DVDVR Message Board

ETERNALS (Spoiler Discussion Thread)

RIPPA

On 11/4/2021 at 12:17 PM, The Natural said:

Be interesting to see what happens to the Eternals (2021) with the critical reaction and at the box office. Depends on both. I'm not sure we'll get a sequel. The trailers did little for me. Haven't seen any MCU films this year even though Black Widow (2021) was bought for me on DVD. I will get round to watching it with Shang-Chi and the Ten Rings (2021). Latter drops on Disney+ Day next week. I won't be watching this for a while. Hope to see Spider-Man: No Way Home at the cinema having watched both Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017) and Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019) there.

Read Eternals finishes it's domestic run as the second lowest MCU movie ever ahead of The Incredible Hulk. Granted we're in a global pandemic but that's something.

What happened to Eternals? We've long speculated which film would get the first rotten rating from Rotten Tomatoes after 25 fresh in a row, it was Eternals. That and the mostly negative reviews didn't help its cause. Neither did the running time or trying to introduce everything into one movie: Eternals, Celestials, Deviants, all new characters we've never met. Too many. Said characters were dull barring Kingo and his valet.

What will happen to Eternals? I'm not sure it gets a sequel even though nearly all the others have. Do Marvel want to admit defeat? I think instead we'll see characters show up in different films.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

I don't think Eternals is the worst Marvel Studios film. I'd probably still say it's The Incredible Hulk. My bottom five is made up of:

27. The Incredible Hulk.

26. Thor: The Dark World.

25. Iron Man 2.

24. Iron Man 3.

23. Ant-Man and the Wasp.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

I don't think Eternals is the worst Marvel Studios film. I'd probably still say it's The Incredible Hulk. My bottom five is made up of:

27. The Incredible Hulk.

26. Thor: The Dark World.

25. Iron Man 2.

24. Iron Man 3.

23. Ant-Man and the Wasp.

I've never seen The Incredible Hulk but I'd easily rank Eternals behind the rest of these for all the reasons you mentioned.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2022 at 9:21 AM, Matt D said:

Black Widow and Shang Chi both had crummy third acts where the villain was either underdeveloped or uninteresting or sidelined. Eternals' was better.

I would be angered by this comment if it weren't true.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/1/2022 at 2:21 PM, Matt D said:

Black Widow and Shang Chi both had crummy third acts where the villain was either underdeveloped or uninteresting or sidelined. Eternals' was better.

22 hours ago, J.T. said:

I would be angered by this comment if it weren't true.

I'm with the both of you.

Black Widow's was the worst:

Spoiler

Another third act with things falling from the sky and a brainwashed assassin from the past. Both were done much better in Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014). The more I think about Black Widow the more I dislike it. The wait wasn't worth it. We needed a Black Widow solo film years ago, say 2016-2018 time. 

• Like 3

Finally watched Eternals a couple weeks ago, glad I waited to catch it streaming on my own time. Besides packing so much goddamn story in a short (yet long) period of time, worst thing was that the two characters with the most focus - Sersi and Ikaris - were the least interesting of the whole bunch. Plus they killed Gilgamesh, he was cool. 

Should've been either two movies or a show, buuuuuuuuut I am curious to see what comes next, especially how they connect to the overarching MCU - better get Kingo and Thor meeting back up!

• Like 4

• 2 months later...