DVDVR Message Board

UFC 268: Usman vs. Covington II (11/06/2021) - New York, NY (Madison Square Garden)

Elsalvajeloco

244137767_10159687364126276_397701548234

UFC 268: Usman vs. Covington II 
November 6, 2021
New York, NY (Madison Square Garden)

UFC Welterweight Championship: Kamaru Usman © (169) vs. Colby Covington (169.4) (fifth defense) - Usman, DEC (unanimous)
UFC Women's Strawweight Championship: Rose Namajunas © (115) vs. Weili Zhang (115) (first defense) - Namajunas, DEC (split)
Frankie Edgar (135.6) vs. Marlon Vera (135) - Vera, KO (front kick), R3 (3:50)
Shane Burgos (145.6) vs. Billy Quarantillo (145.4) - Burgos, DEC (unanimous)
Justin Gaethje (155.6) vs. Michael Chandler (155.2) - Gaethje, DEC (unanimous)

ESPNews / ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Alex Pereira (185.8) vs. Andreas Michailidis (185) - Pereira, KO (flying knee), R2 (0:18)
Al Iaquinta (155.8) vs. Bobby Green (155.2) - Green, TKO (punches), R1 (2:25)
Phil Hawes (185.4) vs. Chris Curtis (186) - Curtis, KO (punch), R1 (4:27)
Edmen Shahbazyan (185.4) vs. Nassourdine Imavov (184.6) - Imavov, TKO (elbows), R2 (4:42)

ESPN+ / Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Ian Garry (169.6) vs. Jordan Williams (170.6) - Garry, KO (punches), R1 (4:59)
Gian Villante (260.6) vs. Chris Barnett (263.8) - Barnett, TKO (spinning wheel kick and punches), R2 (2:23)
Dustin Jacoby (203.4) vs. John Allan (205) - Jacoby, DEC (unanimous)
Melsik Baghdasaryan (145.4) vs. Bruno Souza (148.4)** - Baghdasaryan, DEC (unanimous)
CJ Vergara (127.4)* vs. Ode Osbourne (125.2) - Osbourne, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight    
**Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight    

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Chris Barnett
Performance of the Night: Bobby Green
Performance of the Night: Alex Pereira
Performance of the Night: Marlon Vera
Fight of the NightJustin Gaethje vs. Michael Chandler

Attendance: 20,715
Gate: $9.9 million
Buyrate: 700,000

• Like 1

I wonder if there was any planetary alignment taking place to book co-main event the rematch between Thug Rose and Zhang to be on the same card as the Usman / Covington rematch or if was just a matter of formality?  

Zhang and Namajunas could've main evented a PPV all on their own, but the logic of booking a gigantic card for MSG is obvious to see.

Edited by J.T.

32 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I wonder if there was any planetary alignment taking place to book co-main event the rematch between Thug Rose and Zhang to be on the same card as the Usman / Covington rematch or if was just a matter of formality? 

Zhang and Namajunas could've main evented a PPV all on their own, but the logic of booking a gigantic card for MSG is obvious to see.

Well Usman, Rose, and Gaethje are all trained by Trevor Wittman. He probably prefers to have them all peak at the same time as opposed to having one person begin their camp while the others are finishing up. Also, he doesn't have to break camp to corner someone.

Since Wittman isn't heading up a giant gym, he can put all his focus into those three rather than spreading himself thin. So if he has a shot to get all three on the same card, he probably feels better about their chances of winning. 

• Like 1

Rose Namajunas has two of the biggest MMA upsets ever:

• vs. Joanna Jędrzejczyk at MSG, UFC 217 for the UFC Women's Strawweight Championship. UFC 217 gets my vote as the best UFC event ever and one of the best MMA shows of all time.
  • vs. Weili Zhang to regain the title.

Justin Gaethje vs. Michael Chandler is the fight I'm most looking forward to. Love the Lightweight Division. Best weight class in MMA for at least a decade.

Hope Frankie Edgar gets back in the win column. Sucked seeing him out cold to Corey Sandhagen's flying knee last time out.

Edited by The Natural

13 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Re: what @J.T. mentioned earlier

That makes practical sense, but I don't ever remember a PPV having the rematches of the main event and co-main of a previous event.  It just strikes me as extraordinary, but MSG has to have a gigantic draw because the venue deserves it and these two fights may be the most anticipated ones of the year.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

FDTG1JwWYAcdTNL?format=jpg&name=large

What's interesting about Rose Namajunas record is she only has two knockout victories but what knockouts against Joanna in their first fight and Zhang last night. Massive upsets. When it comes to massive upsets as the underdog, it's her and Randy Couture.

Edited by The Natural

Hoping for a Trevor Wittman trifecta on Saturday. Wouldn’t put it past Weili to find a way to stop Rose (I know half of fuck-all about MMA to be honest though, mostly follow for the spectacle and soap opera drama when pro-wres can’t fill the hole!). Michael Chandler is hilariously cheesy throughout those Embedded videos, wow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Custos said:

Hoping for a Trevor Wittman trifecta on Saturday. Wouldn’t put it past Weili to find a way to stop Rose (I know half of fuck-all about MMA to be honest though, mostly follow for the spectacle and soap opera drama when pro-wres can’t fill the hole!). Michael Chandler is hilariously cheesy throughout those Embedded videos, wow.

I'm also hoping for Trevor Wittman fighters going 3-0.

Friendly alert that the main card starts at 2am and not the usual 3am UK time so check your listings.

It is hard to get really excited for Usman vs Covington II because short of something breaking half the bones in their body there will be a Usman vs Covington III.    Especially if the Trump shit gets momentum again

Edited by hammerva

Oh, it's not hard for me to get amped.  I really want Usman to kill Covington again, but Colby is always a dangerous fighter and has a lot of will.  If Usman allows Colby to pepper him with punches and serve up death by accumulation, it's going to be a long night for Kamaru.  If Kamaru beats Covington again, Colby will have a hard time making a case as to make as to why there should be a third fight, unless he makes a convincing counterargument by clearing out all gateway challengers.

I will be happy no matter who wins Rose vs. Zhang, but I hope that Zhang studied up and this fight goes further than one round.  If Zhang falls for Rose's feint game again and doesn't respect the feet, she's going back to sleep.

Edited by J.T.

Colby beats guys through accumulation and breaking down their will with pressure. Usman is a rock mentally, has endless gas, and a granite chin, not to mention he could take Covington down whenever he wants or pin him against the cage and smother the life outta him. Last time, he deliberately avoided too much grappling because he wanted to break Covington's jaw, and he did. I don't think there's a lot of drama in that fight though the first fight was dramatic. Maybe I'm selling Covington's power short but I don't think anybody can out point Usman over 25 minutes. I'd enjoy Usman smashing him with elbows from full or half guard the entire fight. 

Most hyped for people's champ Weili Zhang to crush and cut a glorious promo on behalf of the PRC. Lfg. Just survive that first round plz. 

Burgos/Quarantillo is going to be a helluva fight. 

Edited by Jiji