DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 10/27/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Fish/Punk was good!  I enjoyed Fish kicking Punk's leg out of his leg the whole time.  I didn't exactly enjoy the HHH/Booker-esque "take forever to pin the opponent" finish but they did it the best way possible, with Fish allllllmost kicking out.

As much as agents are needed to make sure matches aren't all the same, what about agents for gear?  Fish and Sammy both wore black and red and I guess we should be thankful 2.0 and Garcia weren't on the show.

Speaking of agenting, two matches that end with the losing heel jumping the winning babyface is one too many.

Excalibur: "MJF fulfilling his quarterly wrestling requirement."  LOOOOL

That being said, TK definitely learned the lesson of leaning on wrestlers' positives and getting away from their negatives.  I don't personally think MJF is as great on the mic as some but it's definitely more of a strong point than his wrestling.

Shida/Deeb was so fucking great.

Speaking of positives/negatives, I find nothing compelling at all about Ethan Page.  Bland, short haired, tall white guy in short trunks.  He looks like someone Johnny Ace would have hired from an underwear catalog back in his reign of terror.  I guess he's in the lower end of the upper half of promos in the company but that's damning with faint praise.  In the ring, he's replacement level.  Good enough but nothing special.  Since he has some size, could we do a trade to NXT 2.0 for O'Reilly and Strong?

So tired of talking about Cody.  Wrestlers aren't supposed to break that fourth wall and say shit like, "I'm not going to turn."  That is some Russo Ass Shit.  That's enough for today.

JR drops a Ray Donovan reference AND they're in Boston.  Tremendous.

This company exceeds at goofy-ass multiman matches and it's just beautiful.  They could do that main event in their sleep and it would be so great every single time.

"In the pink" is such an unfortunate name for a charity.  I hear they have a sister charity for proctology awareness but its name escapes me.

LOL @ 10 giving away the mask tearing by wearing his old mask and not his cool new one.

LOOOOL @ Grayson coming out as Kratos after I'm sure everyone here said he looked like Great Value Kratos months ago.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

As much as agents are needed to make sure matches aren't all the same, what about agents for gear?  Fish and Sammy both wore black and red and I guess we should be thankful 2.0 and Garcia weren't on the show.

There was a point around mid 2000s ROH where you could have 4 guys or more in the ring wearing black and red attire, wrestling on a black and red ring canvas with black and red turnbuckles and ropes with black and red ROH logos all over the barricade and entrance. 

Not to mention lots of these attires were those plasticky shiny pants that were all the rage amongs Indy wrestlers back then.

I still loved it tho.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I think that's OK as long as opponents aren't in matching gear 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

So tired of talking about Cody.  Wrestlers aren't supposed to break that fourth wall and say shit like, "I'm not going to turn."  That is some Russo Ass Shit.  That's enough for today.

"I would never abuse my power as an executive" Cody said after he entered from his special elevator that no one else is allowed to use.

The promo was odd and didn't really work for me but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in Cody/Pac vs Andrade/Black.

• Haha 5

I thought the Cody promo was pretty great.  My instincts are telling me this IS going somewhere interesting.  However, I’m willing to recant should it not.  

The rest of the show continued to reinforce my excitement for this promotion and the overall direction it is going in.  I really don’t need WWE anymore.  

I love you, AEW.

• Like 7

Felt the show had a bit of everything. Good promos (Black's ), good to great wrestling matches (woman's match was golden, how Deeb did not get a shot on the main roster at WWE is beyond me at this point), and then well the 4 way was just fun.  I actually was laighing out loud at the end in a good way - not a ridicule but in a way that was fun. I said earlier - it reminded me of a Kurt Angle/Rock type thing. Great way to prop up Hangman, and he hit his finisher on Omega. AEW has that full build PPV in place. 

And less is more here. 2 hours with the roster size is to me perfect. 

Show flew by except for Cody's promo. But I am one to see where this goes - we have gotten so use to the WWE rapid fire build something in a week to two to fit a PPV.  As long as Black gets to branch out from Cody, AEW has the luxury to let this go longer. I have to think TK and Cody have a plan.  TK's booking is evolving (for the better).

Edited by chriskbrown50
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Until CM Punk wrestled in them, I'd never heard the term long bois/longboi before.

I think it's probably/definitely just a coincidence, but I've been thinking about this tweet every day for years and never get to talk about it:

https://twitter.com/trentylocks/status/776672982429077504?t=Se3YxDPHxW9AJm9SFvfCHA&s=19

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, chriskbrown50 said:

Felt the show had a bit of everything. Good promos (Black's ), good to great wrestling matches (woman's match was golden, how Deeb did not get a shot on the main roster at WWE is beyond me at this point),

Well... she isnt blonde, is over 30, and wouldnt get any surgery.

So, Fish/Punk was tremendously executed, I'm just not a Bobby Fish fan. As far as him being qAnon, it seems like he went to that one event and since then has been silent on the subject. I'm willing to give everyone one "my bad" with stuff like that. Like, sometimes your friend tells you you're going to a private island to party and you end up at J-ff Epstein's house. Ok, that's an extreme example, but it works. Anyway, the finish looked off to me, but iiwii. 

I am just not a fan of MJF. I don't think he's as edgy as he thinks he is and his promos feel like an eighth grader who just figured out he can curse as loud as he wants if he sits on the back row of the bus. The thing where the lights went out and Spears was like "bro, that wasn't me" made me chuckle. Wardlow is going to murder Spears and MJF and I'm ok with it. Or the rest of the Pinnacle will stay intact and kick MJF out. Either way, it will be glorious.

That women's match ruled ass. Shida and Deeb have phenomenal chemistry.

Cody Rhodes promo was.. weird. My fear is that he's going over Andrade, too. Cody has Krysten Sinema levels of lack of self awareness right now. 

Mox murdered that young man. As a new-ish father myself, Mox's "it's bullshit that I have to be here on two hours sleep" energy made me laugh. 

The main event was really fun. Kenny wrestling with a proton pack on made me laugh as much as Mox's FTK energy. I'm not surprised that it took an act of congress for a Jackson to eat a pin on live tv, but it was satisfying nonetheless. I am a sucker for the "guy in costume is not who the heels think it is" reveal. It's always funny, and it always will be funny to me. I did also want to add that Adam Cole getting punked by John Silver in a brute force contest made me smile on the inside, as Cole has the upper body of one of those kids Sally Struthers was always trying to get you to feed in the 90's. Cabana as Cutler ruled, as did the TMNT2 reference. I remembered it right away. "Ninja! Ninja Rap!" I fucks with that movie so hard. Anyway, the Elite slowly eroding has been fun to watch. I second the suggestion from an earlier post of Silver/Reynolds getting to beat the Bucks at Full Gear. Remember; every time the Bucks show ass an angel gets its wings. 

Edited by just drew
  • Like 4

I didn't like this as much as apparently everyone else. Felt like and was a transitional show, setting up all the matches to come. Shida still isn't doing anything for me though she did throw at least one or two stiff shots. Page threw some stiff chops and Sammy's flying was slick. Main was fun and that Axe Guillotine Driver was evil, fitting for Ex to just yell "DIE!" after it. But otherwise we got a long Cody promo, a long MJF promo, a long Sammy promo, and a lot of "putting together the pieces". I should go back and watch Punk/Fish again though because I was pretty out of it last night and finished the show just now. 

3 minutes ago, D.Z said:

941,000 viewers, 0.40 rating in P18-49 (518,000 viewers). Was bound to go below 1.0 again.

Always nice to surpass a million, but it seems pretty damn good up against a world series game with two teams from big southern markets, and having been moved to a completely different date/time for two weeks

• Like 3