DVDVR Message Board

Saturday Dynamite - 10/23/2021

Regarding Cody, I think he's shot himself in the foot by having weak feuds and then once he gets himself involved with a hot feud, it's against a guy that is worlds cooler than Cody. Getting cheered against Black was always going to be tough especially when Cody has been dicking around with this dull as hell Nightmare Family/The Factory feud.

However, once those cameras are off, the crowd is in love with Cody again. Up until this weird ass jingoistic Cody run, the fans weren't really WWE snarky and this is maybe the first time they booed Cody more to get themselves over or because it seemed like the cool thing to do, except they don't see Cody as a heel. Dude is a face with that crowd. I hate to say that fans should stick to cheering faces and booing heels, but it is slightly annoying that fans in house start treating Cody like a pariah when the cameras are rolling and cheer for him when they're not.

• Like 4

Nese is the same dude he was in Impact ten years ago. I recall him having a pretty good no DQ match with Noam Dar at some point in WWE, but Dar seems to have quite a few quiet bangers on the D-tier WWE shows. Nese's very much in that Brian Cage and Matt Sydal category where you know exactly what you're getting and that's all. If they think they don't already have enough guys who are capable of what Nese is, well it's Tony's (Khan not Nese) money and he can spend it how he sees fit. He's not gonna be a secret Miro, who we all knew what he was capable of for years.

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tony Nese's biggest problem is that he has net negative charisma. Dude is a total energy vampire in the ring. I mean, we think Jungle Boy or Dante Martin has a long way to go on the stick. Nese is way worse than each of them. I don't see him as a face though, so maybe they stick him with Matt Hardy.

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Regarding Cody, I think he's shot himself in the foot by having weak feuds and then once he gets himself involved with a hot feud, it's against a guy that is worlds cooler than Cody. Getting cheered against Black was always going to be tough especially when Cody has been dicking around with this dull as hell Nightmare Family/The Factory feud.

However, once those cameras are off, the crowd is in love with Cody again. Up until this weird ass jingoistic Cody run, the fans weren't really WWE snarky and this is maybe the first time they booed Cody more to get themselves over or because it seemed like the cool thing to do, except they don't see Cody as a heel. Dude is a face with that crowd. I hate to say that fans should stick to cheering faces and booing heels, but it is slightly annoying that fans in house start treating Cody like a pariah when the cameras are rolling and cheer for him when they're not.

If you're talking about the photos of fans happy to have him give them attention after a show, those fans aren't cheering for him, they're cheering for themselves and the fact they get to be part of something more directly.

Just now, Matt D said:

If you're talking about the photos of fans happy to have him give them attention after a show, those fans aren't cheering for him, they're cheering for themselves and the fact they get to be part of something more directly.

Not just that phone, but the videos that get dropped on YouTube each week when Cody is talking to the crowd when the show is over. So yeah, maybe they are cheering for themselves, but there does seem to be some love for Cody there.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention this. My wife sat with me just before the Cody vs Black match. She vaguely knows who Cody is, but she doesn't know much. So Cody comes out and she asks, "is he supposed to be the heel?" And I say, "well, it's complicated, but he's supposed to be the face." Her response to me is, "but his name is the American Nightmare and he's dressed up like Homelander. Why isn't he a heel?"

I just told her that wrestling is dumb sometimes.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Tony Nese's biggest problem is that he has net negative charisma. Dude is a total energy vampire in the ring.

Shit, now I want Colin Robinson at ringside with the glowing blue eyes anytime fans aren't getting the booking they want... Like maybe during Cody's matches...

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Just now, christopher.annino said:

Shit, now I want Colin Robinson at ringside with the glowing blue eyes anytime fans aren't getting the booking they want... Like maybe during Cody's matches...

Hmm...You may want to skip this week's WWDITS...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Late to the party but I thought this was mostly a really fun show!

Danielson vs Dustin was awesome as expected. Danielson did most of the heavy lifting, but didn't do a lot you wouldn't see in most of his other matches, it was Dustin who brought another awesome veteran performance and made it feel big.

MJF angle with Sting was good stuff and I like what they're doing with building up to Darby returning for the PPV. Not sure I'd have them doing the Wardlow angle at the same time but I'm into it and keen to see if they pull the trigger on the face turn.

Ford vs Soho had some good ideas and some fugly execution at points.

Wasn't fully paying attention to Fish vs Greene but I've come to the conclusion pretty quickly I much prefer Fish solo than in reDRagon. Misfits as his theme helps a lot. I am down for him vs Punk.

Kingston vs Archer was fun while it lasted. Loved Eddie attacking Archer on the ramp and how over he was. Archer's schtick of attacking plants is dumb and I am over it. Nasty botch, thankfully he looked OK as he landed arm before head and didn't get knocked out. Pretty nasty stinger I'd imagine. Hopefully it encourages him to cut out the moonsaults because he really doesn't need them as a big man.

Dan Lambert's schtick has gotten a bit old hat but I loved how he sold the jabs at him, a proper tantrum. Couldn't give a shit about Page or Men Of The Year but the ATT guys having a PPV match has my interest even if it probably won't be 'good'.

I loved Jungle Boy getting to look like a badass again and it's great to see how he's grown from once looking like he would shit himself if he went near a microphone. The attack on the stage felt pretty uncalled for and this now feels like a blood feud between him and Cole. I'm an anti-Cole guy but I am very into it.

Another great Moxley promo as per usual

Black vs Cody was alright. Table bump in the ad break was bad placement and the blade jobs were painfully obvious. When Johnson and Anderson came out I half through they were going to turn on Cody and join up with Black. Good continuity with Andrade showing up to help Black and PAC running interference. The hyperactive kick combos don't look that good in a brawl though. Can't say I care about the result either way, but interested to see what they do with Black for the PPV.

Edited by killsteve
  • Like 2

Malakai looks like such a goof now. He went from domineering entrance through to the gradual degradation of having Black Mass casually blocked by a 62 year old who can barely stand on a ring apron to having to cheap-heel his way to the second victory through to being beaten clean all within 3 months. After the cheap-heel win the 3rd bout was wholly unnecessary: move Malakai into a feud with Sammy G, or a holding-pattern immovable object meets unstoppable force feud with Miro and explore the quasi-cult/religious connotations there, and do Cody’s “redemption” angle (if they have to) independently. Instead, as mentioned above, not only Black but also Andrade (who is a terrible pairing for Black given Andrade struggles to be heard coherently in English and Black does have a tendency to be muffled at times due to his accent) are not sucked into this vortex of lameness. It’s all so vacant.

• Like 1

I felt that Ruby/Ford was one of Ruby’s better showings in AEW so far (wonky Irish Whip aside) but the most noteworthy part of that match, that I’m surprised didn’t see mentioned amongst the Cody hoo-haa is professional doormat Richard motherfucking Knox laying down the law with the foreign object. How’s that for character development? Or maybe the Hardy faction didn’t pay him as much as he’s come to expect from the Bucks.

The Fish mauling and the Bryan/Dustin   match were a pleasure. Perceptive take on Bryan thinking he’s a good guy but basically acting like a heel and the crowd cheering him like crazy so he’s so damn good.

Yes I’ve taken delight in throwing pot shots at Cody’s pomp and jingoistic crap, but the Reign of Terror comparisons are a bit much. Also what’s been omitted is the drama and storytelling that Cody brought vs Aldis at All In (the emotional heart of a show that had some pretty goofy shit) and vs Dustin at DoN 2019 (MOTY candidate). Move him on, have him ‘do the work’ without all this extracurricular stuff, wrestling week in, week out in the AEW-Verse then re-assess.

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Twice a decade. It probably doesn't help that I'm not sure any of us can actually name Andrade's goon anyway.

He did it in 2017 to Ziggler at that Starrcade event, too. Might be time to just admit that Arn busting it out these days isn’t quite as shocking as when he did it to Undertaker in 2002.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Custos said:

I felt that Ruby/Ford was one of Ruby’s better showings in AEW so far (wonky Irish Whip aside) but the most noteworthy part of that match, that I’m surprised didn’t see mentioned amongst the Cody hoo-haa is professional doormat Richard motherfucking Knox laying down the law with the foreign object. How’s that for character development? Or maybe the Hardy faction didn’t pay him as much as he’s come to expect from the Bucks.

The Fish mauling and the Bryan/Dustin   match were a pleasure. Perceptive take on Bryan thinking he’s a good guy but basically acting like a heel and the crowd cheering him like crazy so he’s so damn good.

Yes I’ve taken delight in throwing pot shots at Cody’s pomp and jingoistic crap, but the Reign of Terror comparisons are a bit much. Also what’s been omitted is the drama and storytelling that Cody brought vs Aldis at All In (the emotional heart of a show that had some pretty goofy shit) and vs Dustin at DoN 2019 (MOTY candidate). Move him on, have him ‘do the work’ without all this extracurricular stuff, wrestling week in, week out in the AEW-Verse then re-assess.

Cody's current character has become terribly stale, and he really needs a character refresh at this point. However, he was really good for most of the first-year plus in AEW, and you have to balance the rough 2021 with the mostly excellent 2019 and 2020.

Also, despite what the self-proclaimed millionaire protests, Malakai Black is fine long-term in AEW and still plenty over with the crowd. I'm interesting to see how a partnership with Andrade works, but think that be in the semi-main event/main event picture for awhile.

Edited by Big Z
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Also, despite what the self-proclaimed millionaire protests, Malakai Black is fine long-term in AEW and still plenty over with the crowd. I'm interesting to see how a partnership with Andrade works, but think that be in the semi-main event/main event picture for awhile.

He never said self-made. He might be a trust fund baby, or a lottery winner.

49 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Cody's current character has become terribly stale, and he really needs a character refresh at this point. However, he was really good for most of the first-year plus in AEW, and you have to balance the rough 2021 with the mostly excellent 2019 and 2020.

Cody is the Poochie of AEW. He kamikaze'ed his whole character with that awful promo.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Cody is the Poochie of AEW. He kamikaze'ed his whole character with that awful promo.

Hand to God, if he cut a promo where he said his planet needed him and was lifted into the rafters on a harness, and then came back in three months not looking and acting like a desperate social media influencer, he’d be more over than he’s ever been.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

14 hours ago, A_K said:

Anyone who thinks Cody Rhodes does not have an element of creative control lives in cloud cuckoo land. What a deadbeat parasite that guy is. A poor man’s Jeff Jarrett. 

I've seen this comment a bunch. Did anyone that says it even watch TNA? So Cody, by putting over Black big twice in a row then winning the third is exactly like Jarrett in what way? Jarrett would always book himself to win because he was the owner & booker, and thought he was the only guy he could really trust. Cody lost his only title shot and put the stip in that he can never challenge for it again. How exactly is that Jeff Jarrett like? Where is the Monty Brown home grown guy that Cody won't put over? He put over Brodie. He put over Darby. He put over fucking QT. He put over Black. Twice.

Most everyone's take on the Cody-verse is valid. It's been pretty bad for awhile now. ESPECIALLY the rah-rah pro USA promos. But yall calling him Jeff Jarrett are really showing your ass.

Just a quick note to fans attending the shows. You pay your money, so do what you want. But you know the more you boo him and the louder it gets.... the more they are gonna put him on TV right? Big reactions (regardless of negative or positive) are the end goal of a wrestling show. Have fun booing your heads off. Just hope you aren't doing it because you think it'll get you less Cody lol.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I've seen this comment a bunch. Did anyone that says it even watch TNA? So Cody, by putting over Black big twice in a row then winning the third is exactly like Jarrett in what way? Jarrett would always book himself to win because he was the owner & booker, and thought he was the only guy he could really trust. Cody lost his only title shot and put the stip in that he can never challenge for it again. How exactly is that Jeff Jarrett like? Where is the Monty Brown home grown guy that Cody won't put over? He put over Brodie. He put over Darby. He put over fucking QT. He put over Black. Twice.

Most everyone's take on the Cody-verse is valid. It's been pretty bad for awhile now. ESPECIALLY the rah-rah pro USA promos. But yall calling him Jeff Jarrett are really showing your ass.

Just a quick note to fans attending the shows. You pay your money, so do what you want. But you know the more you boo him and the louder it gets.... the more they are gonna put him on TV right? Big reactions (regardless of negative or positive) are the end goal of a wrestling show. Have fun booing your heads off. Just hope you aren't doing it because you think it'll get you less Cody lol.

A stunning lack of awareness.