DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 10/27/2021

Dolfan in NYC

19 hours ago, The Natural said:

Until CM Punk wrestled in them, I'd never heard the term long bois/longboi before. I like the tights look on Punk. Funny how he alternates between the tights and the trunks.

Yeah, those look like what most of us Finns start wearing around this time of year, UNDER our actual pants. I wasn't aware of the term, either, but I busted them out about a month ago, at least!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Yeah, those look like what most of us Finns start wearing around this time of year, UNDER our actual pants. I wasn't aware of the term, either, but I busted them out about a month ago, at least!

That's actually awesome. I have found that what we call "long johns" in the US can get too hot, so I switched to using my girlfriend's workout pants under jeans. Pretty great so far, and I had no idea I was showing solidarity with my Finnish friends

• Like 3

On 10/28/2021 at 9:03 AM, J.T. said:

We all marked for Stu Grayson coming to the ring as Kratos from God of War because we are video game nerds.

I thought it was Braveheart but knew that wasn't quite right.

23 hours ago, D.Z said:

941,000 viewers, 0.40 rating in P18-49 (518,000 viewers). Was bound to go below 1.0 again.

So both CM Punk and Bryan Danielson don't move the needle tv ratings and viewers wise. Neither of them retained the boost in viewers, both aren't siphoning viewers away from WWE. Rampage ratings has freefallen downwards and Dynamite is heading downwards to 0.8 again. AEW lost all those extra viewers they gained.

Honk.

Edited by KingM

13 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

It's fun to look back eighteen months and realize he hasn't deviated from his path at all. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. 

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, except when it's a big brown dick." - Geo. Carlin

• Haha 1

If a wrestling company can consistently put on great shows with a rating that makes them and their network happy, can't we just enjoy that for what it is? Yeah, a million plus and gaining would be awesome but it's been said that TNT is stoked with AEW. That's pretty fucking great, to me. 

• Like 13

10 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

If a wrestling company can consistently put on great shows with a rating that makes them and their network happy, can't we just enjoy that for what it is? Yeah, a million plus and gaining would be awesome but it's been said that TNT is stoked with AEW. That's pretty fucking great, to me. 

Some people live to shit on other people's parade. I have no time in life for those people.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

TNT has to be thrilled - getting 80% or more of RAW numbers at half the price.  And some very good coverage

• Like 6

On 10/29/2021 at 3:42 PM, KingM said:

So both CM Punk and Bryan Danielson don't move the needle tv ratings and viewers wise. Neither of them retained the boost in viewers, both aren't siphoning viewers away from WWE. Rampage ratings has freefallen downwards and Dynamite is heading downwards to 0.8 again. AEW lost all those extra viewers they gained.

Honk.

I mean, this show went against both a World Series game that drew over 10 million viewers and a two point something in the demo, and a fairly successful NBA game. I don't think it's a sign that they are trending back down all that far as much as it is a sign that major sporting events hurt AEW a lot, just like has been true basically since the show launched.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Some people live to shit on other people's parade. I have no time in life for those people.

Absolutely. Sometimes I have a shred of sympathy for some of these people because they seem to be completely miserable in some other aspect of their lives but maybe they're just assholes. Either way I see very little point in engaging with the negativity.

• Like 2

I almost feel like giving Abaddon a win here through her freakiness might have been a good idea. Like having Baker tap out when Abaddon was biting her hand. I get that a roll-up keeps her strong in defeat, but since it was a non-title match I don't think there would have been any harm.

Just caught up, enjoyable show, some assorted thoughts.

Punk Fish was really good. I thought the almost kick-out made perfect sense. Little touches like that, and Punk’s flying elbow off one leg, were the low-key highlights for me. 

I actually prefer Punk’s long tights look, for whatever reason I think it adds to the whole veteran vibe he has now.

I didn’t really get them signing Fish, but I think his presentation has been great and he’s brought it. I think it’s another bit of really smart booking, having guys like him and Spears as mid-card JTTS means it isn’t always your future stars taking these losses.

I’ve enjoyed Sammy’s title matches so far and this was again solid. He seems to have reined in some of his finisher overkill tendencies recently. As a face character though, he’s not really working for me since the initial stuff as a foil in the MJF-Inner Circle feud. It feels like he’s playing dress up in Jericho’s weird biker gang fantasy with the leather vest, and he still gives off a cocky little prick vibe more than anything else.

I like the idea behind the Cody promo. Him maintaining that he’s a hero as the fans rebel against him is kinda where I’d go with this, but the execution here was too on the nose.

I mostly enjoyed the main. In amongst Ghostbusters, donkeys and everything else - the thing I found the goofiest was Uno’s stupid ‘ref catches the leg’ neckbreaker. That’s a cute idea that should never have become a signature spot. Seeing Knox cluelessly shuffling into position telegraphed it even more.

On 10/29/2021 at 8:42 PM, KingM said:

Honk.

They do, if utilised well. Punk’s usage in particular has been erratic. There’s still probably a little too much goofy stuff in general. Bringing in ATT was a good creative idea but wasting it on dad-bod & granddad-jokes Jericho for example was most certainly not the move. Whatever Cody involves himself with degenerates quickly and is dirge. Few issues.

Edited by A_K

4 hours ago, A_K said:

Bringing in ATT was a good creative idea

Where's that Dwight Schrute false gif when ya need it lol.

I don't enjoy MMA. I also don't enjoy MMA being involved in pro wrestling. Because then it becomes this weird unavoidable mental struggle of it's the guys that fight for real vs they guys that don't. Just my opinion on it.

And to take my opinion a step further, Dan Lambert is about the worst wrestling promo ever and a total channel changer for me. Now his delivery is awesome. And some of the content is really good as well. But he doesn't do promos. He does monologues. He has one long scripted thought and will not deviate from it or play with the fans reactions or acknowledge anything other than the predetermined thoughts he had while planning it out. It gets to be this very awkward struggle that is just total cringe to me. That's not a wrestling promo. Even WWE promos that are scripted are at least delivered by wrestlers who understand how to interact with the crowd within that script.

Paige Van Zandt can stay tho.

• Like 2

I have the opposite opinion. Dan Lambert is one of the best wrestling promos I've ever seen and a demands my total attention whenever he comes on for me. He reacts to the crowd's chants all the time and in ways that seem more natural and quick-witted to me than the forced "Pause for Chant A before continuing to Insult B" that WWE scripted promos have. He even took the crowd over for a moment the other week when Jericho's mic was momentarily not working. 

I will agree that Paige Van Zandt can stay. I'd get rid of her husband though.

• Like 4

Dan Lambert is the promo equivalent of a spot monkey. He races to his next line so fast just to get all his shit in. He doesn't let any of his statements have time to sink in. He doesn't do wrestling promos. He does old man yelling at clouds monologues. He thinks he's coming off like fired up Ric Flair when in reality he's coming off like an old timey auctioneer that's mildly annoyed people keep bidding in increments of one penny.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Dan Lambert is the promo equivalent of a spot monkey. He races to his next line so fast just to get all his shit in. He doesn't let any of his statements have time to sink in. He doesn't do wrestling promos. He does old man yelling at clouds monologues. He thinks he's coming off like fired up Ric Flair when in reality he's coming off like an old timey auctioneer that's mildly annoyed people keep bidding in increments of one penny.

I thought he was pretty great the first time I saw him but after a few times I think this is pretty accurate.

I couldn't disagree more, but to each their own. Lambert is a good promo,  who i think outshines Jericho 100% of the time when they go back and forth.  I think his biggest issue is that he's been paired with Jericho for so long. Lambert's group has the potential to be a really good midcard heel faction, but they have bloated the program with MMA guys who i don't think will ever be around full time instead of pushing the actual wrestler's as threats. This could have been a great Scorpio Sky/Ethan Page vs. Santana and Ortiz feud, but Sky and Page are kind of lost in the bigger group. Seriously, if it was just the two tag teams with PVZ being the one MMA fighter who is on TV every week,  this feud is much more entertaining to me.  At this point,  the feud is taking up a lot of time without actually getting anyone over.