DVDVR Message Board

ETERNALS (Spoiler Discussion Thread)

RIPPA

Reminder that you don't need to use spoiler tags in this thread unless you are posting multiple images and even then - I would prefer the images just not be posted instead of put in spoiler tags but that is another story.

Be interesting to see what happens to the Eternals (2021) with the critical reaction and at the box office. Depends on both. I'm not sure we'll get a sequel. The trailers did little for me. Haven't seen any MCU films this year even though Black Widow (2021) was bought for me on DVD. I will get round to watching it with Shang-Chi and the Ten Rings (2021). Latter drops on Disney+ Day next week. I won't be watching this for a while. Hope to see Spider-Man: No Way Home at the cinema having watched both Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017) and Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019) there.

Edited by The Natural

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

I guess the good thing with the MCU and an ensemble like this is that they can just split up the characters and use them however they want in future projects.

I have a feeling that's exactly what's going to happen.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

I guess the good thing with the MCU and an ensemble like this is that they can just split up the characters and use them however they want in future projects.

1 hour ago, Log said:

I have a feeling that's exactly what's going to happen.

You both said it better than me.

I do not get the negative reviews.   Critics bitched about MCU making the same movie over and over again, MCU makes a different movie, and now the critics are bitching that it's not the familiar formula they expected it to be.

I am going in with low expectations but Holy Fuck, this goddamned thing is over two and a half hours long.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I do not get the negative reviews.   Critics bitched about MCU making the same movie over and over again, MCU makes a different movie, and now the critics are bitching that it's not the familiar formula they expected it to be.

I am going in with low expectations but Holy Fuck, this goddamned thing is over two and a half hours long.

I'd say that's not even a fair criticism. Look at a movie like The Winter Soldier. That's not like Avengers or Iron Man. Guardians of the Galaxy is not like either of those films.

I didn't like Eternals. In my opinion, it's the weakest MCU entry to date. But the reason I didn't like it is that I found it dull, lifeless, boring with tepid characters who lack any type of charisma. The Deviants are absolutely useless. The way they are used here is a letdown. 

What I will say the movie has going for it. You don't need to be aware of the 20+ Marvel films to understand what's going on. It's fairly standalone. It doesn't follow the typical MCU origin story format. 

• Like 3

Yeah, the criticism is nuts. We talk about this all the time. There are some origin issues or tropes that bleed between movies, whether it's the overall jokey tone or the villain as the mirror of the hero or some issues with lighting or whatever, but they work hard to push different subgenres for each movie. Ant-Man's a heist movie. Guardians 1 is Space Opera. Guardians 2 is a family dramedy. Winter Soldier is a spy thriller. Wandavision is a sitcom. Hawkeye is a Christmas Action movie. And on and on and on. And it usually works. If it didn't work here, it was in the ideas and the execution.

• Like 4

Fair enough.  It's just that all of the negative reviews sound the same.  No one is really saying anything substantive about why they don't like Eternals.  If it is drab, I want to know why you feel it is drab and so forth. I just see article after article of the same moaning which just leads you to believe that these people bash the movie because it is en vogue.

You two have conveyed more in a few sentences than some critics have said in an entire article.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Post-Endgame, this is the time to mess around with some new weird stuff while there's goodwill to burn. If it flops, oh well they've still got Spidey on-deck and then Thor and the Guardians and Doctor Strange and Black Panther and all the old favourites. And that's before they pull the lever on the machine that's gonna shit out billion dollar X-Men and Fantastic Four movies until the heat death of the universe. Even if they got a little lost, it's nice that they decided to take something of a risk. Hopefully, however this performers, they trust that the bench is deep and don't get scared off of taking the occasional risk that leads them to find their next surprise Guardians-level hit or whatnot. 

• Like 5

It would be really nice for them to make a serious horror movie sometime, even if it's a Blade redux or a decent Ghost Rider. Or fucking MAN-THING!

And yes I remember Morbius is coming out but ehhhh we'll see.

EDIT: It'll never happen but Tomb of Dracula would be awesome. They could have so many characters in that. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

It would be really nice for them to make a serious horror movie sometime, even if it's a Blade redux or a decent Ghost Rider. Or fucking MAN-THING!

And yes I remember Morbius is coming out but ehhhh we'll see.

EDIT: It'll never happen but Tomb of Dracula would be awesome. They could have so many characters in that. 

Multiverse of Madness, directed by Raimi, is supposed to be more horrific than what they've done so far. But who knows.

There have also been rumors that Blade might debut in Moon Knight as the movie is coming sooner than not, but those are just rumors.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Multiverse of Madness, directed by Raimi, is supposed to be more horrific than what they've done so far. But who knows.

I'm certain that Raimi will do an excellent job and I am sure the movie will have its share of tense moments, but I feel that it won't be as horrific as it would've been if Scott Derrickson were still at the helm.

And I am all in for a Morbius / Blade / Ghost Rider / Man-Thing path to a Midnight Sons feature length scarefest.

Edited by J.T.

The problems they have are certain limits. I never want them to make an R rated movie because I've got a 9 year old that wants to watch this stuff and there's no way to make an R rated movie that still feels like it matters and is essential to the broader universe and i want EVERYTHING to feel like that. That said, it's like the comics code of authority and all the amazing, creative comics that were written under it. You can still handle big ideas in a PG-13 environment. You can still do strong characterization. You can still do clever dialogue that feels real to the world it was in. It forces you to be more creative if you have certain limitations and can't just go to excess for the sake of it. The only people who feel otherwise lack maturity or imagination. I definitely believe that.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

The problems they have are certain limits. I never want them to make an R rated movie because I've got a 9 year old that wants to watch this stuff and there's no way to make an R rated movie that still feels like it matters and is essential to the broader universe and i want EVERYTHING to feel like that. That said, it's like the comics code of authority and all the amazing, creative comics that were written under it. You can still handle big ideas in a PG-13 environment. You can still do strong characterization. You can still do clever dialogue that feels real to the world it was in. It forces you to be more creative if you have certain limitations and can't just go to excess for the sake of it. The only people who feel otherwise lack maturity or imagination. I definitely believe that.

I didn't say anything about the necessity of these movies to have R ratings.   I think it would be appropriate, but a very dark PG-13 could still push the envelope and be a satisfying movie while not freaking out a nine year old.

Or you could be a horrible father like me and watch Poltergeist with your ten year old child to prep them for the good stuff.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I didn't say anything about the necessity of these movies to have R ratings.   I think it would be appropriate, but a very dark PG-13 could still push the envelope and be a satisfying movie while not freaking out a nine year old.

Or you could be a horrible father like me and watch Poltergeist with your ten year old child to prep them for the good stuff.

Raimi is always a little too inspired by Three Stooges and old Popeyes cartoons to maybe push that envelope the right way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

Raimi is always a little too inspired by Three Stooges and old Popeyes cartoons to maybe push that envelope the right way.

Raimi loves his gore and goo based horror baddies which is why I am concerned that Shuma-Gorath will make an appearance in MoM in all of his icky glory.

If anything freaks your kid out, that probably will.

We've pushed back on her even seeing Black Widow because it's super violent and I'm going to probably wait on Eternals based on what I've read (plus it feels like torture to have her sit through a 2 and a half hour movie that people seem to find boring or listless until I'm sure for myself) so I'm already figuring she doesn't see Multiverse of Madness for a little bit. So I'm not super worried in general. It'll be what it is. We'll go see Spider-Man at the end of the year. But I do know my preferences for this stuff. Everyone's got their own line.

• Like 2

There's no right or wrong answer except for being engaged and being supportive. It's such a marathon and it all falls apart in middle school no matter what you've done up til that point anyway and then you just scramble to keep it together for the next six years. But I'm not fighting my wife on this shit just so the kid can watch Black Widow either.

ANYWAY, anyone else see this thing yet?

• Like 2