DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 10/29/2021

Between Rampage and Dynamite this week that was some truly solid pro wrestling with something of well everything. 3 hours and I would argue the best 2 shows to date. Rampage - oh my. I loved just about everything - 3 matches that made sense, with good commentary. Kingston-Danielson was some serous stiff, hard hitting action. Britt - give her credit and that was a spectacle. 

Then Kingston-Punk could be great too. 

• Like 6

Dear God.. wait I think I've said that before..

But yeah... Danielson is going to need a week off just to not wince in pain every time he moves while wearing a shirt. Hope they got a good aspercreme type rub backstage... He's going to need it.

And Abadon is more of a horror movie slasher then Michael Myers. I would have loved the last shot being baker and crew retreating in fear. I dig the ending isn't for everyone.. but just like Omega has the Elite to back him up, Britt has her crew making sure the title stays around her waist.. which plays into the Tay/Jay friendship working to counteract it at full gear

• Like 1

That was just a perfect three-ring circus hour of wrestling.  A vicious brawl, a workrate spotfest, and a deathmatch with a literal ghoul.  Something for everyone.

Danielson/Kingston was great, of course.  Excalibur talked about King's Road but it felt more like a modern take on Fujiwara/Sayama to me.  Eddie was such a great dick in this.  Besides the chops he was throwing those cheap shots at Danielson's jaw and ribs and legs whenever he could.  This was the best his machine gun chops have looked, which I guess is a natural consequence of just throwing them full speed.  Danielson's selling was really on point.  He did the great knockout sell (at least I hope it was a sell) after the super back suplex and his huffing and puffing and seething behind his hair as we was getting the life chopped out of him was great facial work.  Loved the finish with Eddie being a bastard right til the end.  Goddamn, what a match.

• Like 7

I’ve not watched the whole show yet but just finished Kingston vs Bryan and holy shit. They had what I consider to be my favourite type of match that is just bell to bell, no hula shut, non-stop intense and brutal action, no wasted second and just a full on war.

It gave me Bret-Austin and Joe-Kobashi vibes in that they’re matches that skip any sort of feeling out process and just go for 100% intensity from the get go. The crowd also added to this big time feel with how into it they where.

Everything both guys did looked amazing and brutal, every hit landed a 100% and I liked how there was nothing in terms of celebration when Bryan won,  they both lied there half dead after the pin.

It’s not easy getting crowd support when wrestling Danielson but he even got booed a few times here and it shows how much of a valuable and beloved character Kingston is. I’m not sure he can reach World Title status in AEW with how loaded the main event scene is but he definitely deserves a TV Title run sooner than later.

In terms of rasslin I like this is top tier stuff for me and I give it an easy *****

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 6

Holy fuck!  Last night was a symphony of violence.  Eddie / Bryan was fucking insane and Sydal / Martin was better than the match I expected it to be.  Putting in a high flyers match after the ground war that was Kingston vs. Danielson was excellent card management.

Abadon not getting the win was kinda bullshit.  Britt's title wasn't on the line, so what was the harm in letting Zombie Girl win on Halloween weekend?  Other than Abadon not winning, it was nice follow on to Shida / Deeb and I think it was good that Britt reminded us how hardcore she really is.  

Those stubborn tables. tho.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5

Dropping in having just seen Kingston vs Danielson. Amazing match. First third had some amazing defensive wrestling by Kingston. Danielson's been wrestling like Hansen and he became that brick wall that could stop him and jam his attempts to go after his leg or arm. Then the violence opened up. Great transitions. Great little moments. Huge props to the crowd. They were a little chant heavy but that's the most awake and alive we've seen a taped Rampage crowd in a while. They went up so big after the DDT and then they went up even bigger after the backfist (to the future). Ending worked perfectly. What Gregg missed is that Danielson had shown him that same bit of defiance earlier in the match during the real height of the beating when he was crumpled in the corner. The other key moment for me was when Eddie collapsed before the knee and Danielson just unloaded on him. The whole mood changed for a moment and it's another finger unfurling of the Monkey Paw that is AEW Brian Danielson.

And then after the match they set up Punk vs Kingston?

• Like 13

30 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Dropping in having just seen Kingston vs Danielson. Amazing match. First third had some amazing defensive wrestling by Kingston. Danielson's been wrestling like Hansen and he became that brick wall that could stop him and jam his attempts to go after his leg or arm. Then the violence opened up. Great transitions. Great little moments. Huge props to the crowd. They were a little chant heavy but that's the most awake and alive we've seen a taped Rampage crowd in a while. They went up so big after the DDT and then they went up even bigger after the backfist (to the future). Ending worked perfectly. What Gregg missed is that Danielson had shown him that same bit of defiance earlier in the match during the real height of the beating when he was crumpled in the corner. The other key moment for me was when Eddie collapsed before the knee and Danielson just unloaded on him. The whole mood changed for a moment and it's another finger unfurling of the Monkey Paw that is AEW Brian Danielson.

And then after the match they set up Punk vs Kingston?

Great write up. Yep, CM Punk vs. Eddie Kingston. Thinking it goes down at Full Gear with two weeks of promos towards it. Can see Kingston wanting to bring out CM Punk and not Happy Punk.

• Like 2

Holy fuck, Danielson vs Kingston was excellent. Easy MOTYC and another notch on both men's belts. Kingston in particular was fantastic, just lacing Danielson with ultra-stiff chops, perfect timing on all the big spots and that backfist! Awesome, awesome stuff. And Punk vs Kingston is the 2000s indy dream match I never knew I wanted, but it feels so obvious. That would be an incredible feud to build for Full Gear.

I am a limited patience for these spooky horror movie gimmick and Britt vs Abadon was not good, but on the plus side I am still into Britt Baker: Hardcore Superstar

• Like 2

Sydal vs Martin was pretty good. Martin's best qualities are his ability to make stupid stuff look reasonable due to sheer speed and execution and the selling which underpins everything and gives it resonance. I liked Sydal grounding him and stretching him here as that made a lot of sense and played out well.

As for Punk/Kingston, the interactions were so different. Both of them had layers of disappointment, but Danielson's disappointment was that Kingston wasn't a gym-working, tape-studying, highly focused stone cold killer and Punk's disappointment was that the little guy showed a lack of professionalism and decor backstage and interrupted someone else's interview time. Night and day between Monkey Paw Wish Danielson and Ol' Uncle Punk.

• Like 4