champ Hangman would have been fireworks: puts the second title over as uber legitimate with a very unpredictable conclusion (either could go over each other), if Hangman wins it underscores transition from sad sack mope to top of the company and you have a 2001 Jericho-esque moment (but Face), if Miro wins you have your 98 Goldberg. That TNT Title looks soft at the moment on Guevara, who shouldn’t have been booked to beat Miro.

ATT stuff was fine. At least they understand the portrayal now needs to be that PWers can stand an affecting underdog-story chance vs MMAers in Street rules. ATTers being pretty bland (at least the 2 they trawled out from Bellator) helps put the shine on charismatic PWers.

Give it a few weeks then Cody can take a clean win back from Andrade’s interference win. All good.

14 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

These two need to settle a bit, as someone says the guy speaks Spanish and John is a much more common spelling of the name and his phone could have autocorrected by itself. What a shitty thing for them to point out when the guy is putting out a nice message from the heart.

Finished the show last night, I enjoyed it but it felt pretty chaotic, lots of multi people brawl which I don't feel we've had in a while. The Elite/Christian/JE one was a bit hard to follow because the camerawork was all over the place and very zoomed in on the action which is not common in AEW.

I never liked Aerostar back in PWG a few years ago and he didn't change my mind much last night. I heard he got knocked loopy midway but still, he's a bit stoo sloppy for my taste. FTR's music has been playing on loop in my head for the past 24 hours or so tho.