DVDVR Message Board

November 2021 Wrestling Discussion

My top 10, with the caveat I'd have to have seen more than a few matches for them.  Listing best, not most important to me, longevity of greatness that I saw being the big factor

1) Jushin LIger

2) Eddy Guerrero

3) Ricky Steamboat

4) Terry Funk

5) Arn Anderson

6) Hiroshi Tanahashi

7) Bryan Danielson

? Rey Mysterio

9) Bret Hart

10) Great Muta

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

This one is getting off lightly. What's more of a dick move than releasing a ton of talent, getting a new office, doing your own MTV Cribs of it online, and showing that the guy whos entire organization they dismantled and reconfigured is still on the payroll and not complaining? 

I don't think Triple H cares so much, it's a job to him. He still has power over aspects of NXT 2.0, but no longer hires and fires people(still scouts for the mandated types). 

They certainly brought in Ace to do all the firings so Triple H doesn't have to do those firings and stomach it....

Windham is far and away my favorite pro wrestler ever. Not even close. Lots of other names in a malleable list. It’d change before I even hit Submit Reply.

My list is likely the only one that would contain One Man Gang, though. I’ve always liked fat guy brawlers and he was one of the first I was exposed to as a kid. I’ll watch Moon beat up Von Erichs all day long…

I also prefer tag wrestling to singles, so I’d bet half of my list would list teams. 

• Like 3

It's interesting someone listed Hikari Fukuoka. She was so much better than being credited as baby Manami Toyota especially once she dropped that whole swagger. That lady had mad ups and everything was performed beautifully. Compare that to Toyota who some nights was 50/50 and could devolve into a sloppy mess if she wasn't in there with the right opponent. Shit was breathtaking.

tumblr_ole3oi5sMm1ruwpoco1_500.gifv

If I could have a time machine, bring some female wrestlers back, and just mix them in with the current crop, Fukuoka would be in there with the likes of Yoshiko Tamura, prime KAORU who also had mad hops, Candy Okutsu, both adorable Japanese luchadora and spider lady submission wrestler era Yoshida, and early 2000s Momoe Nakanishi. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, nate said:

Curt Hennig 

Bam Bam Bigelow 

Great Muta 

Samoa Joe 

Arn Anderson 

Randy Savage 

Van Vader

Bryan Danielson

Bret Hart

And, for the GOAT of unfulfilled potential, Monty Brown

The GOAT of unfulfilled potential is my man, my #1 favorite wrestler of all time (but not in my GOAT list because he didnt really do anything)... Barry Windham.

• Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
7 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It's interesting someone listed Hikari Fukuoka. She was so much better than being credited as baby Manami Toyota especially once she dropped that whole swagger. That lady had mad ups and everything was performed beautifully. Compare that to Toyota who some nights was 50/50 and could devolve into a sloppy mess if she wasn't in there with the right opponent. Shit was breathtaking.

tumblr_ole3oi5sMm1ruwpoco1_500.gifv

If I could have a time machine, bring some female wrestlers back, and just mix them in with the current crop, Fukuoka would be in there with the likes of Yoshiko Tamura, prime KAORU who also had mad hops, Candy Okutsu, both adorable Japanese luchadora and spider lady submission wrestler era Yoshida, and early 2000s Momoe Nakanishi. 

I LOVED Candy Okutsu. I would've included her in my list if it hadn't been for her trying to gut through her back injury so much, rendering pretty much everything she was in from 1999 onward difficult to watch. She'd be a fascinating "what if", if she had never injured her back and had gone to Arsion totally healthy in 1998. I know she had gotten a super push and become Tiger Dream, but I don't think she was totally recovered.

But yes, give me all of that list plus Hiromi Yagi mixing it up with the current crop. Prime-era Hikari Fukuoka vs Tsukasa Fujimoto? My goodness.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
3 hours ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

Which Fukuoka matches would people recommend? 

She was in the Thunderqueen match, which is one of my personal favorite matches. It starts out as a series of four 1 vs 1 matches that are five minutes in length, then a 4 vs 4 match for 40 minutes. It's most falls wins between team Zenjo (Sakie Hasegawa, Kyoko Inoue, Takako Inoue, and Aja Kong) and team JWP (Hikari Fukuoka, Mayumi Ozaki, Cutie Suzuki, and Dynamite Kansai).

I also like the match from 1997 between her and Dynamite Kansai.

THE NEW DIMENSION 8 QUEENS 60 MINUTES FULL-TIME:  AJA KONG/KYOKO INOUE/TAKAKO INOUE/SAKIE HASEGAWA vs. DYNAMITE KANSAI/MAYUMI OZAKI/CUTIE SUZUKI/HIKARI FUKUOKA - JWP vs. AJW 7/31/93:
(POGO PETE)
Come, let us travel  to Bunka Gym, where the AJW vanguard attempt to humiliate the JWP stalwarts in their very own ring- if we hurry, we can make it in time for the JWP and AJW ring announcers announcing the main event in stereo!  This has got to be the greatest women's tag match ever.  The match starts with four straight singles matches with a 5-minute time limit ("First Attack") followed by everyone in the ring for an 8-women tag match lasting the rest of the hour.  Most falls at the end wins.  Non-stop action the entire hour with countless spots, brutal kicks, hardway juice from Kyoko and solar heat all the way from the pro-JWP crowd.  Everything here is just so RIGHT, from the aforementioned stereo ring announcers to the scoreboards in the building tabulating the falls to even the first referee getting subbed on the fly when the tag portion starts.  You can't go wrong with this match under any circumstances whatsoever.

Favorite 10 singles wrestlers (no particular order):

Savage, Akira Hokuto, Sting, John Cena, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Satoshi Kojima, Ted DiBiase, Curt Hennig, Kurt Angle (w/ hair), Davey Boy Smith.  

Honorable mentions:

HBK, Rude, Vader, Muta, Chono, Kenta Kobashi, Jun Akiyama, Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Ric Steiner, Samoa Joe, Bull Nakano, Aja Kong, and Asuka/Kana.  It's really hard to pick a top 10.  Top 20 or 25 would be easier.   

Favorite tag teams are easier.  Arn/Tully, Midnight Express (heel Lane/Eaton), Steiners, Samoan Swat Team. Road Warriors, and British Bulldogs.   Rock n Roll Express just miss the list, probably because I root for heels more than babyfaces.

This is just my subjective list.  Personal favorites. 

Edited by Mario
  • Like 4

I can’t even remember the last time I made a top 10 list, which was something I did weekly somewhere or another back in the day. Listmania 4 Life though so here goes. Mine also usually changes before I hit submit like a person above said. 

Sting

Chris Benoit

Ric Flair

The Great Muta

Bret Hart

Eddie Guerrero

Shawn Michaels

Dynamite Kid

Big Poppa Pump

Booker T

Wow it doesn’t even look right now between all of the personal things that have went on with wrestlers (some of which weren’t all their fault but still), my own maturity, and so many other things. But I still love those guys and many more. I’ll do my tag teams in a bit. I have to nail that one down a little better since there are fewer to choose from. 

• Like 5