DVDVR Message Board

November 2021 Wrestling Discussion

1 minute ago, Spontaneous said:

How many actual dream matches are left? I'm talking the ones that seem so remote a possibility that you can only dream of them. Stuff like Rock vs Michaels or Cena vs Tanahashi.

Loads, because history doesn't stop. New stars come into the wrestling business all the time. Five years ago, nobody was looking forward to Roman Reigns vs Jacob Fatu, because nobody knew who Jacob Fatu was. Dante Martin vs Rey Fenix, nobody was dreaming of that because Dante was in high school.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, AxB said:

Loads, because history doesn't stop. New stars come into the wrestling business all the time. Five years ago, nobody was looking forward to Roman Reigns vs Jacob Fatu, because nobody knew who Jacob Fatu was. Dante Martin vs Rey Fenix, nobody was dreaming of that because Dante was in high school.

I don't know if I'd find a potential Reigns vs Fatu match unthinkable. I'd find something like Miyahara vs Okada to be a dream match. It's unlikely to happen anytime soon or ever. Dante Martin vs Fenix could happen any week. Fatu vs Reigns, I don't see it as a dream match. Rock vs Reigns would fit the bill more. 

Danielson has a ton of dream matches, vs Darby, Okada, Ibushi, Naito, Shingo, WALTER, Dragon Lee, Rush, Dunn, Keith Lee, LA Park, the list can go on and on. 

CM Punk/Omega probably qualifies.

That's not counting ones that probably will never happen like Young Bucks/New Day, Roman/Okada, Big E/Shingo and Omega/Lesnar  

someone else might have made this sort of comparison before but Colt Cabana was CM Punk's Stevie Richards at least until the lawsuit, right?

Was just inspired by the "Eddie Kingston and CM Punk had legit heat in IWA Mid South" leak to the Observer that the Reddit/SC people immediately thought was leaked anonymously by Colt Cabana.

• Like 1

It'll likely never happen but I'd love to see Malachi/Aleister Black vs. Brock. I'd also like a proper Moxley vs. Brock match. One where Brock is actually motivated to do something other than suplex Mox around for 5 minutes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

It'll likely never happen but I'd love to see Malachi/Aleister Black vs. Brock. I'd also like a proper Moxley vs. Brock match. One where Brock is actually motivated to do something other than suplex Mox around for 5 minutes.

Wasn't the issue with Brock not just motivation but that he didn't want to do the hardcore/deathmatch type of shit Moxley wanted to do?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

Wasn't the issue with Brock not just motivation but that he didn't want to do the hardcore/deathmatch type of shit Moxley wanted to do?

Bit of both I'd say along with the fact Brock Lesnar was returning to the UFC to fight Mark Hunt at UFC 200 in July 2016, three months after his match with Dean Ambrose at WrestleMania XXXII. One of the worst WrestleMania's ever. Only had two matches going for it: Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch for the newly introduced to the show WWE Women's Championship with the wrong woman going over and the WWE Intercontinental Championship Ladder match as Zack Ryder surprisingly won.

Edited by The Natural

Now, all this talk about dream matches makes me sad, because I consider my dream matches rather reasonable and I've never been the one to "dream big", so to speak. Yet, we live in a world where I've been waiting for PAC vs Buddy Murphy, PAC vs Pete Dunne, Dunne vs Murphy and just very recently Zoe Starks vs Ivy Nile and all of these have eluded me and continue do so.

The reason there aren't any real WWE dream matches is that everyone has pretty much wrestled everyone else. There are exceptions, like Brock and Lashley, but who has high expectations for a Brock match these days? Hopes, sure, but expectations?

With AEW, there's at least the sense that people who aren't under contract could walk in the door for some unexpected combinations. Personally, my dream is to have UltraMantis Black do colour with Excalibur on pbp for the first televised two-masked-man commentary booth.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, The Natural said:

Bit of both I'd say along with the fact Brock Lesnar was returning to the UFC to fight Mark Hunt at UFC 200 in July 2016, three months after his match with Dean Ambrose at WrestleMania XXXII. One of the worst WrestleMania's ever. Only had two matches going for it: Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch for the newly introduced to the show WWE Women's Championship with the wrong woman going over and the WWE Intercontinental Championship Ladder match as Zack Ryder surprisingly won.

Yeah I think Mox was the one who wanted to take all of the stupid risks but Brock wasn't even game to do any of that IIRC.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kafkonia said:

The reason there aren't any real WWE dream matches is that everyone has pretty much wrestled everyone else.

Pretty much everything that was a dream match involved a combo that were in different promotions for a long time and there weren't two promotions near each other in stature for a long time.

So some dream match in the near future involves people who have never worked in the same promotion but could have a cool match. Like maybe there's some AEW guys who hasn't worked Rey Mysterio or maybe Jacob  Fatu vs Roman Reigns could be cool or something.

8 hours ago, kafkonia said:

Personally, my dream is to have UltraMantis Black do colour with Excalibur on pbp for the first televised two-masked-man commentary booth.

They would also just be really damn good.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Pretty much everything that was a dream match involved a combo that were in different promotions for a long time and there weren't two promotions near each other in stature for a long time.

So some dream match in the near future involves people who have never worked in the same promotion but could have a cool match. Like maybe there's some AEW guys who hasn't worked Rey Mysterio or maybe Jacob  Fatu vs Roman Reigns could be cool or something.

WALTER vs everyone in AEW he hasn't wrestled.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

I'm here for a Rey Mysterio vs. Dante Martin match. Cagey luchador vs. young upstart high flier. I'll also take a Rey vs. Pac match.

I'd like Rey vs Andrade again in AEW. Judging by Bryan's run since coming in, I think Rey would've had a more fulfilling run in AEW. Danielsons been on TV every week for the past 2 months and every match has meant something and he's face people up and down the card.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dog said:

Yeah, but Rey had a CARTOON!

I think? ?

I had no idea what you were talking about, until I google'd it. Looks like it still hasn't come out yet, though.

Not the same company, but apparently Disney is working on a Blue Demon cartoon.

What a world.