DVDVR Message Board

Survivor Series XXXV - 11/21/2021

Dolfan in NYC

5 hours ago, Shartnado said:

I feel as if the concept peaked in the 80's. Had Windham and Tully made it to their respective matches, then the '89 Series could have been the pinnacle. 1991 could have been more than it was if Sid wasn't injured OR Savage and Jake weren't removed from the match Sid was supposed to be in.

The 1990 version is memorable for a few reasons, but the Ultimate Survivor match ultimately (pun intended) ended up messing a few matches up, as far as more logical or at least satisfying booking, as far as endings go.

The way they tried to keep Slaughter strong for Warrior and Hogan but not have him get in the ring with them was something.

29 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

The way they tried to keep Slaughter strong for Warrior and Hogan but not have him get in the ring with them was something.

It seems like the match of survival was a big missed opportunity.  You could have had Slaughter go over in his match and Bret go over Dibiase in his, then in the finale you have Hogan/Warrior/Bret vs. Slaughter and the Visionaries.  After a heel or two is eliminated, have some kind of schmoz where Hogan, Warrior and Slaughter are all DQed. Now Bret is down 2 vs 1 or 3 vs 1 but gets the underdog babyface push and becomes the ultimate survivor.  This way you setup your next two PPV main events and give a big push to a guy who's poised to get a big singles IC run in a few months.  Instead it was just another way to have Hogan and Warrior go over the entire roster.

Seeing on Twitter via Fightful/SRS that as of this afternoon (subject to change at the whims of those in charge), Roman vs. Big E was supposed to open the main card and Becky vs. Charlotte was supposed to main event.  Surprising.

Whoever booked the women's SS match deserves to to be slapped.

What I caught of the men's match was ok if a bit uninspired. 

Really dug the last 7-8 minutes of Roman/E. The stuff before failed to grab me. Wonder if Roman was supposed to hit his usual standing uranage or an actual Rock Bottom. He seemed to be halfway between the two, probably due to Big E's size.

Charlotte/Becky had a flat ending but was otherwise fantastic. Was great seeing the two just try beat the hell out of each other and win. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Whoever booked the women's SS match deserves to to be slapped.

What I caught of the men's match was ok if a bit uninspired. 

Really dug the last 7-8 minutes of Roman/E. The stuff before failed to grab me. Wonder if Roman was supposed to hit his usual standing uranage or an actual Rock Bottom. He seemed to be halfway between the two, probably due to Big E's size.

Charlotte/Becky had a flat ending but was otherwise fantastic. Was great seeing the two just try beat the hell out of each other and win. 

The agents involved sometimes comes out in the news/social media.

That women's match was something.  Crowd craps on the match as they do the wave..   Then Sasha and Bianca get the place going crazy.  Then they have the very strange count out of Sasha.  Lots of sloppy timing issues.  Finally Bianca wins but the match falls flat because everyone wanted the Sasha vs. Bianca one on one to close it out.  

Roman vs. Big E was a tremendous hoss battle.  

They leaned way into The Rock appearing and teased it heavy and then...  he didn't.   We have a whodunit about Vince's Golden Egg.  Lol.

So yeah..  about Full Gear... 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

Despite the tepid buildup this was a solid show.

Nak/Priest and the Tag champions match were both fine, though I was surprised RKBro won.

The men's SS match isn't going to go in the record books or anything but was decent. This and the women's match had way too much bickering between teammates. Speaking of the women's match, it fell way too flat in way too many places on account of the awkward timing and elimination decisions. Toni Storm looked strong in the time she got and Bianca coming from behind somehow still felt anticlimactic.

Regardless of how legit the beef going into the Becky/Charlotte match they both did a good job whaling on eachother and having a great match until the lame finish. It's expected they didn't want either person going over clean but I thought it was a bit of a letdown.

Roman/Big E delivered as expected.

I had it on on mute in the background.  Can't say I paid a whole lot of attention.  The crowd didn't look to be super into the show, and didn't sound it the times I unmuted.  I feel bad for the wrestlers.

Survivor Series was a childhood favorite but nostalgia can only get me so far

My theory is Vince stopped caring as soon as stopped screaming SURVIIIIIVOR SERIIIIIES every year. 

Maybe the golden egg is like his Survivor Series urn and someone stole it to harness the power to book a better show next year

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yeah, that was definitely one, and having Bret actually pull off the upset over Dibiase would have been the other.