DVDVR Message Board

November 2021 Wrestling Discussion

Since I'm in a list making mood, here's 10 folks I've discovered in the last 2-5 years that might make there way into my top ten someday;

1. Ricky Starks. Saw him live about 7 months before AEW debuted and he stood out on that indy supercard. Dude looked like a STAR.

2. Eddie Kingston. Pretty self explanatory.

3. Jungle Boy. If I had to bet on one guy carrying AEW into the 2030's as a top guy, it's him. Dude has it all.

4. IMPERIUM (seriously, I can't tell you how many thousand times I've watched that 8 man vs. UE and giggled like a little girl).

5. The Varsity Blondes. Love me a fiery babyface tag team. Their whole act just works. Adding Julia made them stand out.

6. Daniel Garcia. Dude is what, 22? Unbelievable.

7. Lee Moriarty. A very recent discovery I just love.

8. The AEW women. Anna, Taya, Rosa, Shida, Red Velvet, Big Swole, Statlander, Britt Baker, Jamie Hayter. They've all taken leaps forward, except Rosa, who has ruled since day 1.

9. Keith Lee. Looking forward to seeing what's next for him.

10. Hangman Page. I have been enthralled with his story since AEW started. I'd never heard of him until then, and now he might be my favorite wrestler.

Honorable mention; Malakai Black, Andrade, Nikki Cross, Mia Yim, Johnathan Gresham. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I find this shit fascinating and should probably start an "explain your username" thread.

My last name is "Barrie". My first name starts with "T".

That one's going to be hard to top, I realize.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Go for it. Fair warning: mine's depressing!

I love you Stefanie. Always one of my favourite posters.

My username represents my love for Lucha and my (2003) love for Necro Butcher.  I’ve used this username on various forums since the early 00’s. 

If I had to sign up a couple of years later there is every chance my username would have been Ultimo Penta or Ultimo Ultramantis.

I still love Lucha and Deathmatches. My wife seen Schneider’s book on my shelf and rolled her eyes.  She’s probably right.

Edited by Ultimo Necro
  • Like 1

Update from the category of "indoor event attendances in 2021"... the university I graduated from got 277 people in for a 6pm Tuesday basketball game. I suspect some of the smaller college athletics budgets have smoking craters in them after the last 18 months.

If there's a 1-10 scale where 1 is "I'd wanna die if I attended this" and 10 is "I'd die to attend this".. WWE shows are closer to 1 than 10, which might be showing up in figures with ticket sales?

They're in a spot where they likely be better off with less primetime hours to fill on USA. There's probably no good way to get Raw to 2 hours and either give up the 3rd hour, or make the 3rd hour some other WWE program

My parents gave me my name too... actually, my grandfather did since it's his as well. The "McGirt" is something a friend added to it once because of ODB's nom de guerre Dirt McGirt. 

But for years on metal message boards I was Tormentor, in tribute to the songs by Slayer, Destruction, Kreator, WASP... and, yes, Tormentor. 

• Like 1

Anyway stuff to look forward to next year:

Dynamite on TBS and if it increases the ratings upward somewhat and stuff about AEW's profitability and profits. {AEW already gets a lot of money due to revenue and merch and the Khans are rich.}

And wrestling in Japan opening up further for attendances post covid and allowing crowds to do more than just clap.

• Like 2

I can't see anyway that a move to TBS would increase Dynamite's ratings on its own, I normally would chalk up some sort of short-term audience loss to changing networks but TNT and TBS are so similar (they've literally been next to each other in every cable tv channel lineup I've come across) that I assume it will make 0% difference. That said the show's ratings could improve in 2022 for reasons unrelated to the channel it is on.

38 minutes ago, username said:

I can't see anyway that a move to TBS would increase Dynamite's ratings on its own, I normally would chalk up some sort of short-term audience loss to changing networks but TNT and TBS are so similar (they've literally been next to each other in every cable tv channel lineup I've come across) that I assume it will make 0% difference. That said the show's ratings could improve in 2022 for reasons unrelated to the channel it is on.

I see someone doesn't have Xfinity then. TBS is 30 channels below TNT for me, in between Comedy Central and TruTV. TNT is between USA and AMC. Besides, it's 2021 - who actually uses the guide on their cable box? With DVR and reminders being a thing, I've never even touched the guide except for just now to check what you said.

The move to TBS is good for a lot of reasons, most of which is minimal (if any) preemptions or time/day slot changes for Dynamite. They'll also be the biggest thing to air on that channel, whereas TNT has... what, the NBA and now the NHL? And baseball sometimes too, right? TBS has... uh, Big Bang Theory reruns? A few original shows that nobody really watches (and Search Party moved to HBO Max, so...)

11 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I find this shit fascinating and should probably start an "explain your username" thread.

From September 2005-June 2007, my username was The Crippler which I changed for obvious reasons. Can't believe its 15 years next year. I'm The Natural ever since. I still use my crippler e-mail address set up way back in 2002 as I have e-mails from my much missed Mum and Lisa/GG there. I was thinking about my list of the top 10 wrestlers ever and he was once on it.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

When computer games first started in the early 80s, if you got a highscore you got to put your name in. Only your name had to be only 3 letters long, so almost everyone just used their initials (I knew one guy who used his first name, but he was called Bow). Now, I don't have a middle name, so I only had two initials. And to begin with, you couldn't put a space, so I needed a third initial. Went with the most interesting letter in my first name.

Then when the internet came along, as far as I was concerned computers already knew me as AXB, so I just made the middle letter lower case because it stands for nothing, and it makes my name look like algebra. 

• Like 6

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
15 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I love you Stefanie. Always one of my favourite posters.

Aww, that's sweet of you to say, thank you. Well now I feel like I have to answer in this thread.

Stefanie - That's my name! And I chose that when I renamed myself because all of my names are after women in my life that influenced me. Stefanie specifically comes from my first sports hero, Steffi Graf. (It's also why I specifically prefer to shorten my name to Steffi, not Stef.)

The Human - I have the depressing version, the non-depressing version, and the version I tell the kids I mentor. The version I tell the kids I mentor: Adventure Time reference (my Discord avatar used to be Fionna the Human, prior to my switch to using Pete Burns). Non-depressing version: I'm a workforce manager at work, so I'm usually the one called upon to make difficult decisions regarding staffing and scheduling, and some of the people that I work with joke that I'm robotic. It didn't help that my fashion sense was very Janet from the Good Place back when I worked in the office. Depressing version: trans people are often treated as subhuman, both by society and in law, but I refuse to accept this as I am a human, ergo Stefanie the Human.

Whichever version you choose to believe is the right one is the right one.

Edited by Stefanie the Human

55 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Aww, that's sweet of you to say, thank you. Well now I feel like I have to answer in this thread.

Stefanie - That's my name! And I chose that when I renamed myself because all of my names are after women in my life that influenced me. Stefanie specifically comes from my first sports hero, Steffi Graf. (It's also why I specifically prefer to shorten my name to Steffi, not Stef.)

The Human - I have the depressing version, the non-depressing version, and the version I tell the kids I mentor. The version I tell the kids I mentor: Adventure Time reference (my Discord avatar used to be Fionna the Human, prior to my switch to using Pete Burns). Non-depressing version: I'm a workforce manager at work, so I'm usually the one called upon to make difficult decisions regarding staffing and scheduling, and some of the people that I work with joke that I'm robotic. It didn't help that my fashion sense was very Janet from the Good Place back when I worked in the office. Depressing version: trans people are often treated as subhuman, both by society and in law, but I refuse to accept this as I am a human, ergo Stefanie the Human.

Whichever version you choose to believe is the right one is the right one.

Re: The non-depressing version. How do you feel about frozen yogurt stands? Like, are they something that you would suggest to a friend in distress?

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Haha 1