DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 10/27/2021

Dolfan in NYC

More douchebag promos from douchebag Cody Rhodes who wins over fans with stupid, cheap pandering BS. Stupid fans are stupid too. They're fickle.

And now, AEW has turned Malakai Black vs. Cody Rhodes to John Cena vs. Bray Wyatt 2.0.

1 hour ago, matt925 said:

Also with the punk finish, the commentators were selling that he used his injured leg so it wouldn’t have the same power, and he took some time to cover. I thought the kickout right after three  may have been face saving for fish. I’m sure we’ll find out if something got messed up. 

Looking at my DVR, his shoulder was up before the three count. Also it took Punk a minute to go into "celebrating a win" mode, which made me think it was supposed to be a 2.9 kickout and the ref fucked up.

Also I hate to be that guy since I've been loving so much of what AEW's been doing lately but this show was kind of a bummer all around for me. Call me grampa if you want, I'm old enough to not care, but I loathed the main event. JR was openly shitting on it for fuck's sake. I'm supposed to buy Hangman as being seriously pissed off after taking the marshmallow head off? (and even on the level of "just enjoy the silly", how do you have four guys in ghostbuster costumes w/proton packs and NOBODY makes a joke about "crossing the streams?"

Deeb's legwork was good (albeit she switched which leg she was targeting midway through) but Shida wasn't selling any of it, running around and jumping off shit from start to finish.

Bryan ought to know (and probably does know) that depression hits different people differently. So we're left with him manipulating Eddie just to piss him off. Too real tbh.

Speaking of, at this point I don't care if Cody turns or not, he should never cut a promo on HHH again unless he's gonna come out and have a match with him on AEW TV or PPV.

Both alliances in the Pac/Cody Black/Andrade feud seem thrown together and weird.

On the plus side, I thought the MJF/Darby segment was good, the Sammy/Page match was solid, Mox as angry wrecking ball works, especially since it's likely to conclude with a final against Bryan who he can't quite do that to, and the Punk/Fish match was very good until the possibly botched ending.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Technico Support said:

That thumbnail is crying for a Brazzers logo

I honestly never heard of the site till here.

Great GIF alert:

Looking forward to Andrade vs. PAC in the rubber match. Either do it at Rampage like the previous two entries or Full Gear.

5 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

Hell, with my depression and health issues (that lead to cycles where I don't feel like taking meds, which leads to a downward spiral), I hear Eddie. Except for horrifying outbursts of rage, I have "isolate into a ball and sleep 16+ hours a day"), so yeah, that came off heel-ish from Danielson.

I mean in a good way. Not like a self-health coach, but someone who can say "I've wrestled with that depression. I beat it, and I'm here working every day. If Eddie Kingston can't put in the same amount of work that I can, he's not as strong as I am". Trust me, there's nothing that people who battle depression hate more then "All you have to do is POWER THROUGH IT! OUT WORK IT!"

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm on the downward spiral right now. I don't want to stop taking my meds or have the outbursts of rage, but I've been regularly sleeping until 1 or 2 in the afternoon.

So yeah, that comes off as super heelish from Danielson. There's nothing I hate more than someone who means well, but is uneducated on the subject, so they try to help you with lines like, "You just need some fresh air." or even worse, "Just get over it.".

4 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

Yeah, this convo has reminded me that I hadn't taken my meds today, and 11:25 pm ain't the best time to take them, but it's better then putting it off till morning, because my brain will come up with another reason not to take it then. So thanks, Bryan Danielson, you asshole. I took my meds because of you. (No, I know he's not an asshole.)

Sorry, for the TMI, DVDVR's but yeah.

I can identify. You ever need to talk, I'm there. Keep on going xxx.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'm glad to see JR was his usual cranky fucking self during the main event. Jesus christ, get him off commentary already.

He'd seemed a lot better about it the last few months, but Christ he was obnoxious tonight.

Show was fun though. Ethan Page might be the most underrated guy in the company.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Other thoughts:

The Cody promo was... weird. He's either actually going the Cena route, or it's a red herring. I'm partial to thinking he's going full Cena, and you never go full Cena. He's probably the only guy, that I can think of, that can make the "babyface that gets boo'd a lot" meta character work, and Cody for sure ain't fuckin' John Cena. In any case, Cody & PAC vs Black & Andrade will absolutely rule, if and when it happens.

Also - who would have thought that when CM Punk finally makes his return to pro wrestling, that he'd be opening the show and Colt Cabana would be in the main event? Jokes aside, I do love that Punk is seemingly doing the AEW version of Mortal Kombat's Tower modes. Just working his way from the bottom, all the way to the top. EDIT: Oh, and there was a recent interview with Punk where he mentions that the story he's trying to tell right now is that Punk is choosing to do things this way because he's finding his love of pro wrestling again. He compares it to the (likely) "storyline" that WWE would have gave him - returns and wins the Rumble, main events 'Mania, wins the title. That's boring for him, and the character, so it stands to reason he wouldn't want to do that same type of thing in AEW.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 5

Two glorious hours of pro wrestling! 

I enjoyed Fish vs. Punk until the very end.  There was enough psychology there to point to Fish kicking out late of a compromised GTS and the spot still protected Punk's finish as death even if partially neutralized, but late kickouts just feel like botches to me as if somebody missed their cue.  Fish worked his ass off and Punk sold far better than I expected him to.  It was good to see Punk fight from underneath and give Bobby some time to show his offense.

I cannot wait for Wardlow to go batshit and smash MJF.

I know that Ethan Page is a decent dude in real life, but boy is he a douchebag in the ring and his face is so punchable.  I am not sure how I feel about Sammy crushing Miro with a 630, but then having to resort to jackknife pins to defeat Ethan Page.  I hate the idea of the 10 man street fight.  It will protect the Top Team guys who may be deficient in the ring, but it also robs us of a TNT title match on a PPV.  Why are Santana & Ortiz involved in this bullshit when there are AEW and AAA tag titles to chase.  Wasn't Jake Hagar an AEW world title contender at some point?  Why isn't he busting faces and marching up the rankings?  This is a do nothing feud for the IC.

Serena Deeb is a machine.  I am angry that she got bounced in the first round of this dumb tournament but 50-50 booking prevails.  Shida gets her 50th win and Deeb at least gets a post match beatdown out of the contest and this feud has legs that may go all the way to a tbs title defense where Deeb gets the belt.

10 vs. Mox was as violent as I hoped it would be.  10 died for our amusement.  Give him some love.  I'm guessing that Mox is transitioning to heel now that he has killed 10 and Wheeler YUTA and apparently enjoys beating down babyfaces on the rise.  This is more than Mox just being No BS, I think.  Well see if I am right when he faces Orange Cassidy in the next round of this tournament.

Cody needs Pac to get his babyface shine back because he has no idea how to book himself?  I hope Black and El Idolo kill them both.

I totally expected DO to lose, but they won and I am glad even if it took Page in a Stay Puft marshmallow man costume to secure victory.  The only thing that would've made this match better would've been if Adam Cole had eaten the Spin Doctor from Silver and gotten pinned.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

That was great fun! Was I hearing things, or was "I ain't afraid of no ghosts" changed to "I ain't afraid of no Budge" in the Elite entrance song? If I'm wrong, I don't wanna hear it because I laughed too much at that. 

They seemed to be planting some seeds for dissension between Omega and Cole in the main between Kenny not tagging Cole and then Cole distracting Kenny to take his place for the camel clutch kisses. 

PAC dropping into Black's pose was beautiful as was Black's sell of it. 

Mox is really selling his pissed off state while through the crowd, he shoved a few fans outta his way on the way down then just kicked the guardrail right at another on his way out. 

• Like 3

I'm not 100% sure if Mox is actually going to fully turn, or if they are just trying to position him a bit more heelish so that the crowd sides with Danielson in the presumed final. Either way, I'm kinda unconvinced that having him be a complete bad ass that runs through people is going to get him many jeers (though he did get a smattering of boos when he bit Pres10 last night.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cristobal said:

how do you have four guys in ghostbuster costumes w/proton packs and NOBODY makes a joke about "crossing the streams?"

I can't remember who said it, maybe Excalibur, but that joke was 100% made! I'm sure that changes your opinion on the main entirely ?

10 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I wonder what Bobby Fish was thinking kicking out after the GTS on the finish?

I think they were trying to sell the idea that the GTS is still death even if Punk hits it with his bad knee and takes forever to make the cover.  All of that time to recover and Fish still could not kick out before three.

I have seen late kick-out spots that worked, but this wasn't one of them.  That looked like a miscue.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

Honestly? While it would suck for tbs title purposes, I would love to see Shida either lose the next match to Nyla by being not medically cleared, or squashed in one-two minutes, followed by another Deeb beatdown/stretching. Give me something like Thunder Rosa-Britt Baker, but instead of tacks and hardcore, something like an "I QUIT" match. 

Have Shida do one of her film things as a training montage on destroying Deeb as part of the buildup.

10 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

Honestly? While it would suck for tbs title purposes, I would love to see Shida either lose the next match to Nyla by being not medically cleared, or squashed in one-two minutes, followed by another Deeb beatdown/stretching. Give me something like Thunder Rosa-Britt Baker, but instead of tacks and hardcore, something like an "I QUIT" match. 

I fully support the Serenity Lock vs. Stretch Muffler I QUIT match between Deeb and Shida, especially since both of those finishes focuses on the legs and lower back and they will be working to neutralize the other's sub finisher as they try to soften up each other for their own finishers.

Then you can sell the whole thing about the applier of the hold being in nearly as much pain as the victim since they are trying to grind out a submission after suffering a beating and that leads to brilliant reversals, counters, and transitions.  Each lady knows that the other's favorite sub finisher is a leg lock, so it should be a nice chess match between the two.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 7

Playing catch up. Time's limited.

Punk vs Fish. Here's my SC pre-write:

Spoiler

I'm starting to see some patterns with Punk's matches. Structurally, the first acts are pretty complete, to the point where I could haven seen things ending after the tope and being a nice, little TV match. Instead, that's the predecessor to the heat. The Garcia and Sydal matches had similar moments where they just broke open. In general, Punk looks as smooth and physically sound as I may have ever seen him. I'm guessing it's either due to the time off or all the training he did for MMA and just changing his body and his way of moving. The early knees in the corner looked great. The switch around neckbreaker looked so smooth. The way he's able to adapt to working on one limb while making some of his stuff, like the elbow drop, look as good as ever, is pretty impressive. And that's just the half of it. Punk was getting fans to pop huge for bodyslams. In 2021. Three times. There's so much value to that and so much skill and so much daring and fearlessness to just lean into something simple and trust that the fans will go along with you for the ride. They did, 100%. There's value in having matches paced like this on an AEW card to help (re)train the fans. Once this got going, I liked how Fish varied his offense, which made things a little different than the Garcia match. The hurt leg was often a means to his other shots, which themselves were a means to let him target the leg again. It was a good 65/35 balance between leg shots and cutoffs and other bits of offensive striking. That was obvious and overt. Less obvious was the early transition where he picked Punk up in a fireman's carry and in my head, that was to goad punk into going for the GTS too early. A leap? Maybe but these guys earned plenty of good will here. As for that kickout right on 3 on the GTS? It was the guy's birthday and more importantly it was earned and set up by Punk's inability to get over there quickly and the fact he couldn't cover Fish how he would have wanted. 

There was a lot I liked about Page vs Sammy. I don't think the pacing/selling was necessarily earned early on with the shots they were firing, but I'm glad that it gave them a place to go for the last third of the match. The big shots (fireman's carry kick, top rope side slam drop) were cutesy but that's probably in character for both of these guys and it costs them as much as it helps them, so it's fine. I liked Sammy's midsection (front and back) being targeted and his selling late match (even if I thought it was overwrought early in the match). Finishing stretch worked for me.

Shida vs Deeb was hard hitting and it was great to see the crowd go up for it. That Leg DDT that Deeb did was my favorite bit, but in general, I liked how different it felt from Fish vs Punk even though both were centered around the leg. There was much more of a sense of Deeb having to work hard to keep on it (she wanted it more: it was the end for her as opposed to the means for Fish) and the selling was less in your face as in the Punk match. Finish was very clever. I totally bought the thumbpoke-small package.

I wish the announcers were leaning a little more into the Mox storyline. It's obvious to all of us what's going on based on his matches and his promo (and I wouldn't necessarily even say that what was going on was a clear heel turn; it's more interesting and more human than that), and JR's going on about how badly he wants to win the tournament and get the belt. Not quite. Match was a mauling obviously.

• Like 12

Fun show, random thoughts:

FISH vs PUNK

I Love Bobby Fish's music and look in general, I'm happy he's been showcased a lot the past few weeks.

I like how AEW has subtly restored the notion that bodyslams and back body drops are actually pretty brutal. Taz, Eddie and other wrestlers on commentary have pointed this out for the past few months and Punk was making great use of this tonight.

MISC

Loved the Invisible Man reveal (and later the Marshmallow man one). Great use of costumes tonight.

Shida's extremely fast pin reversal to win was great. Much better than the usual "1,2 reversal, 1,2 reversal" sequences. 

Whoa what’s with the squash on 10? That really came out of nowhere, felt bad for him as I thought this was gonna be a better showing for him.

Cody rising up on that platform to boos gavesome strong Ivan Drago feels. I  knew I wasn’t going crazy when I felt Cody was teasing a Pedigree last week, he knew exactly what he was doing.

MAIN EVENT

“You see John Silver as Bambi, AS HE PROMISED”

“And Kenny Omega now entering the ring with a Proton Pack”

Subtle seeds planted for the inevitable Omega-Cole Elite alpha male implosion thing one day.

FEEL GOOD ENDING

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 7