DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2021 - WEEK NINE

RIPPA

BTW - Auburn's Bryan Harsin is now on the clock

With Auburn University last week mandating a Dec. 8 deadline for all university employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, head football coach Bryan Harsin on Monday declined to disclose whether or not he had received the vaccine or planned to receive it.

--------

According to Auburn's new policy, there could be limited circumstances where an employee is legally entitled to a medical or religious accommodation from being required to take the vaccine. The Dec. 8 deadline for providing proof of vaccination means employees need to have the second dose of the Moderna or Pfizer vaccines by Nov. 24 or the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine by Nov. 24.

Harsin tested positive for COVID-19 in August and said at the time that he was not "anti-vaccine" and that any narrative along those lines was "misinformed."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32473672/auburn-football-coach-bryan-harsin-declines-disclose-vaccination-status-mandate-deadline-looms

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Texas Tech has fired Matt Wells

Sonny Cumbie is the interim

Well was 13-17 over 2 1/2 seasons.  Three of his 13 wins came against my alma mater, WVU.  

I'm sort of interested in Wells.  His career is fairly similar to WVU's current coach, Neil Brown.  Both are younger guys in their 40's. both have less than ten years hc experience, both came from small schools (Troy and Utah State) and have/had similar records in the Big 12, salaries are roughly the same, etc.).

The difference is that Matt Wells' buyout was $7.5 million.  A huge amount of money, but not an amount that will keep you from getting fired in the Power 5.  WVU gave Brown a contract extension earlier this year (after 5-7 and 6-4 seasons) that locked him up through 2026.  He collects 100% of the contract value if fired before 2025, so his buyout is $20 million after this year, $16.5 mil after next year, $13 mil if fired after the 2023 season, etc (after 2024, the buyout is 85% of the seven or eight million still left on the deal).  There's a lot of sentiment to fire Brown now unless the year somehow improves dramatically, but WVU probably won't take that kind of hit.  He could be here 3-4 more seasons even if we go 4-8 or 5-7 this year (WVU is current 3-4 and will probably will be the underdog in most of its remaining games.

I like Brown.  From all accounts, he's a good, standup guy and I've been impressed the couple times I've met him,  But, not a lot right now is convincing me he's the guy to get WVU back to prominence.  Dana Holgorson couldn't win games against Texas and Oklahoma, but he won most of the games he was expected to, usually kept us high in the polls until near the end of the season, sent a fair number of guys to the pros, and brought a Heisman candidate to Morgantown, etc.  WVU is a fair ways away from any of that right now.  

Hopefully, Brown can turn it around.  If not, his contract extension is going to be lightning rod for him and the AD that gave it to him.

Edited by Eoae

YOUR Columbia Lions (*double checks*) TRAVELLED to the frozen tundra known as Hanover, New Hampshire.  They ENTERED Memorial Field.  

And they CONQUERED the grotesque and disgusting Dartmouth Big Green.  Handing them their first shutout in 10 years, 19-0.  AND the first time Columbia has shut out Dartmouth since World War 2!  

It's the Lions first win against a nationally ranked team since 2003!  

This is the single source of joy in my life!  

Next up.... 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47kljrje9yq8zlyu72qd

CLAMS?!? On my pizza?  It's more likely than you think!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

So.... cross Tomlin's name off the list.

It's funny how he clearly gets more and more furious after each word he says. 

He has every right to be furious, that was an extremely dumb and disrespectful question.

Also the Pittsburgh sports media is total trash, besides this bullshit the day after Pitt's biggest home win in years and Kenny Pickett becoming a legit Heisman candidate, the lead column in the Sunday Post-Gazette was Ron Cook talking about why he voted from Jason White over Larry Fitzgerald for the Heisman.

BTW, in that absurd Wake Forest/Army game, Wake Forest had 638 offensive yards, and the offense scored 9 touchdowns (the tenth was an int return) all with just over 17 minutes time of possession. That's insane.

Edited by Brian Fowler

Bowl Season (the folks who oversee the operation of all the Bowl games) sent a letter to basically everyone requesting that an expanded playoff games be played at Bowl sites and not on college campus.

They also requested to be a part of the expansion talks in general

I am pretty sure neither of those things will happen

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Bowl Season (the folks who oversee the operation of all the Bowl games) sent a letter to basically everyone requesting that an expanded playoff games be played at Bowl sites and not on college campus.

They also requested to be a part of the expansion talks in general

I am pretty sure neither of those things will happen

Do you think southern schools would be down with traveling to cold weather northern cities in December or January? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

Do you think southern schools would be down with traveling to cold weather northern cities in December or January? 

Considering they rarely go north in September unless their opponent has a .300 winning percentage for the last decade?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Considering they rarely go north in September unless their opponent has a .300 winning percentage for the last decade?

That's why bowls will most likely host in the expanded playoff, or they try home games for a season but then revert to bowls after Bama or Oklahoma have to go play in Eugene or East Lansing.

• Like 1