DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 11/3/2021

Dolfan in NYC

I enjoyed this show except for the American Top Team segment. Hulk Hogan in 1997 or HHH in 2002 would've thought that thing went long.

Really great to see Miro slotted in there for Mox, I saw him suggested here and elsewhere and sometimes the logical choice is the best one. 

Very excited to hear Kingston's rebuttal

MJF using "glorified stuntman" got me fired up for that one. Must be some sort of mental trigger from growing up a Mick Foley fan.

• Like 6

Only got home in time for the Cody beating and the main but I was HYPE for Tully throwing down the jacket. I know Arn has his neck issues but if they could just work one match, it would be incredible. Also that was a hell of a beatdown and run-in. The Lucha Bros. actually looked dangerous for a change! 

And of course the main was great (what I saw of it anyway, which was the commercial break onward. Multitasking). 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Oh I forgot:

The long distance Cactus Clothesline spot from Darby was INSANE! 

I know Darby is a star but tonight he looked like a STAR. That was so fucking cool.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Punk's speech about Mox was so wonderful it got me choking up a little bit.  You can feel the love him and others have for the guy and the crowd was with him all the way.  It's rare to hear them all incredibly silent while one speaks yet they were a couple times throughout that.  At first I thought it would be awkward transitioning to Eddie but Punk managed to pull it off.

• Like 10

Tonight was fun.  No Punk or Danielson matches so we got to gauge who the number three in the company is: Kenny Omega? Cody Rhodes? Andrade?  Darby Allin?  Miro?  Yeah, it's Miro.  MJF and Darby was the best thing on the show.  What's everybody's problem with Aerostar?  He looked good.  HOLY SHIT  MIRO vs DANIELSON!!!!!  AWESOME!  

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Put someone good with SdS and it's a certified banger. Aerostar just wasn't it. Can we have Dragon Lee please, Uncle Tony? 

You're probably not getting Dragon Lee unless Rush and Bestia are coming in the package deal...

Which probably isn't a bad thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It looked like Aerostar hurt his leg on the barricade when he dove onto Dax. He was hobbled the last half of the match and appeared to beg off spring boarding in situations where it seemed like he was supposed to, which made things…a bit awkward.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, elizium said:

Big babyface turn by Paige Vanzant. Standing up for her own honour, wanting to fight her own battles no matter the odds.

To me, she looked really, really stupid. Specifically, using the typical female telling a male they don't have any balls trope. Other then seeing Lambert getting beat up, I've loathed this feud since it's start. I legitimately care about none of those folks, Page and Sky included.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, EVA said:

It looked like Aerostar hurt his leg on the barricade when he dove onto Dax. He was hobbled the last half of the match and appeared to beg off spring boarding in situations where it seemed like he was supposed to, which made things…a bit awkward.

After seeing that match, I’d maybe rather have Cash catch me then Dax.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

* CM Punk should've entered the tournament.

* Paige VanSant's promo wouldn't have been as cringe if you didn't have ATT acting like they were sickest burns on the planet. That whole exchange with Jericho and Paige was awkward. I couldn't even feel bad for her husband. 

* Tony Khan trying to sell Cody as the "John Cena" of AEW -- FFS. 

* It's time for Dynamite to get rid of the three-man booth. You basically have three play-by-play guys all trying to do play-by-play at the same time instead of one PBP guy and one color guy. JR is getting mad at everyone. Excalibur gets befuddled and doesn't know what to do when JR is getting mad and grumpy. It's fine if you have a guy like Taz, Jericho, or Punk on there doing genuine color commentary, but this flat out isn't working anymore. Excalibur doesn't know what to do when JR throws him a curveball. 

* FTR vs. Aerostar and Samuray was good. I'm glad FTR has a genuine feud going again with Lucha Bros. 

* I liked how they set up MJF and Darby. MJF is goading Darby to mat wrestle him, but Darby still got his licks in tonight. Hope their match can deliver. Darby is clearly capable of more than just being a hardcore brawler and bump machine when he needs to be.

* Jamie Hayter vs. Anna Jay was good. What was JR doing though going off about DDTs? I get his point, but the DDT hasn't really been an actual finishing movie since the 1980s. Wrestlers have been spamming the DDT as a transition move since the early 1990s.

Edited by TheVileOne

My take on the back half of Punk’s promo is this: 

When you get old, focusing on two things at once is really tiring and while he would have liked to face Cassidy and maybe Danielson, having to focus on Eddie too is just exhausting and frankly, he’d just rather have a nap.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
5 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

It's time for Dynamite to get rid of the three-man booth. You basically have three play-by-play guys all trying to do play-by-play at the same time instead of one PBP guy and one color guy. JR is getting mad at everyone. Excalibur gets befuddled and doesn't know what to do when JR is getting mad and grumpy. It's fine if you have a guy like Taz, Jericho, or Punk on there doing genuine color commentary, but this flat out isn't working anymore. Excalibur doesn't know what to do when JR throws him a curveball. 

Amen. LANCE RUSSELL DON'T NEED NO THIRD WHEEL!

Great show. Omega/Angels was an exciting opener. Punk promo was very good, felt like the Kingston feud has got him bringing some fire. Superkliq brawl with Christian and Jurassic Express was fun.  FTR tag was good stuff. Most i've enjoyed Samuray del Sol in years, thought Aerostar was fine throughout. Knew Lambert was gonna end up on the ATT team, liked Paige VZ's promo work a lot.  Hayter/Anna was a solid 5 min match, Jamie continues to shine. I dig her lariat finish. Darby/MJF segment was excellent, with the rail clothesline being the obvious highlight, that was awesome.  Cody/Andrade was great, thought this was the main event as it was starting. Finish came off well with FTR's shot with the titles on the dive. Good main event that went as would be expected but a few cool hope spots from Orange. Bryan/Miro will be epic. 

• Like 4

So, thoughts:

When CM Punk was really the first person to bring up Mox's time off, I was afraid that considering past Punk angles (Jericho?), that Punk was going to revert to Straight Edge, and go for the cheap heat. Instead, handled with class, as most of what AEW does.

Dark Order slowly getting split apart for singles matches, to see if they can get heat outside of the Order.. wonder if this ends up with all of us finding out the Order is stronger together rather than separately.

Called the Lambert in the ATT vs Inner Circle Match. Sometimes the obvious move is the best move, and it's here. Didn't like bringing up the Dos Santos recent loss, but that's minor. Wrestling is a whole different thing (even in a street fight) then a MMA fight.

Miro~! brutalizes Orange~! (tm DEAN) and I'm all for it. Full Nitro point (like a Saturday Night Point, but you know, on Nitro instead of WCWSN). Hopefully we get a hardy "I CAUSED CASSIDY TO LOSE. ME! NOT MIRO!" and Miro brutalizes him.

They better issue blast guards for the first three or four rows for Miro/Danielson. It's gonna be a hossfight par supreme.

THAT is what I wanted from Darby. Just in time too, I had complained last week about how they weren't playing to Allin's strengths? But when the talky talky bits are done, and it's time for the fighty fighty bits, Allin is in his element. Foley's wincing at that cracker-Cactus Jack clothesline.. Props to Allin for the long run sell too. His face showed ANGRY FIGHTING SPIRIT.

Honestly, here's a long shot for y'all, but I've been thinking of what they need to do with Cody, and I came up with a crazy idea but it's so crazy, it just might work.

The Reverse Midnight Rider.

I can hear you going "DUBYA Tee Eff is a reverse Midnight Rider?" Well, you remember when his dad lost a loser leaves town match and then the Midnight Rider (who was obviously Dusty with a mask) comes in to fight for Dusty's honor? Reverse that. Cody loses, and has to leave AEW for 90 days. But someone who looks like Cody under a hood actually joins Andrade/FTR/etcetera to help them with beat downs. All the while cutting pre-taped "Well, here I am at home. This sucks. But this is going to end, and when I do, I'm coming back stronger than ever". Play into Cody's faux-sincerity about how he's never going to turn on the fans, and then when he inevitably gets de-masked, he can claim "I didn't turn on the fans. THE FANS turned on ME!" Could that be why they were testing Fuegos Dos? 

(This conspiracy theory is brought to you by tramadol, and a delayed reaction to my Humira shot making me six different types of goofy)

• Like 4

Shit, I accidentally erased what I had already written about the rest. Anyway: 

Alan Angels was great. You never see a nice leg lariat anymore and his was gorgeous, so was the moonsault. Omega didn't even annoy me at all this time around which is practically a miracle. 

I of all people certainly appreciated Punk's comments. 

AEROSTAR~!!! In what world is he worthy of disapproval? Yeah the one dive got flubbed but so what. All four of these guys worked an insanely fast and complicated match for even AEW spotfest standards that was smooth as buttah. 

...and then a little later on you get another insanely fast and complicated match that was full of perfect counter wrestling and sneaky shots and pretty much buried the overkill of Andrade/PAC. Cody was great too with Andrade stuffing all of his stupid shit like the Disaster Kick. If he had only countered the reverse stunner we could have had a Bingo card filled. 

And yeah, Dan Lambert is indeed gonna be a great Bobby Heenan, if he's willing to bump and bleed like him. Being the fan that he seems to be we have more than a good chance at that. Maybe not putting him a weasel suit, but hey.

EDIT: One more thing. Watching it again, Ruby being known as such a sweetheart in real life and being the one to immediately run to Eddie and try to defuse him and stop the fight with Punk was *mwah* 

EDIT II: Holy fuck I know there were a ton of great spots on this show including the Cactus clothesline but Orange stagediving on Miro through the table has to be mentioned. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

TK on the verge of tears talking about Brodie and Jon Moxley, featuring Bryan Danielson talking about the two of them as well. And a special throwback to NXT 2010!

EDIT: Also a very drunk fan can be heard - try to ignore it.

Edited by Casey
  • Haha 1

Miro vs Danielson is going to be a banger at bare minimum. I figure similar to Brock/Danielson but with a more violent Danielson...

God damn Kenny Omega is fucking good. Angels is pretty good too, and they work well together.

FTR are damn excellent.

I didn't ever realize I wanted Tully vs Arn but... I want Tully vs Arn.

• Like 5