DVDVR Message Board

Survivor Series XXXV - 11/21/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Survivor Series already has a hook, the 5 on 5 matches. It doesn't need brand vs brand shit. Do a full show of the elimination matches like it used to be. Let teams be intermingled between brands. You know, tell stories with them. They're always looking for hooks to separate and make the PPVs stand out from each other. Use the Champion vs Champions hook for Night of Champions or something. Make that PPV stand out. Especially with the draft 4 weeks before this PPV every year it makes zero sense for anyone to have brand loyalty. For fuck's sake the same people run both shows on screen. Just so fucking lame.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Survivor Series already has a hook, the 5 on 5 matches. It doesn't need brand vs brand shit. Do a full show of the elimination matches like it used to be. Let teams be intermingled between brands. You know, tell stories with them. They're always looking for hooks to separate and make the PPVs stand out from each other. Use the Champion vs Champions hook for Night of Champions or something. Make that PPV stand out. Especially with the draft 4 weeks before this PPV every year it makes zero sense for anyone to have brand loyalty. For fuck's sake the same people run both shows on screen. Just so fucking lame.

When I was a kid (and we're talking 1990 here. Survivor Series 1990), WWF was so calcified that people would be in the same programs for half a year. You'd never see random tags and rarely random matches. Survivor Series and the Rumble were the two times every year that you could see wrestlers who didn't usually interact with one another do so. Now all of that's gone since people interact with one another all the time and the hook of it being about brands interacting and artificially forcing that doesn't work well with "Super" shows and frequent brand moves, not to mention rosters that have been around forever.

Even fifteen years ago, the idea of CM Punk from ECW interacting with the Hardys and DX felt like a unique deal that couldn't happen anywhere else.

I still like that, though. One thing I enjoy in AEW are these random 6 and 8 man matches. It's fun to have two members of Best Friends team with two members of the Dark Order, or all of these crazy trios we've gotten lately in the women's division. Wrestling is great, but I want to see how characters interact with one another too. That's part of the appeal.

Just not in WWE.

• Like 6

Survivor Series up through the mid 90s were always my favorite videos for rent because of the elimination matches. I always enjoyed the combinations of guys pitted against eachother and like the Rumble it was a chance to see guys mix it up who normally didn't. Then there were always the possibilities of someone coming from behind the odds or a midcard guy getting a surprisingly good showing against upper card guys.

5 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

All of this. The "brand loyalty" business is asinine in the first place and as has been mentioned it makes even less sense with the brand split being a few weeks ago and the same people in charge of each show. Either do it like it was in the past with having an elimination match from each brand working the existing feuds into it. Or name four men and two women captains and let them recruit a team from any of the brands.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Wonder if there has been a bigger match between 2 people who are disliked to the fans like Charlotte vs Becky.   Although Becky isn't as hated even though she is a heel. 

Goldberg vs Brock at WM20 comes to mind.

Plus, I don’t think people are holding Becky’s booking against her?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Wonder if there has been a bigger match between 2 people who are disliked to the fans like Charlotte vs Becky.   Although Becky isn't as hated even though she is a heel. 

In character or IRL? 

Sheamus is the 5th man of the SD team. 

25 man dual brand battle royal booked, to celebrate the Rock.

Survivor-Series-Battle-Royal.jpg?q=50&fi

Seems they don't want to do much of that Raw vs SD brand war stuff anymore on tv, that stuff would only make sense if the brands rosters were mostly locked in for 3 to 5 years.

My guess is that there's some grains of truth to the Becky/Charlotte stuff, maybe they have had a legit falling out or at least have drifted apart. But I also 1000% believe it's mostly them trying the old "everything is worked but we really dislike each other and it might end up being real" trick.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

I wonder who held the most PPV matches record prior to this? Kane? Cena?

It looks like Kane

Supposedly one place has Kane and Orton at 176. Cagematch says Orton only has 175 PPV matches (There is also a discrepancy between Kane and Orton total matches too)

Either way he will be the true holder soon but they can use it as a talking point this weekend without too much fudging

EDIT: Going by the Internet Wrestling Database  (which has Orton and Kane tied) the rest of the Top 5 is

Taker - 174

Triple - 173

Cena - 163

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It looks like Kane

Supposedly one place has Kane and Orton at 176. Cagematch says Orton only has 175 PPV matches (There is also a discrepancy between Kane and Orton total matches too)

Either way he will be the true holder soon but they can use it as a talking point this weekend without too much fudging

EDIT: Going by the Internet Wrestling Database  (which has Orton and Kane tied) the rest of the Top 5 is

Taker - 174

Triple - 173

Cena - 163

Yeah, I figured that Taker and by the same token HHH had to be up there, but they were so infrequent at the end stretch that someone like Kane may have surpassed them. Cena was missing every now and again due to injuries, but then the acting came, so #5 will be his ceiling for now.

...also, wouldn't this in all probability make Orton the current holder of "Most chinlocks on a PPV" record as well?

Edited by Shartnado
Another record, Randy?

Survivor Series has always sucked.  People just thought it was important because it was one of the original four PPVs.  The only redeeming quality has been the bizarre teams of jacked to the gills geeked-out of their gourds maniacs, warriors, giants, birdmen, hillbillies, and snakemen gathering together to do promos for that one special time of year when they can all unite in their shared interests of SURVIVAL and COCAINE!

TEAMS OF FIVE STRIVE TO SURVIVE!  CRANK UP THE 'COCK AND CRANK UP THE SAX!!  IT'S TIME FOR THE SURVIVOR SERIES!!![/COKED-UP VINCE]

https://youtu.be/f9FR3obcdLA

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, BEN! said:

Survivor Series has always sucked.  People just thought it was important because it was one of the original four PPVs. 

I disagree. Especially if you are the kind of fan who cares about workrate, Survivor Series used to have almost without question the highest consistent levels of guys going all out, because they could tag and catch their breath after a couple of minutes, as opposed to most 80's and 90's WWF ppvs full of really slow, plodding matches and rest holds.

• Like 1

I'm really struggling to think of any memorable Survivor Series tags of the last 20 years. The Team Cena vs Authority one with the big Ziggler run at the ending and Sting's debut comes to mind. Maybe that one with the Shield that had Roman tearing through people. Drawing a blank after that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I disagree. Especially if you are the kind of fan who cares about workrate, Survivor Series used to have almost without question the highest consistent levels of guys going all out, because they could tag and catch their breath after a couple of minutes, as opposed to most 80's and 90's WWF ppvs full of really slow, plodding matches and rest holds.

I feel as if the concept peaked in the 80's. Had Windham and Tully made it to their respective matches, then the '89 Series could have been the pinnacle. 1991 could have been more than it was if Sid wasn't injured OR Savage and Jake weren't removed from the match Sid was supposed to be in.

The 1990 version is memorable for a few reasons, but the Ultimate Survivor match ultimately (pun intended) ended up messing a few matches up, as far as more logical or at least satisfying booking, as far as endings go.

On 11/19/2021 at 9:06 PM, D.Z said:

Sheamus is the 5th man of the SD team. 

25 man dual brand battle royal booked, to celebrate the Rock.

Survivor-Series-Battle-Royal.jpg?q=50&fi

Seems they don't want to do much of that Raw vs SD brand war stuff anymore on tv, that stuff would only make sense if the brands rosters were mostly locked in for 3 to 5 years.

Over / under on how many of these guys get released in the next six months?

The problem with the Raw vs Smackdown is it's the same thing every year.  Heels and faces teaming together so there's always infighting.  If they insist on doing the Raw vs Smackdown stuff, they should do two matches for the men and two for the women.  Do Raw heels vs Smackdown faces and Raw faces vs Smackdown heels.  Then you can have the two teams from the same show competing for bragging rights against each other.

4 hours ago, killsteve said:

I'm really struggling to think of any memorable Survivor Series tags of the last 20 years. The Team Cena vs Authority one with the big Ziggler run at the ending and Sting's debut comes to mind. Maybe that one with the Shield that had Roman tearing through people. Drawing a blank after that.

Team WWF vs. Team Alliance, Survivor Series 2001.

Team Bischoff vs. Team Austin, Survivor Series 2003.

The Shield/The Real Americans vs. Rey Mysterio/Cody Rhodes/Goldust/The Usos. Survivor Series 2013.

Team Cena vs. Team Authority. Survivor Series 2014.

AJ Styles/Dean Ambrose/Randy Orton/Bray Wyatt/Shane McMahon vs. Roman Reigns/Chris Jericho/Kevin Owens/Braun Strowman/Seth Rollins. Survivor Series 2016.

Roman Reigns/Braun Strowman/Mustafa Ali/Shorty G/Baron Corbin vs. Seth Rollins/Drew McIntyre/Kevin Owens/Randy Orton/Ricochet vs. WALTER/Tommaso Ciampa/Keith Lee/Matt Riddle/Damian Priest. Survivor Series 2019.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1