DVDVR Message Board

November 2021 Wrestling Discussion

I wear an AEW backpack to work every weekend so I'm that kind of nerd that's out and open about what I like (now). I fully admit that before AEW came around, I definitely hid it (and wasn't as invested either).

@Matt D will be happy to hear, though, that I've had a Seth Rollins shirt for a few years now and I always wear it out in public. ? Although, since about 2016, and especially since January 6th... well, the "Redesign Rebuild Reclaim" catchphrase, along with what looks like a crosshair type logo... big oof.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dog said:

I started college in '98, so you'd THINK my wrestling fandom would have been a plus then. But I was the guy refusing to flip to Austin on Raw because Perry Saturn was wrestling on Nitro.

When you were asked to turn the channel to RAW, did you reply "But what about Raven?"  Because if you didn't, you should have. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Double post.

So this isn't a complete waste, is anyone else watching NXT 2.0 and thinking "most of these people will never make the main roster."  Aside from Steiner's kid,  Toxic Attraction, and maybe Odyssey Jones, the new kids mostly seem bland, green, or just bad to me.  Duke Hudson, Joe Gacy and his bald giant, the guy from Riverdale University circa 1950, the wise guy, Smoking Gunns 2K21 - whose name I still don't know; I don't think there's a lot of future 24/7 title hunters in the current crop, much less future stars.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

1 hour ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Double post.

So this isn't a complete waste, is anyone else watching NXT 2.0 and thinking "most of these people will never make the main roster."  Aside from Steiner's kid,  Toxic Attraction, and maybe Odyssey Jones, the new kids mostly seem bland, green, or just bad to me.  Duke Hudson, Joe Gacy and [b]his bald giant, the guy from Riverdale University circa 1950[/b], the wise guy, Smoking Gunns 2K21 - whose name I still don't know; I don't think there's a lot of future 24/7 title hunters in the current crop, much less future stars.

What's crazy is the bald guy looked like Brock Lesnar, so they shaved his head and made him look like Kane.

The University thing is the worst and the clearest sense that most of creative is old men. I'm surprised he hasn't tried cramming other wrestlers into a phonebooth...

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I don't understand the logic of "I'm ashamed of my interest in [benign subject such as pro wrestling]".

So what if some person razzes you for it? Why exactly put stock in the opinions of someone who's not paying your bills? Are they your friend? If so, why are they denigrating something that brings you joy? Doesn't sound much like a friend to me.

And if the issue is that you're ashamed of your own interest in it because you feel it's something you shouldn't be watching, then maybe re-evaluate why you're watching it and choose to watch something else. Our time on earth is limited! Don't waste it questioning choices that bring you happiness or spending it with people who make you miserable for what you enjoy!

I mean, I watch competition cooking shows, makeup tutorials on YouTube, and joshi. Anyone got a problem with that?

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I wear an AEW backpack to work every weekend so I'm that kind of nerd that's out and open about what I like (now). I fully admit that before AEW came around, I definitely hid it (and wasn't as invested either).

@Matt D will be happy to hear, though, that I've had a Seth Rollins shirt for a few years now and I always wear it out in public. ? Although, since about 2016, and especially since January 6th... well, the "Redesign Rebuild Reclaim" catchphrase, along with what looks like a crosshair type logo... big oof.

I have friend a who's huge Bullet Club fan and talked himself out of getting the hat since it's just the skull and cross guns and seems... in the same wheelhouse as that

I have a friend that I had known for about four years before we realized we were both into wrestling. We met when a friend tried to set us up so in those situations I never bring it up. We ended up not dating and just becoming friends then we both went to a takeover without realizing the other one was there until we both posted pictures of the arena that day.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I don't understand the logic of "I'm ashamed of my interest in [benign subject such as pro wrestling]".

So what if some person razzes you for it? Why exactly put stock in the opinions of someone who's not paying your bills? Are they your friend? If so, why are they denigrating something that brings you joy? Doesn't sound much like a friend to me.

And if the issue is that you're ashamed of your own interest in it because you feel it's something you shouldn't be watching, then maybe re-evaluate why you're watching it and choose to watch something else. Our time on earth is limited! Don't waste it questioning choices that bring you happiness or spending it with people who make you miserable for what you enjoy!

I mean, I watch competition cooking shows, makeup tutorials on YouTube, and joshi. Anyone got a problem with that?

giphy.gif

I can't speak for anyone else, and in the interest of not dumping all my personal stuff here, a couple quick, incomplete reasons:

1) Being on the spectrum, I'm not thrilled by the idea of confrontation in general.

2) Trying to make a difference in an academic non-profit, where some people's image of me can matter in how/if they want me representing them.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Double post.

So this isn't a complete waste, is anyone else watching NXT 2.0 and thinking "most of these people will never make the main roster."  Aside from Steiner's kid,  Toxic Attraction, and maybe Odyssey Jones, the new kids mostly seem bland, green, or just bad to me.  Duke Hudson, Joe Gacy and his bald giant, the guy from Riverdale University circa 1950, the wise guy, Smoking Gunns 2K21 - whose name I still don't know; I don't think there's a lot of future 24/7 title hunters in the current crop, much less future stars.

Briggs & Jensen. They’re not bad. Got a real “bro country” thing happening. 

4 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Double post.

I think a decent amount will make the main roster though probably not as the characters they are in NXT, or they will as heavily tweaked versions. I just don't see them actually succeeding on the main roster or lasting long which is more because of general WWE booking than anything else.

Edited by Eivion

I've never been ashamed to be a Wrestling fan. Like, people have tried to mock me on the assumption that by Wrestling I mean WWF/E at it's most cheesy, but when I point out that I'm actually into indies and deathmatches, they go back to the "You know it's fake, right?".

It's always nice when they wonder how the make-up artist under the ring managed to get the fake blood on the wrestler's faces without anyone seeing. After she crawls through the sugar glass that is absolutely not real glass at all.

• Like 1

i don't hide the fact that i like pro wrestling, but i certainly don't advertise it. i don't think i have any wrestling shirts (besides an nWo one that has seen better days 20 years ago) mainly because none of the designs have really grabbed me. i tend to make my own shirts nowadays anyway.

a couple of my other hobbies/interest supercede wrestling: MMA, comic books, video games, or music in general.

• Like 1

I was bullied at school. Hate bullies ever since. I'm reminded of one of my favourites MCU lines from Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) when Dr Abraham Erskine asks Steve Rogers if he wants to kill Nazis and Rogers says:

L5WB6l0=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Perfectly sums the character up. I feel the same way. @Brian Fowler: Did you say Mark Waid cried at this? I can understand why.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

I was bullied at school. Hate bullies ever since. I'm reminded of one of my favourites MCU lines from Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) when Dr Abraham Erskine asks Steve Rogers if he wants to kill Nazis and Rogers says:

L5WB6l0=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Perfectly sums the character up. I feel the same way. @Brian Fowler: Did you say Mark Waid cried at this? I can understand why.

That's what Mark said, yeah.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Double post.

At least under the new system guys will get filtered through the system quicker than the previous system instead of people being stuck in NXT too long. Doesn't mean everyone is going to get a fair chance on the Main roster either. Look at Hit Row, they made a mistake on letting any of them go. That Group was similar to New Day in the sense that you have a group of guys l  probably wouldn't think of putting them together but are all legit friends and they come together with an idea and their chemistry is amazing, All those guys are very Charismatic, they all rap, Top Dolla has a legit athletic background,  Swerve is a Top level worker all those guys can talk.  Knowing WWE they probably looked at B fab as another Sasha Banks Gimmick wise. B Fab is a Hip Hop artist on top of her MMA background. That group had the total package and that's something they came up with together. I would have been really fun Top have them on Smackdown. They were going to get over big after a month or so if they didn't let them go.

Edited by Ziggy

9 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

The only time I've felt embarrassed to be a wrestling fan is when watching some of the excessively cringe, like The Dr. McMahon skit (although I can laugh at things like Snitky punts a baby its the problematic shit that makes me feel bad). Although It might not be the first thing I would want people to know about me seeing as some people view it as childish entertainment. Also I've gotten used to the ridiculous of a fictional world where as Ron Funches would say "disputes are settled via bodyslam"

As far as talking about wrestling to people goes, there are people with whom I talk about it and those that I won't. It's funny that there were some people at work with at least a passing interest in wrestling and I had no idea.

In general conversation, I may drop lines like "get drunk and watch WWE Network on my couch", just to probe people out, so to speak.

33 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Yeah I don’t hide my fandom at all and have never gotten any grief for it. Like was said, dropping one liners (“the cream always rises to the top!” “that’s hard times!”) is a fun way to proactively tease out fellow fans in a corporate setting.

Same here!  But my technique is I walk into meetings wearing nothing but a sequined robe to see if anybody gets the reference.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Growing up, I had a few friends who were into it but my parents thought it was stupid so I watched it on my own in my room, no biggie... But when I got to be a teenager yeah, I was out and about with it. 

Nowadays I have a zombie Dr. Wagner, Jr. tattoo that I got in my mid-20s, on my inner forearm, so that's a good conversation starter for other fans. 

• Like 1