DVDVR Message Board

Saturday Dynamite - 10/23/2021

1 minute ago, eikerir said:

Oh shit I hope Archer is OK, that looked absolutely brutal and the improvised ending gave me strong Summerslam 97 vibes.

Also, was I the only one thinking that Cody was going for a Pedigree there at the end?

I 100% thought he was going to pedigree him and that would be the beginning of his heel turn.

Kind of think Black’s first loss should have come on a bigger stage than a random Saturday Dynamite.

But still this was a good match and a good show.

I hope the Archer thing was some kind of angle and not a serious injury, that was very awkward ending though.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I hope the Archer thing was some kind of angle and not a serious injury, that was very awkward ending though.

He landed on his head, man. The wrestling business over the last 25 years has rotted our collective brains. ?

Could somebody please post the Danielson/Kingston segment when it's online? Apparently Danielson let him have it. 

Danielson cut a great promo on Kingston during the Rhodes to the Top break. Go check it out if you missed it. Danielson/Rhodes was as great as expected. I liked the mix of old school psychology and modern indy style wrestling. Dustin really put it into overdrive for this one. Rest of the show? Not so great.

Damn. Lot of wrong decisions on this show. Superklique gets to make Jungle Boy look like a chump again, because them showing any ass at all would be too tall an order. Cody going over on Malakai seems stupid, too, but at least Malakai ate like 3 shotgun blasts first. 

I liked the women’s match, and both men’s tourney matches were bangers. It’s just sad that the evp’s are allowed to cast such an insane shadow over everything else that happens on a weekly basis.

That Dustin/Danielson match. Proved that not all AEW matches have to be mega-sprints with BIG POP Moves every twenty seconds to be ****+ material.

Kinda disappointed that Britt went to the "shakes her ass" thing. That's something I'd expect the other company to do.

Man, I really wish Roddy Piper was still around to guide MJF a bit. He's good at delivering the Home Run "He said WHAT???" moment, but it's like Home Run Derby. Going down the Luger line was something that should've led to weeks of back and forth, instead, it'll be forgotten as MJF continually ups the ante. Piper knew that you had to hit the singles to turn the Homers into grand slams, things that would really make you BURN for the face to get payback (I think I've stretched that metaphor as far as it can go).

Omega with a good heel justification of the Hangman thing. Is the Dark Order going to cosplay as the Elite next week?

CM Punk vs Bobby Fish? Put me down for.. say.. 16-18 minutes of that, and I'll be a happy man.

edit: Oh, please tell me that Sammy's going to chose Masvidal, Dos Santos, and... Dan Lambert

Edited by SirFozzie

21 minutes ago, eikerir said:

Oh shit I hope Archer is OK, that looked absolutely brutal and the improvised ending gave me strong Summerslam 97 vibes.

Also, I couldn’t be the only one thinking that Cody was teasing a Pedigree there at the end, right?

My initial thought seeing Archer land on his head was Hayabusa, so I was relieved to see him able to roll out of the ring and stand up.

You weren't the only one expecting Cody to use the Pedigree at the end, as I totally expected it. 

6 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Am I the only asshole who didn't think Archer landed all that badly and felt it was an angle???!? Very confused right now...

Dude, he's a giant guy that spiked himself square on his head. Not an angle. That looked Austin at Summerslam levels of bad. 

11 minutes ago, just drew said:

Damn. Lot of wrong decisions on this show. Superklique gets to make Jungle Boy look like a chump again, because them showing any ass at all would be too tall an order. Cody going over on Malakai seems stupid, too, but at least Malakai ate like 3 shotgun blasts first. 

I liked the women’s match, and both men’s tourney matches were bangers. It’s just sad that the evp’s are allowed to cast such an insane shadow over everything else that happens on a weekly basis.

I thought this was the most comfortable and the best Jungle Boy promo has ever cut. It was short but it was progress which is good.

I don’t think he looked like a chump, he challenged any of the heels to a match, one of the heels pretended to accept and the others sneak attacked from behind. That’s pretty standard pro wrestling booking.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, christopher.annino said:

Who are you?

He's Batman!

(no, he's not, but I always wanted to work that shtick at least once)

But yeah, I think you're in the vast minority here, it's pretty difficult to fake a spot like that (and in incredibly bad taste considering the Baldwin happenings earlier this week)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Craig H said:

Dude, he's a giant guy that spiked himself square on his head. Not an angle. That looked Austin at Summerslam levels of bad. 

I'll have to rewatch it, I was looking at how he potentially protected himself with his arms on the replay. Kingston's quick booking it out of the ring threw me off too. 

I don't really know how I feel about Cody winning. Actually...it's pretty rotten. He took the black mass and seconds later hits a Cross Rhodes and a Tiger Driver. Like... come on man.

• Like 1

Obviously real, it's bizarre that anyone thinks the Archer stuff was an angle.

One thing I'd prefer they not do for things like that though is to roll back into the ring to finish the match. When you go straight to the finish after something like that, it's just so anti-climactic and highlights the fakeness (I'm thinking of that David Arquette incident where he gets his neck sliced open, gets out of the ring, gets back in to eat the pin, and immediately gets back out again). I'd prefer if the ref just called the match there and then acknowledging that it's a real injury and the guy forfeits.

7 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

But yeah, I think you're in the vast minority here, it's pretty difficult to fake a spot like that (and in incredibly bad taste considering the Baldwin happenings earlier this week)

Damn, I truly thought it was an angle with how it played out and the fact that they didn't bring it up again/shot an angle later with Eddie and Bryan. Thankfully it seems like Archer is one tough motherfucker, on top of being a really good dude. 

I'll also throw in that, it you rewatch it, before Lance goes up to the top, Eddie is very much not in place and at least to me it seemed to telegraph Lance was missing the move. That tainted my view, I suppose ☹️

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 1

I would have been better with Cody/Malakai III's ending being after the tiger driver, instead of the pinfall, Cody grabs a chair and dishes out a couple whacks, and then either gets the pin, or just stops and realizes he's crossed a line, and walks away to get his head straight, and the camera pans to Black in the ring, pulling himself up painfully slowly up the ropes, laughing at what he's made Cody do.

Still a good match, but it seemed.. jarring with the story being told throughout.

I’m out on the Codyverse. Coach TK my man, I get this is supposed to be some sort of meta high art thing where I, as the mark, get mad at Cody (the dude? The character?) because he continues to play babyface regardless of the reaction, because Cody is above you telling him to fix his shit creative. But, dude, you’re the boss and it isn’t working - so like, in real life, tell him to fix his shit creative.

Its so off brand for AEW. Just stop.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Thanks 3