DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOV 2021

The Natural

Big time respect to Mox - but the heartwarming thing for me has been everybody supporting him. Admitting you have a fault, especially something like drinking is very hard for any person to admit. Hell, admitting self faults is one of the hardest things we can do, but as others have said his family and health should come first. To do this right now, with the book and the tournament, respect to him. TK has played enough Extreme Warfare, he knows how to handle these situations (I say that light heartedly trying to make the best of a bad situation). 

As far as the booking goes, OC wasn't ever going to go over in this match so I wonder who the replacement if there is one may be. Eddie Kingston for the Mox connection leading to King/Danielson at Full Gear in a rematch? Lance Archer get's one more shot if he's medically cleared?......... MIRO?

• Like 3

I'm thinking this falls outside the realm of speculation: I hope all that happened was Mox realizing he needed to be there and set the example for his kid as they go through life.

My dad wasn't an alcoholic, but was the type to have a few beers after work. He realized or came to believe pretty early on in my life (think toddler-aged) that he wasn't setting the best example for me. From that day on, I don't think I ever saw the man with anything other than a nonalcoholic beer in his hand until well after I could drive a car...I might have even hit my 20s. It made it much easier for me to learn from a man who showed that he could talk the talk and walk the walk. Just him doing that was probably enough to alter the course of our lives as stressful situations or other things that might've otherwise tipped the balance towards drinking as a coping mechanism have come up over the years. 

Alcoholism is a disease, it's not the same for everybody. No judgment at all here. Glad that Mox is getting help so it (hopefully) works out that he can set that example for his child too, and just be there as a parent as much as he can. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Leonidas said:

I was thinking Kingston too, if he loses to OC it could unhinge him even more, especially if a certain Mr Punk was on commentary during the match...

I feel like they need someone with a kayfabe claim to that spot.  Miro's got the "I was dominant for a year and you left me out of this tournament" gripe.  Honestly, I don't know who else would have a legit claim.  Maybe, Punk?  He's undefeated.  Plus, you could have Kingston pissed that Punk is taking advantage of his friend's hardship to get ahead. Or, if you don't want to touch Mox's situation in a storyline (which I'd be more than fine with), you just have Kingston pissed that Punk gets to waltz in on the semifinals while he had to face Archer and Danielson.

If he wasn't already tied up with Darby, MJF would be a perfect person to put into the spot. It's too bad that they've acknowledged Tony Khan on camera, because otherwise you could imply he bribed the faceless championship committee to worm his way in.

I love Miro and want him to be champ, but I hope its not him. The loss to Sammy is too fresh, having him lose to Danielson in the finals or win the tournament and lose the title shot could be inadvertently damaging.

Punk is a fun pick and Archer is always handy to have around, but I assume you want to go heel in this spot. Personal preference, I am thinking Ricky Starks. Beyond due for elevation and won't get hurt by a loss to Danielson.

You guys probably wouldn't like this, but my gut feeling for tonight is to go with someone fun and just have a real crowdpleasing match to get everyone's spirits up, kind of building on the feeling from last week. You still need it to be somewhat legitimate so you can't exactly bring Swoggle in and obviously Danhausen is out. So maybe someone like Evil Uno or Cabana who know all the tricks and haven't had singles matches with Cassidy in AEW. Or Janela and you can have Statlander counter his heater. Just something real shticky and fun.

Then build to Cassidy vs Danielson which is another sort of a dream match and maybe even more of a draw for its novelty than Mox vs Danielson. But then you have to live with putting Danielson over which may not be what you want.

Or I don't know, Chris Hero. The answer is always Chris Hero.

I think the safest choice is actually Christian. Again, you'd have to put Danielson over, but there's less chance of splitting the crowd and having them get behind OC and it's a less marketable match than Danielson vs OC if you want to do that later.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Matt D said:

You guys probably wouldn't like this, but my gut feeling for tonight is to go with someone fun and just have a real crowdpleasing match to get everyone's spirits up, kind of building on the feeling from last week. You still need it to be somewhat legitimate so you can't exactly bring Swoggle in and obviously Danhausen is out. So maybe someone like Evil Uno or Cabana who know all the tricks and haven't had singles matches with Cassidy in AEW. Or Janela and you can have Statlander counter his heater. Just something real shticky and fun.

Then build to Cassidy vs Danielson which is another sort of a dream match and maybe even more of a draw for its novelty than Mox vs Danielson. But then you have to live with putting Danielson over which may not be what you want.

Or I don't know, Chris Hero. The answer is always Chris Hero.

I think the safest choice is actually Christian. Again, you'd have to put Danielson over, but there's less chance of splitting the crowd and having them get behind OC and it's a less marketable match than Danielson vs OC if you want to do that later.

If we're going the fun and crowd pleasing route, then I choose Jungle Boy.

8 minutes ago, punkenhead said:

I would be willing to bet every cent I have that Mox's replacement is Ricky Starks. Thankfully, I'm poor as the proverbial church mouse, so not much to lose. 

I am also throwing my non-existent money into the pot

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Big time respect to Mox - but the heartwarming thing for me has been everybody supporting him. Admitting you have a fault, especially something like drinking is very hard for any person to admit. Hell, admitting self faults is one of the hardest things we can do, but as others have said his family and health should come first. To do this right now, with the book and the tournament, respect to him. TK has played enough Extreme Warfare, he knows how to handle these situations (I say that light heartedly trying to make the best of a bad situation). 

As far as the booking goes, OC wasn't ever going to go over in this match so I wonder who the replacement if there is one may be. Eddie Kingston for the Mox connection leading to King/Danielson at Full Gear in a rematch? Lance Archer get's one more shot if he's medically cleared?......... MIRO?

Yeah I want Miro. I want Danielson to lose because there's no point in keeping him near the belt right now. I want Page over Omega, I want a readymade title match against a big, scary heel to keep the people in Hangman's corner, I need more Miro on my TV.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Yeah I want Miro. I want Danielson to lose because there's no point in keeping him near the belt right now. I want Page over Omega, I want a readymade title match against a big, scary heel to keep the people in Hangman's corner, I need more Miro on my TV.

Same. Omega and Danielson need to lose so that they can feud. Page vs. Miro is an awesome feud for a new champion, especially with the promos Miro has been cutting about regaining God's favor. It's kind of an ideal situation all things considered. 

• Like 1

So devil's advocate, while Danielson vs Omega doesn't need the belt, the belt may need them, because their rematch will be bigger than whatever title feud is going on (Page vs Miro, Page vs Cole, Page vs Black, etc.). If the point with Page is the chase and the win and not necessarily the run, having Danielson, the biggest star in the company and the biggest presence, go over him fairly quickly to set up sort of an 89 Flair vs Steamboat series with Omega over the belt... well, I don't know? I think it's sort of hard to argue against.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Log said:

I feel like they need someone with a kayfabe claim to that spot.  Miro's got the "I was dominant for a year and you left me out of this tournament" gripe.  Honestly, I don't know who else would have a legit claim.  Maybe, Punk?  He's undefeated.  Plus, you could have Kingston pissed that Punk is taking advantage of his friend's hardship to get ahead. Or, if you don't want to touch Mox's situation in a storyline (which I'd be more than fine with), you just have Kingston pissed that Punk gets to waltz in on the semifinals while he had to face Archer and Danielson.

Oh man, the promos from Punk about WHY he got that spot would be off the charts.

"Yeah Eddie, I got tapped on the shoulder to take your friend's place. I deserved that spot because I was undefeated. Because I was ready to face some of the top talent here. Because I'm straight edge... and that means I'm better than you... and your friend Jon...

* waves at camera *

Stay safe Renee!"

Punk beats OC and we get to hype Bryan v Punk at Full Gear.

Kingston can ruin it to attack Punk and we have tweeners on both sides while Bryan gets the shot against Hangman.

And you know what, Hangman beating Bryan would be A-OK with me.

Edited by L_W_P

If they are bringing in Bray, I know it doesn't make sense from a kayfabe perspective but that would be one helluva way to plug an emergency hole and debut a big name. Plus, Danielson is the only guy that can consistently get good matches outta Wyatt.

• Like 1

Brat would be a cool surprise. The crowd would lose their collective shit. If they are going with Bray they’d be smart not to say anything until the time comes. Do a lights out gimmick or the such.

Cassidy is a guy who will have no problem recovering from the lose to a guy debuting. 

AEW doesn’t do hot shot booking much if at all but this may be an exception to the rule. Plus Bray vs Danielson at Full Gear would be cool.   

8 hours ago, J.T. said:

Best wishes on a proper recovery to Mox and good on TK not to put Mox's personal business on blast without getting the nod from Mox himself.

Viva Van is a fairly solid worker.  I've seen her try to carry Heather Monroe and CeCe Chanel across the finish line in CWFH and CWFM.   The UWN territories are the new and strange proving ground for upcoming talent.  Viva has also done good work in Defy and Arizona Wrestling Federation.

Viva is fundamentally sound, but she seems to struggle in matches where she is the better worker and that's not good when you work heel as much as she does.  I am not sure if she's trying to work too light with green people or if she doesn't really trust the person she's wrestling, but the more experienced her opponent, the better.   

I've seen her have bleh matches with rookies like Mylo Matters one week and then turn around and wrestle a complete badass violence party with Lacey Ryan / Zoey Stark the next.

She's fairly new , only wrestling about 2-3 years (and a good chunk of that time was in the middle of the pandemic) so she's probably a bit aways from being a ring general.

• Like 1

Soooooo.. just caught Danielson vs Solow, vs Nick Jackson, and vs Kingston earlier today. And Jesus Fucking Christ I legit think he just might be my pick for mvp of the year*

He gets so much praise but I mean, in a vacuum if you only watch his matches back to back vs a range of opponents i feel like you're not stuck with a formulaic layout, he switches gears so to speak against the opponent and doesn't seem to have a by the numbers routine. Huge fan of his matches with Omega and Suzuki and seeing these 3 today just  ? blessed!

*Full disclosure I've not had the chance to catch that much stuff weekly so it's pretty much a lock if anyone else has had a better output of matches vs different opponents I've not seen those yet

Edited by Hayabusa
  • Like 2

A polarizing figure in AEW right now has been AEW EVP Cody Rhodes. Rhodes has been the subject of mixed reactions at AEW shows with fans booing him at one point in a match to then cheering for him later on. Khan discussed the crowd reaction Rhodes has received and how he deals with it as a booker.

“It’s been a long time since it was the opposite of the intended reaction. I’ve known what the reaction is for a long time, and I think it’s very polarizing,” Khan stated. “It’s not all one side. I think it’s a mix of the crowd, and it’s very similar to John in terms of how you hear a split, and there’s a ton of women and kids that are huge fans and some of the guys booing, but people are still really buying Cody. And in the right moments, they do cheer him. And we saw that when he saved PAC from Malakai and Andrade.

“There was a huge Cody chant, and in that context, people were really excited to see him, and the truth is I do really think the people really like Cody. When John Cena was a full-time wrestler, he’s one of the all time great wrestling stars and people really liked to see him too. And, of course, that reaction, in time, became more generally positive, but still, obviously, people only have grown to care more and more about John Cena. So I do think people are very emotionally invested in Cody one way or another, which is a very good thing.”

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2021/11/tony-khan-compares-aew-fans-booing-cody-rhodes-to-wwe-fans-booing-john-cena/

He's grown into such a sharp wrestling mind in such a short time. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Teflon Turtle said:

I'm thinking this falls outside the realm of speculation: I hope all that happened was Mox realizing he needed to be there and set the example for his kid as they go through life.

My dad wasn't an alcoholic, but was the type to have a few beers after work. He realized or came to believe pretty early on in my life (think toddler-aged) that he wasn't setting the best example for me. From that day on, I don't think I ever saw the man with anything other than a nonalcoholic beer in his hand until well after I could drive a car...I might have even hit my 20s. It made it much easier for me to learn from a man who showed that he could talk the talk and walk the walk. Just him doing that was probably enough to alter the course of our lives as stressful situations or other things that might've otherwise tipped the balance towards drinking as a coping mechanism have come up over the years. 

Alcoholism is a disease, it's not the same for everybody. No judgment at all here. Glad that Mox is getting help so it (hopefully) works out that he can set that example for his child too, and just be there as a parent as much as he can. 

Along similar lines, my dad was quite the social scientist before I came along... until the fateful night when he did cocaine for the first and last time with some friends. He was so fucked up that the taxi driver who brought him home then literally brought him home, helping him upstairs to my parents' apartment. Mom took stock of the situation and told him she was leaving him the next time he did this, which sobered him up good and fast. I think I only ever saw him drink a beer once in my entire life, and I have to think it was her words that turned him around for the better.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It can be hard to recognize in the moment, but those types of choices around stuff like this - especially when there are kids involved - can truly have generational consequences. If Mox made the choice to seek treatment with his family in mind first, my respect for him is up tenfold.

One hopes that AEW can be a supportive environment (seemingly so, based on what we've seen from wrestlers speaking up online) so Mox can continue to succeed with this and his family can reap the benefits. 

• Like 2