DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOV 2021

The Natural

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

my condolences. 

Maybe Technico was one of the countless WCW stars in the crowd who couldn't get booked on the biggest show in company history. Man, it seems much cooler in boxing and MMA when fighters' contemporaries sit in the crowd and watch the spectacle. In pro wrestling, it just makes them seem like losers unless it's a Radicalz situation.

12 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Was Ivellise ever accused of being dangerous? I know she's a world-class asshole and incredibly unprofessional, but I wouldn't wish injury on her, just don't let her have a job...

Since I had time, I checked out some of Thunder Rosa's recent vlogs on her channel. Judging by her personality and interactions with a lot of the women (sidenote: Aubrey is fucking zany as hell) backstage, she along with Serena come off as almost den mother type figures IMO. She's talking with Serena, Shida, Stat, Anna Jay, and Nyla. Some of the girls working Dark tapings like La Rosa Negra. She's dressing up like Penelope Ford for Halloween, which is hilarious. I can see where if you run afoul of her, you might not be long for that particular locker room.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Maybe Technico was one of the countless WCW stars in the crowd who couldn't get booked on the biggest show in company history. Man, it seems much cooler in boxing and MMA when fighters' contemporaries sit in the crowd and watch the spectacle. In pro wrestling, it just makes them seem like losers unless it's a Radicalz situation.

Since I had time, I checked out some of Thunder Rosa's recent vlogs on her channel. Judging by her personality and interactions with a lot of the women (sidenote: Aubrey is fucking zany as hell) backstage, she along with Serena come off as almost den mother type figures IMO. She's talking with Serena, Shida, Stat, Anna Jay, and Nyla. Some of the girls working Dark tapings like La Rosa Negra. She's dressing up like Penelope Ford for Halloween, which is hilarious. I can see where if you run afoul of her, you might not be long for that particular locker room.

Exactly - a sense that some of the veterans realize they have something very good, and are determined to not let someone ruin it.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

Was Ivellise ever accused of being dangerous? I know she's a world-class asshole and incredibly unprofessional, but I wouldn't wish injury on her, just don't let her have a job...

Sounded like she was intentionally dangerous with Thunder Rosa. 

Heeeeeyyyy!  Cagematch.net said

Spoiler

Nyla Rose and Emi Sakura beat Ryo Mizunami and Ruby Soho.  BUT THEY DIDN'T!!  WHAT THE FUCK!  I love when that happpens.  Spoiled spoilers!  Mizunami is so naturally over.

That match was awesome.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, (BP) said:

I’m going to have to watch some Taya matches. I’ve only seen her wrestle once and it was live, and I don’t remember a thing except that South Philly mutants were screaming awful things at her the entire match. Then she came out in a hoodie and sat by herself to watch Morrison wrestle among the same creeps. I’m sure she has thicker skin than me, but I felt badly about it. 

I'd recommend:
vs. Tessa Blanchard (Street Fight from Impact: Uncaged, 2/15/19) - my personal favorite match of 2019. They have a few other great matches together as well.
vs. Madison Rayne (5/11/19 IMPACT) - also some of Madison's best work.
vs. Havok/Rosemary/Su Yung (Monster's Ball, Slammiversary 2019)- awesome violent brawl with some brutal spots
vs. Tenille Dashwood (4/14/20 IMPACT)

On 11/7/2021 at 6:52 PM, Wyld Samurai said:

What about the rest of The Freebabes(?)?

Jazzy Yang is pretty young but stood out a lot when they worked NWA EmPowerrr a few months back

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I sometimes throw the YouTube shows as background noise.  I do like the loose nature of the booth with guys fucking around.  That show or excalibur joked that they found where Tony Schiavone was when Dan got introduced.  That mark Henry dropped the chris rock "how much for one rib".  

I like dynamic of nyla being the overpowering bully of the division but Ryo just say bring it on and being like the one person on the women's roster who can throw bombs with her.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

I sometimes throw the YouTube shows as background noise.  I do like the loose nature of the booth with guys fucking around.  That show or excalibur joked that they found where Tony Schiavone was when Dan got introduced.  That mark Henry dropped the chris rock "how much for one rib".  

Henry's comedy was so on point during the show.  When all of the mystery people showed up at the end of Mizunami / Soho vs Beast / Emi to beat down the faces, he was like, "There are so many of them.  It's like Wu Tang Clan."  I LOLed.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

The women’s tag ruled! They should put Nyla and the Gatoh Move gals together as an official unit. Ryo and Ruby would be a great team for a women’s tag division if they wise up and pull the trigger on that eventually. 

Super fun 8-man tags are pretty much a staple of the AEW house style at this point. 

I loved Show and Henry commiserating about not being able to do superplexes without breaking the ring.

• Like 3

More nitpicks this week, but also an amazing marketable idea that I'm giving away for free:

Dark Elevation 11/8/21

Hobbs vs Dan Adams: Hobbs needed a big win after his high profile losses and he did get to crush Dan the Dad here, but it was not what he needed. Past the avalanche in the corner where the glasses went flying and the fact he picked him up when he could have pinned him, I just didn't think this was what was the thing. There are a ton of really low heels of the Serpentico/Solo/RSP variety (and I get that's a range in and of itself) in AEW, but less low level babyfaces. Am I right about that? Anyway, a comedy wimpy wasn't the snapback win Hobbs needed. That's the entirety of my point. Plus I kind of think they should bill him at more than 270. 290 sounds better. Ok, enough nitpicks.

Best Friends vs Butcher/Blade: I liked this in theory, with Butcher and Blade using underhanded tricks and solid tag team wrestling and capitalizing on Yuta's inexperience with a fairly hot finishing stretch. In practice, I'm not sure. Blade and Yuta had a fairly sloppy exchange with Yuta going through legs and what not and it did feel kind of competitive and uncooperative but it's the one thing in the match you really did want to look smooth and slick instead because that would have gotten Yuta over as a whiz kid instead of someone scrappy enough to hang on and make things work. It's weird but I almost wish there were two different tag divisions, one with Lucha Bros and Young Bucks and Private Party and Santana/Ortiz and one with FTR and Butcher/Blade and the Varsity Blonds and 2.0. It's like they're doing entirely different things and whenever they mix, it's sort of terrible.

Riho vs Tootie Lynn: Maybe not the best showcase match for Tootie, who was over with this crowd. If she was going to be over anyway, maybe give her someone other than the most likable person on the roster to face? Her shots were good in theory but the actual contact never seemed to click with Riho. The Northern Lights towards the end was beautiful and probably should have been the finish. I get that she worked towards the double stomp and missed it but then she hit the smaller one to set up the Northern Lights, so it would have been fine.

Matt Hardy vs Dean Alexander: Yeah, see, it would have been better to switch Alexander and Dan the Dad in the card. The crowd was into Hardy's name value and star power so it was good he tried to switch things around with the mic thing to start, but then the match didn't work right to capitalize on it. The fans just started their Let's Go Dean chants when he was on offense and then didn't go up for him at all when he was working from underneath. I'd put more of that on Dean than Hardy, though maybe it was a case that Hardy should have let him get one more move in and then bask in the chants? I'd like a world where the superplex could end a match like this instead of just setting up the Leech but in this world that we actually live in, it's fine as the superplex was still pretty respected here.

Ryo Mizunami/Ruby Soho vs Emi Sakura/Nyla Rose: Fun match. Nyla looked good in general and she seemed to be having fun in there with Emi. She took that missed swanton pretty hard. No roll through there. Ryo doing the air guitar uncomfortably long was great. I liked the attempts at the double underhook backbreaker and how they didn't work only for it to be used post match (and it was leading to the swanton which didn't work before Statlander came in). Shame that they debut Emi with her just randomly being there. That's kind of sloppy, right? The post corner body press was wonderful as always but I didn't think Ruby had taken enough damage to just stand there forever as Emi did the We Will Rock You stomp/clap to set it up. Statlander needed to at least try a boop after Soho pulled her back. Mind games, folks.

Here's what this match showed me 100%. Tony Khan is leaving money on the table if he doesn't do a Rock'n'Wrestling cartoon with the women's roster. There was just so much color and character in the ring. Just in this match alone you had Emi and the Killer Queens, Nyla and Vickie, Soho, Ryo, and Statlander. Add in Rosa, Taya, Anna and her weird cult thing, Britt and company, Leyla as the bully slayer, Penelope Ford, Diamante, and Jade and I swear there's a cartoon series right there. I don't know how you'd work Shida, Red Velvet, Deeb, Swole, and maybe you don't want to use Abadon or the Bunny, but... it's a great roster but a brilliant Saturday Morning TV Show. Someone commission some art for that and pitch Khan or something.

Acclaimed/2.0 vs Dark Order: Very disappointed that the rap didn't work in 2.0 somehow. It's fun to watch Uno even when he's not wrestling because he carries himself differently than most people you've ever seen. Different stance, different body language, etc. Also, him messing up the Acclaimed hang signals was pretty funny. It was good for Bowens to get to work him and Danielson in the same week. Very Nitro feel to this as they were talking about Omega vs Page throughout it. Crowd wanted Silver throughout this and they gave Grayson the hot tag. He did a great job (and every one fed for him well; I really liked Caster's sell of the DDT after the big catch), but since Grayson was just about to get dumped anyway, I would have liked it more if he tagged to Silver after quickly losing the advantage again so that there was a bit more of a hot tag feel to it. I don't a ton to say about the finishing stretch other than 2.0 fed really well for Uno. Feels like a band situation right now where they have to figure out how to balance how over Silver's getting in that niche attraction role with everyone else.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, Matt D said:

. It's weird but I almost wish there were two different tag divisions, one with Lucha Bros and Young Bucks and Private Party and Santana/Ortiz and one with FTR and Butcher/Blade and the Varsity Blonds and 2.0. It's like they're doing entirely different things and whenever they mix, it's sort of terrible.

They let the fliers get their stuff in even when it’s not practical or sensible. The traditional teams should be doing ground and pound heat segments with the fliers getting a few flashy hope spots instead of making them all wrestle the same speed. Butcher and Blade are really cool, but they’re not the guys to be doing convoluted counter exchanges and spotfests. 

Pulitzer Prize winning author, Eddie Kingston. 

This fucking shit right here.  I've got a meeting to go to in an hour.  I can't go brief the Colonel with red puffy eyes.  Who is chopping onions in the fucking break room?

40 minutes ago, Matt D said:

It's fun to watch Uno even when he's not wrestling because he carries himself differently than most people you've ever seen. Different stance, different body language, etc.

Uno's entrance walk is the best.  He has sooo much swagger.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Man, if there's ever a thing that deserves to be cross posted it's that article on Eddie.  Fucking hell that's incredible stuff.

That article was simply amazing; I could here his voice in my head as I was reading this. That took some real courage. 

• Like 5