DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOV 2021

The Natural

22 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Man, if there's ever a thing that deserves to be cross posted it's that article on Eddie.  Fucking hell that's incredible stuff.

Jesus Christ.  I have to strongly second this.  Just an amazing article. 

Eddie's a tough guy.  He's an all-caps TOUGH GUY.  He's right to call out the old-timers who'd tell him to keep that shit to himself.  

I do see one big problem for AEW in the near future.  They're not going to be able to turn Mox or Eddie heel.  How the hell do you expect me to boo those guys knowing what I know about them?  Actually, that's not true.  If they turned, I'd boo them.  Read the part in Eddie's article about the lady at the show with 8 people.  That's why I'd boo the shit out of them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Eddie’s full of these beautiful contradictions. Like, he’s trying to evolve past what he thought masculinity was as a kid but he still thinks the guys who worked with his dad who died of liver damage or lung cancer before they were 60 are the epitome of toughness. It’s so human. He’s talking about a lifetime as a process of becoming and creating, and taking stock of the small victories to keep going. Just wow. 

• Like 10

Brodie Lee getting him mentally ready for his debut says everything about that guy.

I know he's not beating Punk and I'm not for lifetime achievement belt runs, but this fucking guy really should win the belt because he's the realest and best talker in wrestling today and it's not close. He's also great in the ring. He has an incredible personal story. I'm guessing the world title picture is Hangman to MJF to possibly Jungle Boy (tho he's not close to ready I do feel like that's what they've been building to) or Bryan. I hope Kingston forces their hand. Fuck the TNT title. World. 

• Like 9

Kingston is one of the most selfless guys out there so you know he'd never force anyone's hand, but he's also a quality representative of the company and humanity in general so you'd think there would be a title reign in his future at some point.

He talks about his panic issues so much that I think he may prefer to be the eternal hunter and not want to deal with the in ring / out ring pressures of holding a title in an up and coming company like AEW.  There is a lot expected of him and placed upon as it is and he's not even a champion.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Popular backing got him signed and TK is a mark and a fan so I am thinking it is just a matter of time, unless it is King himself saying "Don't put a belt on me, bro.  I'm good where I am."  Eddie may be good just cashing checks and wrestling instant classics.

AFAIK, AEW still has a good relationship with NJPW so maybe they'll put Eddie into a program where he wins the IWGP US Title or the NEVER Openweight belt?  He could still be a title holder in AEW without winning a company belt thanks to the opening of the forbidden door.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I don't know that I've ever been happier for anyone in wrestling than I am for Kingston right at this moment. I cried a bunch reading that thing, especially A) having my own similar issues and B) knowing I was among the "little birds" asking for him to be signed, literally while he was still laying on the ramp. I really kind of needed to read that today. Massive, massive respect to that guy.

• Like 11

As I mentioned in the other thread, Eddie is more Dusty the character than either of Dusty's own kids.  Chubby, charismatic working man, won't win them all (or even most), but will damn sure always be in the fight.  Always real.  You could definitely see him in the alley eating pork and beans.

I need to read the article but one of the funniest Eddie stories was one he told on a podcast.  It's better if you hear it in Eddie's voice...he was young and he stepped to his mom.  His dad grabbed him with the quickness and yelled JUST REMEMBAH!  SHE WAS MY WIFE BEFORE SHE WAS YOUR MUTHA!

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I remember watching the Tupelo Concessions Stand Brawl during some Dorkfest at Dean's crib one time.  I think we did a scientific comparison between the original and the later concessions stand brawl between Lawler / Jarrett and the Moondogs.  I still hate the WWE for making the Moondogs less scary.

Anyway, I am not sure how much tape we watched that day or how much pizza we ate.  All I remember is Dean's daughters re-did my kid's hair perfectly and told me point blank that my braiding skills needed work.  I've gotten better since then.

Fucking Eddie Kingston making me remember stuff.  I'll never get these IAVAs done at this rate.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Eddie has to go over in one of his feuds. I can see Punk being that guy.

I don't think Eddie will go over, but really, he could.  The story is pretty simple.  Punk is rusty after all those years off and just isn't ready to hang with someone that rough.  Punk can wrap up his "I'm just happy to be back" phase and move onto "Time to get serious!"

• Like 5

Eddie winning or Punk turning heel feel like the likely options. I'd be most impressed to see Punk win and for him to talk himself back to strong babyface status the following Wednesday, that's the ballsy move. But that Player's Tribune piece hitting right now feels like an obvious set-up for an Eddie win. Hope I'm wrong. 

• Like 5

Eddie should win. And he and Mox really can't turn heel at this point anymore. It'd be like when they tried to turn Eddie Guerrero on Tajiri, and the fans no-sold it and still cheered him.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ace said:

Eddie should win. And he and Mox really can't turn heel at this point anymore. It'd be like when they tried to turn Eddie Guerrero on Tajiri, and the fans no-sold it and still cheered him.

I will never boo Eddie Kingston.

• Like 4

That'd be an interesting one. Eddie's going to find himself in a different place with the fanbase than Mox was when they booed him (where he was an established top guy, steady hand, largely presented one way over the life of the company taking on the ascendant, soon-to-be-crowned top babyface). I think an Eddie-Hangman confrontation would have a crowd that leans Kingston. His connection ticks that "organic" box that people seem to like, while it's clearer to see how Hangman's push has been engineered from day one. After Page's coronation, I suspect the people's appetite to see Eddie succeed would somewhat supersede their love of Adam. 

• Like 3

Eddie is very good. He’d have easily fit in the heyday 90s/2000s. The DDP comparison further up thread is one I’ve made myself and it feels apt for him. A bit of a Foley/DDP hybrid. He’s been booked wonkily at times (“exploding” barbed wire for example; that silly stuff with butcher and blade) but still came out strong. He would have made a very good TNT champion following Miro’s run and to consolidate there before a World title program some time in 2022 - shame they didn’t go that way. Instead he’s in a bit of a crowded part of the card at the moment so further upside feels limited.

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

Popular backing got him signed and TK is a mark and a fan so I am thinking it is just a matter of time, unless it is King himself saying "Don't put a belt on me, bro.  I'm good where I am."  Eddie may be good just cashing checks and wrestling instant classics.

Your cashing checks line makes me wonder what he's making there... and a little fearful that more money = more access to shit that will stick him right back in the hole if he's not careful.

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

They’re trying to teach us the New Testament and I’m trying to German suplex a motherfucker into the chalkboard. It was out of control. 

- Eddie Kinsgston

T-shirt. Now.

• Like 2