DVDVR Message Board

UFC 268: Usman vs. Covington II (11/06/2021) - New York, NY (Madison Square Garden)

Elsalvajeloco

There is a lot of potential excitement to be had on this card.

Not discussed in the thread yet: the UFC debut of 2-division Glory Kickboxing champion Alex Pereira. I am both intrigued and terrified by the prospect of that guy teeing off on people with 4 oz. gloves.

I am in the camp of people who thinks any discussion of fast tracking him to a match with Adesanya is premature, despite their history. But, if he can stay off the ground he's a big, big KO threat to just about everyone I can think of. Should he win tomorrow, it'll be interesting to see what the UFC does with him.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Teflon Turtle said:

There is a lot of potential excitement to be had on this card.

Not discussed in the thread yet: the UFC debut of 2-division Glory Kickboxing champion Alex Pereira. I am both intrigued and terrified by the prospect of that guy teeing off on people with 4 oz. gloves.

I am in the camp of people who thinks any discussion of fast tracking him to a match with Adesanya is premature, despite their history. But, if he can stay off the ground he's a big, big KO threat to just about everyone I can think of. Should he win tomorrow, it'll be interesting to see what the UFC does with him.

Hopefully, he doesn't catch the Joe Duffy syndrome where he starts well with no hopers but struggles as the competition grows. I think the UFC would have went in the direction of matching him against Conor in a rematch had he actually lived up to his potential.

And as far Glory guys, hopefully he is more Giga Chikadze than Guto Inocente or Gokhan Saki.

• Like 1

Yeah, everything's been starting early this week. Pretty annoying. We did the Timewarp last weekend, but Americans don't until tonight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

hopefully it delivers. not the most exciting of starts so far tonight

...and that KO definitely delivered.

edit: Chris Curtis landed that perfect hook kick, and then double delivered with the post-fight interview. Where has this guy been the last 10 years? he easily could've been a star. I mean, not the champ or anything, but he would've been the Derrick Lewis before "My Balls Was Hot" became a thing. I look forward to seeing him again, but he's already mid-30s, so i don't expect a long run.

Edited by twiztor
added thoughts

Ian "the Future" Garry with the debut KO. lots of potential, but also plenty of holes in his game to close up. 

Imavov looked good in his fight. He had my pick (i have some weird aversion to rooting for anyone nicknamed "Golden Boy"). Cemented himself as a dangerous opponent to whoever's next.

Edited by twiztor
added thoughts

what a fucking turnaround!

edit: Phil Hawes looked like he was about to pull off a flawless victory. faster, more dominant, and controlling the pacing. But all it took was one perfectly placed punch from Curtis and it was all over. Once Hawes ate that shot, he was DONE.

Edited by twiztor
added thoughts

Bobby Green has always struck me as an underachiever, while Iaquinta is more unpredictable (to me) as to how he will perform. This fight basically went the exact opposite as I was expecting. Green completely outclassed Al and shut him down in every aspect. Great win. Green coming in to this fight 8-7-1 in his UFC run seems bizarre to me.