DVDVR Message Board

Saturday Dynamite - 10/23/2021

22 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Hatred of Cody has directly contributed into how over Malakai Black is. I'd say nobody is struggling to invest in his stories. 

That's subjective, I'd say. If the intrigue is more in what the finish is from a booking aspect ("Is Cody really gonna go over here?") vs. an outright story aspect ("I am excited to see what happens next") I don't know that it's necessarily successful. I don't begrudge your enjoyment, but I just think it's ineffective. We know what Cody's strengths are, and he's very begrudgingly not playing to them

Edit: Let me clarify: by "successful" I mean for Cody, and what he's trying to do here. No argument on your Malekai point

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Jamal said:

Good stuff from Ruby and Penelope and nice set up for Bunny/Velvet. 

Didn't expect Britt/Tay to become Battle of the Asses but I'll take it. Both have come such a long way and I expect a great match.

Tay is Brazillan.  Britt offers her no competition.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

If the intrigue is more in what the finish is from a booking aspect ("Is Cody really gonna go over here?") vs. an outright story aspect ("I am excited to see what happens next") I don't know that it's necessarily successful. 

In a modern environment where the audience knows everything, the former is a useful tool. It shouldn't colour every aspect of the show, but it has a place to be emotionally potent. And it's especially useful that the person who gets to use that tool isn't eligible to hold the company's top title. There's zero risk of him being the centerpiece of the promotion and running people off in that way, so the heat stays firmly on him and away from the promotion and booker. 

If you want excitement about "what happens next" from an "outright story aspect," this company already provides plenty of that. The virtues of variety are so often championed with regards to wrestling shows. If it really is such a virtue, some people should be more open to the idea that What You Want isn't what you want all the time. This company exists in the way it does largely in part because of heated fan resentment opening up a space. Tony Khan understands that the spiritual resentment of wrestling fans is a powerful tool, and he and the guy who drove John Cena around for a year know how to wield it. There is room in this company to play in that space and see what comes of it.

Forget what you think Cody's strengths are. Trust the process. 

• Like 3

The entire world is a graveyard, and if you think this was about putting my shoulders on the mat; you’re rudely mistaken. My job was to destroy you and your world. The entire world hates you, you’ve become the beast I set out to make you, and I was willing to sacrifice my blood for it. Enjoy the seeds I planted for months. House always wins. #HouseOfBlack

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVakb17rIik/

WTF is this goof talking about?

Anyway, moving on. 

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Any Tony Nese match recommendations?

Versus Spanky in the Cruiserweight Classic tournament and I think last year against Jack Gallagher.

He's a totally serviceable opponent if he's in there with the right guys, it just never seemed to happen in WWE. 

His Premier Athlete gimmick is so generic and arrogant in the sport of pro-wrestling that it really works for him. I hope he's All Elite ... i mean, if L.A. Park is stuck somewhere else...

as for last night, i didn't think Danielson/Dustin was MOTY but it was really good. Dustin reaching the ropes during the LeBelle Lock is one of very few times I've been happy to see a rope break in recent years.

Edited by Horatio
  • Like 1

There was no reason to book a third match with Cody and Black last night. Cody's storyline is going nowhere. It's clear he has creative control and Tony Khan isn't telling him no. He is the Triple H/Jeff Jarrett of AEW this point, but his work and heat are borderline X-Pac. in 2000-2002.

All because of his stupid reality show. AEW was the company where they weren't supposed to do stupid shit like this.

• Like 1

Backing up a bit (and side eyeing all the Cody discourse) last week on the Bryan and Vinnie show recap, Vinnie said something about how "I'm convinced Bryan Danielson's gimmick is that he's an actually a heel but he's so fucking great everybody cheers for him" and I'm definitely starting to come to that viewpoint as well. Heel hooks and the kicking heads the fuck in and sometimes doing the "I have until 5 referee" bit... But he's so fucking great.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Backing up a bit (and side eyeing all the Cody discourse) last week on the Bryan and Vinnie show recap, Vinnie said something about how "I'm convinced Bryan Danielson's gimmick is that he's an actually a heel but he's so fucking great everybody cheers for him" and I'm definitely starting to come to that viewpoint as well. Heel hooks and the kicking heads the fuck in and sometimes doing the "I have until 5 referee" bit... But he's so fucking great.

Yep, I think this was on full view last night.  It felt like Dustin went in expect a face/face "We respect each other" kinda match but Danielson is too much of a spicy boi for that so Dustin had to go full shitkicker.  

Also did Schiavone give us the first "fuck" from the commentary team, just after the mic caught Dustin calling Danielson a "motherfucker"?

I didn't have a huge problem with the booking in the main event.  It took the intercession of the Nightmare Family, a cross rhodes through a table, and a TD98 to put Black away so I don't think it really hurts him.  Not really in to whatever Black/Andrade teamup they're trying to do and it really smacks of not knowing what do with Andrade.

I mean yeah, TK is also to blame for not reading the tea leaves and realizing that not only Cody winning, but Cody no selling Black's finisher was fucking dumb.

I had hoped that Black was escaping the Rhodes Booking Vortex, but now that vortex has also sucked in Pac and Andrade.

Not good, Bob. 

• Like 2

The crowd taking a dump on everything related to babyface Cody, and cheering his very obvious heel opponents: we sleep

The crowd taking a dump on the Dark Order/Elite schmozz at the end of 2019, and Tony taking control of the booking: real shit?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s gotten lost in the other stuff on this show, but that was the best promo I've heard from Moxley in forever. I’m glad he’s still got it in him when he feels like it because when I saw his FCW work I thought he was going to end up being one of the best talkers in the business.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of promos, I really dug Omega's promo on Hangman last night. I always see this narrative, some people here and then other places like Wreddit, that Omega can't talk, but he clearly can. His cadence is a little B movie villain sometimes, but that's been his style going back to the early Cleaner days.

• Like 4

Hmm.

I'm not sure where I fall on the Cody stuff. It was booked like a blowoff, bringing in all of the elements so far. The Nightmare Family stopped Black from using weapons. Arn hit his spinebuster and used up Black's mist. Cody ate the kick but was in the ropes. Then he had a hulk up after dodging the dive. He hit the Cross Rhodes basically three times including through a table. Then he used a super finisher with the double underhook piledriver. It should have worked. It should have felt like redemption, like Cody accepting Arn's advice and the help of his "family" and all of Black's tricks and games countered leading to a comeuppance, and one final gutcheck with the tope.

And the fans wanted nothing to do with it.

So where does that leave us?

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Dog said:

There is no defensible reason to skip on Buddy Murphy and then pick up Tony Nese.

And I like Nese.

I can't believe the price tags were THAT different.

We also don't know if Buddy wanted to work NJPW more than an American promotion. I know a lot of others were saying that he could work AEW and still do runs with NJPW, but that's not as easy and Japan is at least closer to where he's from. NJPW always seemed like the best destination for Buddy. Plus, if you're Buddy, would you want to work AEW and possibly get lost in the shuffle with other new signings and be in a promotion where they already have two small-ish, but hugely muscle bound workers that can fly around the ring? At least in NJPW he'll stand out and likely either be an immediate challenger for the US title, the light heavyweight championship, or even the NEVER championship. He'll be the hot new hired gun for either United Empire or maybe even LIJ.

Now watch, they'll stick him in Bullet Club.

3 hours ago, Horatio said:

Versus Spanky in the Cruiserweight Classic tournament and I think last year against Jack Gallagher.

He's a totally serviceable opponent if he's in there with the right guys, it just never seemed to happen in WWE. 

Thanks for the tips on Tony Nese.  Seeing ppl pile shit on Nese because of how he was portrayed in WWE fuels my interest in seeing him succeed.  I gotta assume these same WWE viewers would have told me 2.0 are worthless too.  So too Tay Conti.  And Spears.  Even this incredible perfomer named Adam Cole.  Or how bout that first couple months of Miro.  Etc. etc.  Anybody remember the bitching and moaning the late great Brodie Lee got during his first month or so?  It's a bit baffling how everyone here knows WWE completely wastes the majority of their talent, yet use how said wrestler was portrayed if it's somebody they wanna bury.