DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOV 2021

The Natural

If this has been covered, apologies. Does AEW require its wrestlers to be vaccinated or simply to test negative? I think the answer to this question might play a factor in which wrestlers released by WWE are pursued by TK. I have sneaking suspicions that a few of the people that pique his curiosity are not vaccinated (Not talking about Nia Jax...TK wouldn't do that to his locker room). 

12 hours ago, Casey said:

Taya Valkyrie deserves better than to be in fuckin' Impact or MLW or whatever. She is a goddamn star, sign her Coach TK!

Taya would debut in Impact as an instant #1 contender to the Knockouts title and she'll be hotshotted to another title reign.

4 hours ago, punkenhead said:

If this has been covered, apologies. Does AEW require its wrestlers to be vaccinated or simply to test negative? I think the answer to this question might play a factor in which wrestlers released by WWE are pursued by TK. I have sneaking suspicions that a few of the people that pique his curiosity are not vaccinated (Not talking about Nia Jax...TK wouldn't do that to his locker room). 

Test negative. Same as WWE. They don't have a vaccine mandate. Plus, they are based in Florida.

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Taya might be happier as a big fish in a small pond. 

I think she'll be treated better in Impact where she already has a strong legacy and she had the wisdom to part on good terms.

Edited by J.T.

I’m going to have to watch some Taya matches. I’ve only seen her wrestle once and it was live, and I don’t remember a thing except that South Philly mutants were screaming awful things at her the entire match. Then she came out in a hoodie and sat by herself to watch Morrison wrestle among the same creeps. I’m sure she has thicker skin than me, but I felt badly about it. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Taya would debut in Impact as an instant #1 contender to the Knockouts title and she'll be hotshotted to another title reign.

You know what’s better than that?

Not having to be at Impact at all.

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

So she can go to AEW and do what?  Job to Thunder Rosa or Jade Cargill?

Make oodles more money, work fewer dates and be on actual television, leading to more exposure for her multiple interests outside wrestling? Plus, Taya vs. Rosa is a ppv level matchup. Sign me up for that….

15 minutes ago, just drew said:

Make oodles more money, work fewer dates and be on actual television, leading to more exposure for her multiple interests outside wrestling? Plus, Taya vs. Rosa is a ppv level matchup. Sign me up for that….

Bringing in a bunch of workers to make oodles more money is the recipe that broke WCW so I'd rather that not happen to AEW.  As far as working fewer dates goes, Impact tapes months of shows in one shot and then the workers go off to do whatever.  Impact made a flexible deal with Jordynne Grace so that she could keep her day job as a legal receptionist and still focus on training and working shows.

I don't think Taya's schedule would be that hectic and I think she'd get a better deal than most since she's got legacy on her side as the longest reigning KO champion.

Since Impact and AEW plan on partnering up for more angles in the future, we could very well see Rosa vs. Taya on an AEW PPV even if Taya works Impact.

Edited by J.T.

10 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Bringing in a bunch of workers to make oodles more money is the recipe that broke WCW so I'd rather that not happen to AEW.  As far as working fewer dates goes, Impact tapes months of shows in one shot and then the workers go off to do whatever. 

I don't think Taya's schedule would be that hectic and I think she'd get a better deal than most since she's got legacy on her side as the longest reigning KO champion.

Since Impact and AEW plan on partnering up for more angles in the future, we could very well see Rosa vs. Taya on an AEW PPV even if Taya works Impact.

You know what else Taya could do to be on AEW ppv? Sign with AEW.

There is nothing she could do on Impact that wouldn’t be overshadowed simply by appearing on AEW tv. TK could pay her 5x what impact can and not even notice. 

Impact is for people with no other options. 90% of the people there are either trying to prove they aren’t the piece of shit they were made to look like on wwe tv (Cardona) or are trying to repair their backstage reputations (CazXL). Why would Taya waste her time on a tiny budget glorified Indy when she will probably have other options when her non compete is up?

As for AEW & Impact continuing to work together, reminding people that impact still exists is about all the trouble TK needs to go to…

16 minutes ago, just drew said:

There is nothing she could do on Impact that wouldn’t be overshadowed simply by appearing on AEW tv. TK could pay her 5x what impact can and not even notice. 

TK could also bring in 10x the amount of emerging talent for what he'd pay Taya alone.

Besides, if you're that concerned about Taya's welfare, you'll tune in no matter where she goes.  I will be there if she challenges Mickie James who is in a career renaissance right now as the grumpy elder stateswoman.

16 minutes ago, just drew said:

Impact is for people with no other options.

The quality of recent mid-cards says otherwise.  Impact appears to be learning the good lessons that AEW has learned and is beginning to cultivate their talent.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 9:33 AM, Craig H said:

Oh yeah...Pandemic era gave us Archer in bum fights vignettes and murdering poor Marko Stunt.

I miss Archer bursting into the locker room and putting dudes through the ceiling.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

@jt, I think we might just fundamentally disagree on a) the reason a person gets into the wrestling business and b), impacts place in the hierarchy of wrestling tv shows. Taya might would be treated as a bigger star in impact, but AEW affords her more eyeballs by orders of magnitude. This leads to more opportunities to monetize her presence. In her late 30’s, I can’t imagine her caring more about good matches than increased revenue streams. 

I care as much as can be expected about the career welfare of performers I enjoy watching. And it’s entirely possible that either Taya or TK isn’t interested in her signing w AEW. But I don’t care enough about any performer to track down impacts program on a weekly basis. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I think we need to stop worrying about AEW's finances/spending. TK knows how much money he has to work with far better than any of us lol.

I agree, but you don't keep a fortune by spending a fortune.

28 minutes ago, just drew said:

@jt, I think we might just fundamentally disagree on a) the reason a person gets into the wrestling business and b), impacts place in the hierarchy of wrestling tv shows. Taya might would be treated as a bigger star in impact, but AEW affords her more eyeballs by orders of magnitude.

I just think that people will have their expectations set too high and end up disappointed.  AEW is a decent organization, but it won't be an optimal fit for every released worker out there.

I just feel that Impact will use Taya better since the division is smaller and she'll already start at the top of the food chain.  She can leverage her good history with the company into a decent revenue stream and an easier schedule.  I don't think that she needs AEW in order to have a successful career.

Edited by J.T.

38 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I miss Archer bursting into the locker room and putting dudes through the ceiling.

Damn, I may need to start a separate "weird shit you remember from AEW's early pandemic shows" thread.  For me it's that pre-taped empty arena title match between Mox and Hager with only JR on commentary.  That shit was fucking bizarre.  I remember watching it on the DVR an hour or so after it had aired, struggling mightily to stay awake.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Damn, I may need to start a separate "weird shit you remember from AEW's early pandemic shows" thread.  For me it's that pre-taped empty arena title match between Mox and Hager with only JR on commentary.  That shit was fucking bizarre.  I remember watching it on the DVR an hour or so after it had aired, struggling mightily to stay awake.

Archerceiling.png

I just stared in disbelief at my television set.  This thing was the greatest thing.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7