DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOV 2021

The Natural

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Bringing in a bunch of workers to make oodles more money is the recipe that broke WCW so I'd rather that not happen to AEW.

It's shocking how often this inaccurate talking point is repeated as fact lol. (Love yours posts JT so this isn't a shot at you).

Two things broke WCW. And neither were related to money / contracts at all.

1. WCW went PG. Wording it like that may be confusing. But once AOL & Time Warner started the merger process, it was handed down to WCW creative to be more family friendly. They had to deal with standards and practices toning down the show. There's no way you can creatively compete with Attitude Era WWE with those kind of handcuffs on. Especially since WCW thrived on the more reality based stuff. Like the nWo. But they had to pivot to dumb Ric Flair somehow becomes WCW president after visiting an insane asylum junk.

2. AOL / Time Warner didn't want wrestling on their books. It was not successful when they pulled the plug on it. But they still would have pulled the plug on it even if it was successful. The landscape changed. Wrestling at the time went from inoffensive lowbrow tv, to full on toxic for advertisers. WWE going full on Attitude era brought on so much negative press for wrestling as a whole. So while yes WCW did lose an insane amount of money in 2000, that's not really a factor in why they pulled the plug. You also have to understand the way the books worked at Turner to see how WCW took on more losses than they should have. Like all their home video releases ended up in the ledger for Turner Home Entertainment, not WCW. And how WCW had to pay all production costs for Thunder & Nitro from their books, even tho it should have been coming from the networks they aired on's books. Shit like that.

• Like 3

Don't forget the complete lack of creative during their hottest period, coupled with the "inmates running the asylum" business model.  I went to Starrcade 97 and you could feel, leaving the building, how deflated the crowd was.  No way does a company with real direction and a booker who's not being told what to do by the boys finishes the biggest show of the year with that shit sandwich.

Then they built a hot act in Goldberg, only to do nothing with him and then he got eaten up by politics as well. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

So she can go to AEW and do what?  Job to Thunder Rosa or Jade Cargill?

She could help ladies like Cargill, Red Velvet, and Anna Jay, etc. get better by providing them with another solid veteran to work with.

They can’t all work with Serena Deeb every week, unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I just stared in disbelief at my television set.  This thing was the greatest thing.

https://video.twimg.com/amplify_video/1286104712605884417/vid/1280x720/db4CNB95O-5A43-w.mp4?tag=13

That shit is too funny. I forgot he canned the dude at the end. 

EDIT: Also, all this badmouthing Impact just reminds me that I need to watch more Impact. Some of you guys are real jerks. There is nothing wrong with Impact.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

It's shocking how often this inaccurate talking point is repeated as fact lol. (Love yours posts JT so this isn't a shot at you).

Two things broke WCW. And neither were related to money / contracts at all.

No offense taken and I actually enjoy counterpoints so that I can absorb them and maybe fill in the holes in my knowledge that may have been stuffed with misinformation.  I am old and cranky and have horrible opinions and remember things wrong sometimes.

I totally agree that the combination of self inflicted wounds and shady corporate stuff killed WCW, so I think it's best that TK mind his payroll and spend it wisely.

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

She could help ladies like Cargill, Red Velvet, and Anna Jay, etc. get better by providing them with another solid veteran to work with.

I agree, but I still think that Taya would get a better shake at Impact.  TK should totally hire Rok-C though now that she's been released from her RoH contract.

I'd hire Taya over Ember Moon or Mia Yim if I were forced to choose between the three WWE layoffs.

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

They can’t all work with Serena Deeb every week, unfortunately.

The fuck they can't!  Serena Deeb is a machine.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I think one thing to remember is that TK is one of us. He's a fan. He's witnessed what happened to WCW. I'll trust his judgment until he makes me regret it lol

I get pushed articles sometimes and occasionally, whether I want them or not. You'll see "Former WWF and WCW writer..." and you know it's Russo crap since he's been more engaged over the last few months, including trying to talk to Vince. I tend not to look but it's clickbait and sometimes I take it. He was hot after Vince dismissed the talk he wanted to have with him or whatever and said that Khan needed to hire him to shoot on Vince and that the only reason Khan wouldn't is that he's got bad people in his ear.

I found it all hilarious. Of course Khan isn't going to hire Russo. Khan is one of us. He lived through it. Russo's the worst pariah imaginable. It's not because he's got anyone whispering in his ears. It's because he's got PTSD over Juvi hitting Liger in the head with a tequila bottle in a five minute match.

• Like 8

I'd say Taya and Ember about even, Mia a bit behind, Rox-C definitely needs to be signed, she's a better prospect than Anna Jay.

I'd love to see AEW sign Josh Woods, he'd be unique there.  Perhaps make him Malakai's enforcer, or have MJF bring him in to replace Wardlow?

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I think one thing to remember is that TK is one of us. He's a fan. He's witnessed what happened to WCW. I'll trust his judgment until he makes me regret it lol

Yes he's one of us and even we have horrible opinions sometimes and do dumb things on occasion.  I totally want him to succeed but even though he's a fan, he still needs to approach signings with some business wisdom.  Just sayin'.  Doing everything that the fans want you to do will put you in bankruptcy court because we have no concept of budget or resources.  We just assume that TK has all the money in the world.

Edited by J.T.

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Yes he's one of us and even we have horrible opinions sometimes and do dumb things on occasion.  I totally want him to succeed but even though he's a fan, he still needs to approach signings with some business wisdom.  Just sayin'.  Doing everything that the fans want you to do will put you in bankruptcy court because we have no concept of budget or resources.  We just assume that TK has all the money in the world.

Tony has been in a family who has run multi million/billion dollar businesses throughout his life, some of which he had responsibility in running. He probably has a pretty good idea about budgeting lol. But I get what you're saying and I think if this was anyone else who didn't have TK's wrestling history knowledge and business experience, I would share the same worries.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Tony has been in a family who has run multi million/billion dollar businesses throughout his life, some of which he had responsibility in running. He probably has a pretty good idea about budgeting lol. But I get what you're saying and I think if this was anyone else who didn't have TK's wrestling history knowledge and business experience, I would share the same worries.

Yeah.  I'm not saying that TK isn't a good businessman.  Just sayin' that when he's signing workers, he needs to think like a fan as well as a mogul.

So far he's done a great job and I have no doubt that he will continue to do so.  I just feel that you need to watch your return on investment with this flood of new workers on the market.  AEW does not need to sign everybody.. ESPECIALLY NOT NIA JAX~!

I'd even balk at signing Jonathan Gresham and I am a huge Octopus mark.  I think he'd also be in a better space in Impact working in the same fed as his wife and not destroying his personal schedule.

Rok-C should be in an AEW ring before the ink on her deal dries.  That kid is gonna be big.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Matt D said:

It's because he's got PTSD over Juvi hitting Liger in the head with a tequila bottle in a five minute match.

I'd forgotten all about this.

Thanks, asshole.

• Haha 5
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Can AEW give one-night deals to Nia Jax and Ivelisse?

I would totally sign Nia Jax so that she could job to Julia Hart on Dark.

Then your Bleacher Report clickbait article could read FORMER WWE CHAMPION DEBUTS ON DARK IN A STUNNING UPSET~!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

47 minutes ago, alstein said:

I'd love to see AEW sign Josh Woods, he'd be unique there.  Perhaps make him Malakai's enforcer, or have MJF bring him in to replace Wardlow?

I am dumb and sentimental so I'd totally sign Homicide to have Eddie Kingston's back..  and then I'd probably turn Santana and Ortiz heel and have a new PR Perros del Mal stable going on.

Edited by J.T.

18 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Can AEW give one-night deals to Nia Jax and Ivelisse?  I desperately need to see them "work" "together."

It'd be a big shift if Tony suddenly develops a hunger for booking needless public humiliation like certain other promotors. Gonna guess this is a no. Then again, he is one of us... So who knows? 

Anyway, Impact is fine and anything that results in Taya getting more time to perform is good with me. Her in AEW will be fine too, and I'd hope she gets to work a few of the bigger names somewhat consistently. But forget this current round of releases, I'm still sitting here waiting patiently on Windham...

That show was booked so ass backwards. Unreal. Beating every face and then having Sting look like a fucking jobber who can't even get anything in before getting pinned. Fast count or not, what's that bullshit? It's the complete opposite of what was build. 

I have strong opinions about former WWF/WCW/WWE Champion Terry Bollea which you should PM me about. But I wanted to express them here too because I can't help myself! 

That filter, hahahahaha

Edited by MoeCristyV.1.6
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Can AEW give one-night deals to Nia Jax and Ivelisse?  I desperately need to see them "work" "together."

Only if they tell them each a different finish.

No, the word going around is that Nia is pretty popular in the WWE locker room for standing up to Charlotte. I don't think bringing her into AEW would be particularly smart, but it wouldn't be a lit match to gasoline the way some folks are saying. 

I'd definitely prioritize Keith Lee, Ember Moon and Mia Yim. Taya would be nice for AEW to have, and would be the optimal landing spot for her, but she's a luxury, not a necessity.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, just drew said:

Only if they tell them each a different finish.

No, the word going around is that Nia is pretty popular in the WWE locker room for standing up to Charlotte. I don't think bringing her into AEW would be particularly smart, but it wouldn't be a lit match to gasoline the way some folks are saying. 

I'd definitely prioritize Keith Lee, Ember Moon and Mia Yim. Taya would be nice for AEW to have, and would be the optimal landing spot for her, but she's a luxury, not a necessity.

I think it’d be more like a ticking time bomb for the well being of any of the women that had to wrestle her considering how terrible and reckless she is in the ring.