DVDVR Message Board

November 2021 Wrestling Discussion

2 hours ago, D.Z said:

Following people have been removed from Impact's website...No Way, Taylor Wilde, TJP, Tommy Dreamer, Petey Williams.

One of the rumor sites had Petey getting a tryout as an agent for WWE.

No Way and Taylor Wilde were fine for Impact but I think they got pushed to the side to accommodate the extra AEW/NJPW folks appearing on shows. Shame since they usually tend to get the best of their folks. TJP might be getting a bigger commitment from NJPW with him getting placed into Osprey's faction. And Tommy seemed like a Calis guy.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, just drew said:

The lack of faith in Bianca BelAir baffles me. At the same time, it’s exactly what I expected from this creative team. 

I'm definitely not bitter about yanking the rug out from under BelAir also wastes all those months they spent trading on Bayley's equity until her knee exploded to build BelAir up in the first place or anything

• Sad 1

Good for Moxley. I hope he gets the help he needs and comes back a leaner, meaner, and cleaner son of a bitch.

And his book just arrived in the mail for me today too. Odd coincidence. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, just drew said:

The lack of faith in Bianca BelAir baffles me. At the same time, it’s exactly what I expected from this creative team. 

How much is it a lack of faith in Belair vs. there probably being more in a Becky heel run at the top right now, especially with the lack of any strong heels among the Raw women's roster.

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

How much is it a lack of faith in Belair vs. there probably being more in a Becky heel run at the top right now, especially with the lack of any strong heels among the Raw women's roster.

Liv has a lot of pressure. She has her fans but can she put together a 15 minute match?

The Mox news really puts into context how kinda stressed/overwhelmed he sounded on Observer Radio and just his general look the last few months. New kid and a pretty self-inflicted loaded schedule can exacerbate issues you think you have under control. 

He seems like a solid dude so obviously this is a tough time and I hope this is a pro-active decision he made and not caused by something dramatic that happened.

Does WWE announce when talent goes to rehab or need to take time off due to issues?  It seems like they've fallen into a pattern of being vague or just pulling people off tv without explanation.  For instance, AJ Styles has missed a few weeks of tv lately due to a "non-injury medical issue.".  I have no idea what that means, and honestly, it's none of my business, so that's more than I need to know as it is.  

Maybe Mox wanted the info put out there, or at least didn't care, but this seems like a personal issue that doesn't need played out in front of the cameras.  Granted, it'd be hard to keep the reason for his sudden absence from leaking to Meltzer or Satin, or whatever, but Vince seems to manage it when he wants to.  

In the one excerpt that I saw from Mox besides the Dunn bit he referred to himself as a borderline alcoholic, which was a bit eyebrow raising, but I figured it was hyperbole. One thing I’m learning as I get older is that a person can pull themselves out of the rough environment that they grew up in and still struggle because they weren’t taught healthy coping skills and conflict management. My dad picked the bottle over his family. I’ve been pretty fortunate not to have addiction issues, but it takes work every day to build the resources for myself I wasn’t given so I can make the best decisions for myself and those close to me. 

• Like 8

The Khan post says it was with Mox's blessing so we can go with that. 

FWIW - on AJ, Meltzer made a comment of something like "I'm sure he'll be yelling about it soon" on AJ missing time.

Edit: specific quote: 

“AJ’s got a non-injury medical issue, is what I was told. I’m sure he’s gonna yell and scream about it at some point, but that is what they said. A non-injury medical issue.”

Edited by Hagan

11 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

One of the rumor sites had Petey getting a tryout as an agent for WWE.

Part of me wants Petey to get this job so one wrestler uses the Canadian Destroyer, it's always called correctly on commentary, and it always leads to a pinfall.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, (BP) said:

In the one excerpt that I saw from Mox besides the Dunn bit he referred to himself as a borderline alcoholic, which was a bit eyebrow raising, but I figured it was hyperbole.

Yeah, I saw that last week and it immediately struck me as an iffy thing to say. There's old interviews out there where John said he was drinking before deathmatches, another one where he said he was getting drunk with Ric Flair before his arrest in Boston. It adds up. There's a very fine line when it comes to romanticizing boozehound behavior, I think we'll see AEW pull back on those aspects of Hangman Page's character in the coming weeks.

I do get the idea that this isn't a new issue for the AEW locker room. There was a lot of discussion surrounding Jericho's weight gain and conditioning, lots of drunk tweeting, as well as a ton of talent looking bombed out of their mind when BTE was confined to Daily's Place. I've already seen some of those talents start to look a little healthier and happier on-camera, I can only hope Moxley being super transparent like this helps that trend.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Yeah, I saw that last week and it immediately struck me as an iffy thing to say.

Same!  I kept thinking about that and the spot that was played for laughs, in a "OH THOSE WACKY RASSLERS" way, in the Rhodes to the Top commercials, where he tells Brandi backstage that he's drunk. 

32 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Same!  I kept thinking about that and the spot that was played for laughs, in a "OH THOSE WACKY RASSLERS" way, in the Rhodes to the Top commercials, where he tells Brandi backstage that he's drunk

Just want to correct this and say the line is hungover, not drunk. Coming to a building hungover and drunk are two totally different things. I know you didn't post that with any malice or anything. Just don't want incorrect rumors to start from an innocent typo here. As far as we know he wasn't performing under the influence, just partying too hard after the shows ended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Just want to correct this and say the line is hungover, not drunk. Coming to a building hungover and drunk are two totally different things. I know you didn't post that with any malice or anything. Just don't want incorrect rumors to start from an innocent typo here. As far as we know he wasn't performing under the influence, just partying too hard after the shows ended.

AHHHH my mistake.  Thanks!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

My first thought was that I hoped all the stress last week involving the leaked/hacked baby pictures did not trigger any incidents. 

I've met a lot of "borderline drunks" in AA and most of us realized at some point that was an excuse.  The ones that didn't figure it out for themselves were told that by a counselor.  The ones that still didn't figure it out mostly kept right on drinking and made a bigger mess of themselves. 

Hopefully Mox came to the realization himself that he needed help, and there wasn't some sort of intervention or tipping point, but..... I haven't met too many people with that sort of self-awareness who needed to go to an inpatient program.  Usually, they were still in denial even as they were being checked in.

When I was 24, I would have sworn on a bible in court that I didn't have a drinking problem.  I went because my wife made it clear she was going to do something drastic if I didn't at least attend a session.  It took all of one meeting for me to listen to other people's stories and realize I was full of shit and self-denial on the topic.

Edited by Eoae

Anyone that follows Renee knows that she likes to have a good time, too. Mox's books is full of stories like that. Nothing wrong with any of that and I hope this doesn't turn into concern trolling that any wrestler that drinks or parties is headed for tragedy or something. While we don't know the specifics of the Moxley thing, anytime anyone looks at a behavior and decides they need help is a good thing. I just hope it doesn't let a lot of bad faith actors start making bad takes about people's personal choices.

• Like 5