DVDVR Message Board

November 2021 Wrestling Discussion

On 11/24/2021 at 3:33 AM, Technico Support said:

I find this shit fascinating and should probably start an "explain your username" thread.

My name is Gordon, I generally go by Gordi ("i" rather than "ie" or "y" in tribute to Jimi Hendrix), and Gordberg is an ironic nickname I got from my weightlifting friends because, while I am above average in terms of strength and muscularity, I have never had the kind of impressively over-developed trapezius muscles that Goldberg or, say, Kensuke have (most likely because I'm not a steroid guy - I'm not anti steroids, I just don't use them - and huge traps are usually a result of massive steroid abuse). Also I shave my head, have a little beard, am middle-aged, and look kind of Jew-y (my biological mother is Jewish, but I was raised by Scottish-Canadian Presbyterians). So, I look rather Goldbergian (pic spoiled because shirtlessness):

Spoiler

257943071_418437749909151_59327755254278

I've also been gordi (the lower case in tribute to the great Canadian poet bill bissett) and El Gran Gordi (in tribute to Otis' masked alter ego) and Jailbreaker Bullnoi (A Fire Pro character)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, username said:

Funnily enough I am currently on xfinity and they are on 825 and 826 on the HD line-up, I guess it varies greatly by area of the country.

We have u-verse and get the West versions of them as well. They are also right together on the channels.

13 hours ago, username said:

I rarely say this but I am 99% sure Meltz is just straight wrong on this one, at least in the US they were virtually identical when I last checked how many homes they were in six or so months back when the TBS move was first announced. They are negotiated together by Turner, I can't see any way one gained or lost 20 million homes in under a year.

Wikipedia purports to have the September 2018 numbers and those differ by less than a million, for what it's worth.

• Like 1

The nWo was all the rage when my friends and I were seniors in high school in 1996. I'm from Charlottesville, VA so we called ourselves the cWo. I'm a big Jericho fan and my last name starts with J hence the y2j part. Put it together and you get cwoy2j

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I chose this username over 15 years ago so I could jusifiably murder John Hennigan over gimmick infringement if he signs with AEW.

Now this is some premium long-term planning right here!

As for myself, I'm all about intelligent humor (not, classy, mind you) and since I liked the first two Sharknado movies quite a bit and then thought of a shartnado and wondered if someone had already thought of it first? So, I had to use it somewhere, and actually did register as that for a charity biking thingy at work one spring. When I finally decided to register here, I figured it would be as good as anything I could think up, and thus Shartnado was released!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I chose this username over 15 years ago so I could jusifiably murder John Hennigan over gimmick infringement if he signs with AEW.

That's like Ole Anderson pretending to be friends with Dusty Rhodes for 18 months just to turn on him.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

I started off with a pretty dumb name on this board, and one day former mod Raven Mack posted a thread that was something like "Post in here and I'll change your name to a cool name".  So I did, and he changed my name to "Suicide King of Spades". That WAS a cool name, I thought, and I stuck with that for a few years.

Then, you know, we all get older and get more life experience, and at some point I started feeling like a jerk coming on here with that name. Like, what if someone's really going through a seriously rough time in their lives, and they come on here and see the word "Suicide" in my name? No need for that. So I switched it to the initials.

• Like 6

Funny story about my username - once upon a time about fifteen years ago here on DVDVR.... well, you know.

However, here's how it came to be. Krone's my last name and Meltzer was just a play on Dave's last name (even though I couldn't correctly pronounce his name fifteen years ago. I was like 15, so I wasn't even all that privy to who he really was yet. I just knew he was the guy with the wrestling news). Decided to keep it because that's what everyone knows me by anyways and I ain't ashamed of a few funny videos on YouTube years ago. If anything, I use it for a good laugh (but I remember all those bastards that thought it would be funny to bully a 15 year old ?) and it is what it is. No regrets, right?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

First pic of a pink, bald, throbbing member on the board since the time we got hacked.

What does Dana White have to do with this?

I used to be Sledge. which was short for SirSledgeHammah (AIM and gamer name) on other forums. I feel a lot of my posts were made when I was 13 so going back would be embarrassing with awkward bad spelling and finding myself. Joining here and a few other places I wanted a new identity. 

Octopus became part of my brand. I like to make films so I started up a production company for my art, Octopus Marquee. Also, just finishing up my first year running the Octopus Marquee Independent Film Festival which has been a fun online networking experience. In that I’m known as The Octopus which is fun to be called that.

Also, I am an Octopus so it makes sense.

• Like 4

Whether or not to share my early 20’s pretentious wankery…?

Spoilers for pretentious wankery:

Spoiler

I studied Classics (Latin and Ancient Greek) at Uni and did my dissertation on the Roman satirist Juvenal, progenitor of the phrase ‘who watches the watchmen?’ so started using the mouthful of a handle ‘CustosCustodum’ or ‘Watcher of the Watchmen’ when I fell into a Big 4 grunt job soon after as an external auditor as it seemed appropriate. Shortened over time.

Lurked for 13 years then came out in mid-2019 when my fervour for AEW (which shows no signs of abating) overrode my better judgement to not actively participate in online wrestling discourse.

.…I thought AxB was Ax Bomber too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I was "Rev" for about 20 years, because I became an ordained minister in the mid 90s. I changed it to Ace a few years ago, due to an angry guy calling me that at one point, and it stuck with my friends. Also to distinguish myself from @Rev Ray.

• Like 2