DVDVR Message Board

UFC 268: Usman vs. Covington II (11/06/2021) - New York, NY (Madison Square Garden)

Elsalvajeloco

Vera with the kick right up the middle (around here, we call that the "toe sniffer" after the Silva/Belfort finish). man, that was shaping up to be a close decision (i would've had it 29-28 for Edgar BTW). Good stoppage, though. I may have said this before, but i'm not a fan of Edgar's "i try to win by the closest decision possible" style (only 6 of his 18 wins were by stoppage). i mean no ill will towards him, but i'm just not a fan of that type of fight. solid fight either way.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, twiztor said:

Good stoppage, though. I may have said this before, but i'm not a fan of Edgar's "i try to win by the closest decision possible" style (only 6 of his 18 wins were by stoppage). i mean no ill will towards him, but i'm just not a fan of that type of fight.

Same boat, exactly right. The commentators aren't wrong when they say that Edgar had a remarkable achievement in winning the 155 lbs. title when there are guys running around at 135 today who are bigger than he is. But with all due respect to what Frankie accomplished, I'm a much bigger fan of how a guy like Vera comes out to mess you up in every way he can think of versus the "I won 51% of the fight, raise my hand please" fight style.

Also, I know DC/Rogan/Anik probably don't need to belabor the point, but Machida has two of those front kick KOs in the UFC. Besides Couture, Vitor Belfort was unfortunately the recipient of the other. 

• Thanks 1

i can't imagine a closer fight. i had Rose 3-2, but man, round 2 easily could have gone either way. Rose took rds 4 & 5 IMO. excellent fight.

edit: whoo. super close fight. split decision.

come on, Usman! i'm hoping for a semi-dominant fight, with Usman focing Covington to tap out. 

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Dog shit 49-46. Fuck outta here.

yeah, 49-46 was questionable to me too. Rose 4 & 5, Weili 1 & 3. Rd 2 either way. Right woman won either way IMO, so no hostilities. Even so, it was close enough that i wouldn't be upset at a decision going the other way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jiji said:

If Covington upsets Usman I'm never watching this sport again, man.

Punches in bunches might win him the fight as long as he remembers to bite down really hard on his mouthguard this time.

I am hoping he gets his jaw broken again.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

If Covington upsets Usman I'm never watching this sport again, man.

I hear you...but I'm also in a "wanna see the world burn" kinda mood tonight. So I'm good either way. Regardless I want one of them knocked out. Don't want the 49-46 judge involved.

• Haha 1