DVDVR Message Board

Survivor Series XXXV - 11/21/2021

Dolfan in NYC

The lack of stakes is maddening. Why would anyone in the world care if Raw or Smackdown wins. Just make it so the winning side gets #30 in the Rumble and find some way to have the winning team compete for it (best way would be a Round Robin tournament that would take up big chunks of your December TV). This isn't rocket science. Instead they just do nothing. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

The lack of stakes is maddening. Why would anyone in the world care if Raw or Smackdown wins. Just make it so the winning side gets #30 in the Rumble and find some way to have the winning team compete for it (best way would be a Round Robin tournament that would take up big chunks of your December TV). This isn't rocket science. Instead they just do nothing. 

The way you do it is you move Elimination Chamber to Dec - have the Winning Team and a wild card entry or some sorts compete in that for #30

It would make the planning for Mania easier as opposed to not being able to fully start to build for Mania till post EC

• Thanks 2

The 'Big 4' should feed into each other:

Winner of the Rumble gets a shot at Mania.

Winner of the Mania Battle Royal gets a shot at SummerSlam.

King of the Ring finals at SummerSlam. Winner gets a shot at Survivor Series.

Survivor Series has TWO elimination matches to help get more people in the title hunt. Survivors on the winning team go into a Battle Royal/Ladder Match on a hyped up Raw/SDL (whichever team won) & the winner gets a title match at the Rumble.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The way you do it is you move Elimination Chamber to Dec - have the Winning Team and a wild card entry or some sorts compete in that for #30

It would make the planning for Mania easier as opposed to not being able to fully start to build for Mania till post EC

Love this idea. Can do it with the men and the women. Would really add some structure to Nov / Dec / Jan all flowing into each other with a purpose.

I mean they (almost) always make the authority figures go heel eventually.  Deville is there, Pearce being pushed to the dark side because he lost a bet on Raw would work.  

Of course, I don't think he's cleared to take bumps, so then he just becomes Male Stephanie. 

Woods clearly lurks on the board

(His proposal is the winning Survivor Series team has an elimination match to determine the last 5 spots of the Royal Rumble (26-30) while the losing team does the same but it is for the first 5 spots (1-5))

• Like 3

Also, why the hell was the draft right before Survivor Series? How am I supposed to believe anyone that just got moved has loyalty to their new brand?

Hell, have the winner of the overall show get the first pick in the draft instead. If RAW wins four matches and Smackdown wins three, RAW gets first pick.

Or, even better... Drop the fucking head to head thing since they clearly don't care enough to put any effort into it anyway. Let's have guys who are actually in programs with each other get thrown into teams of 5 and then they can, I don't know, strive up survive?

Then you can also save potential one on one matches for some later date when you can make it matter. It's not like they are actively trying to sell each ppv anymore, you don't need Reigns/E on this show, you can save it for down the road when you run out of opponents for Roman.

• Like 3

I got tickets for Survivor Series, but I'm starting to regret that purchase. For a Big Four PPV the lack of thought put into this show is pretty damn amazing. I mean how hard could it be just to book a bunch of 8 man tags and a couple of title matches.

Becky Lynch on her and Charlotte Flair. Friends no more. In spoiler tags for size. Worth reading. People will be keeping a close eye on their Survivor Series match:

Spoiler

"We don't like each other."

That's how Becky Lynch describes her relationship with Charlotte Flair. 

In an interview on today's MMA Hour, Lynch spoke at length regarding her former friendship with Flair, the title swap segment on WWE SmackDown that led to a backstage argument, the possibility that things could go awry in their match at Survivor Series on Sunday, and the importance of trust in the professional wrestling business. 

With regard to their friendship turning sour, Lynch pinpointed her ascent to WWE stardom as the genesis of the personal issues between herself and Flair. 

"I'm sure she would give you a different side, and I'll give you my side," Lynch said.  

"My star was rising, we were the best of friends and it all worked when she was on top and I was below. And we could all see the way things were going in 2019. Like, people were really behind me, really rallying behind me, and this turn would turn me into a different league, and I don't think, she couldn't take that, and has never been able to take it since," said Lynch. 

Lynch went on to say that her surpassing Flair's level of fame has had a negative impact on Flair's career. 

"And I think it's affected her work. Even now, I think it's affected her," said Lynch. 

"I think she's potentially one of the greatest, but I think I'm so in her head that she's lost it a bit. I think she's lost a step because she's got that jealousy and she's got that little devil on her shoulder, and that devil is me always being one step ahead of her, and she doesn't like it."

"I think she thought her birthright is she's the star," Lynch continued. "Doesn't matter that I started wrestling when I was 15 and left home and traveled the world to chase this dream, doesn't matter that I was never one of the chosen ones. She was born into this and she deserves it. WrestleMania main events should be hers by birthright. I think that's her thinking. I think we know where she gets that thinking from."

Lynch stated that Flair's response to the WWE crowd chanting for Lynch during a promo segment this past summer revealed Flair's true feelings. 

"She gave the crowd the finger, and she said it was because they were disrespecting Rhea [Ripley]. She doesn't care about Rhea, she cares about herself. That was her own ego," Lynch said. 

Lynch also balked at Flair's assertion in a BT Sport interview that Flair has received pushback for standing up for herself because of her gender.

"You can't say it's because I'm a woman. No, it's because you're an assh*le," said Lynch.

Lynch went into great detail regarding the backstage argument that broke out after the Lynch-Flair title swap segment on SmackDown on October 22. 

"There was a plan in place that was supposed to go one way, and if it went one way, then everyone would have had a moment and it would have been great. I, in the back, said 'This isn't going to happen. She's going to do something else,' and she did exactly what I said she was gonna do," said Lynch. 

"I told people beforehand she was going to make it really hard to do this angle, and it happened. There was no need for it. Because at the end of the day, it wasn't about me. It was about Sasha [Banks] and her getting into something."

"Sometimes things can happen out there and people can get carried away in the moment, and you don't have time to process what happens," said Lynch. "But when I knew that she was going to purposely disrespect me, I processed it a lot quicker. And so, I was able to hold it together until I got backstage. I did what I was supposed to do. And then when I got backstage, I lost it a little bit. I lost it. I just lost it."

"I had to go out and do the dark match right after. So I verbally lost it. I still had a match to do, so I didn't have time to be scrapping in the back... people were talked to. But at the end of the day, I was right. I was right," Lynch said. 

Lynch also spoke at length about the importance of being able to trust the people that you perform with in wrestling.

"What we do is extremely dangerous. And we're trusting somebody with our lives. And obviously this segment wasn't trusting somebody with our lives, but it's the meaning behind it. And it's happened with other things. And when it happens to other people, maybe they can't say something. But I can say something. I'm not scared," said Lynch. 

We need to go out there and be able to trust each other, because that's what this is. We need to be able to trust that one person is able to do what they say they're going to do. 

"It's professional wrestling, and it's a beautiful art that I love, and I love it more than anything. And I love it for what it is. It's telling stories through violence, essentially. And when somebody goes out and you can't trust them to do what we've agreed on doing, then what are we doing?" Lynch said. 

"Nobody just cares about themselves. They care about the segment, they care about how everybody else looks, and they work together. Nobody else does this. There's no other guy on the roster, there's no girl on the roster [that does this]. Everybody else, when you work with them, you know it's going to be easy."

Lynch was asked directly about the chances of things not going as planned at Survivor Series, or her match with Flair not being good because of the issues between them. 

"Yeah, of course there is. We kinda saw that a little bit of that with Charlotte and Nia [Jax] at one stage. When people don't work together, it can go badly, and it's not good. You're watching for the wrong reasons," said Lynch. 

"I also like money. And so, this is money. People are interested and I love that people are interested," Lynch said. 

"And I love that people don't know how this is going to go. I don't know how this is going to go. I don't know if this is going to be just an all-out brawl, I don't know if this is going to be just venom behind every move, I don't know if we're going to be able to even get to the match, I don't know if there's going to be a fight backstage, I don't know what's going to happen. I don't know, I don't know. And I think that's exciting for me and for the audience," said Lynch.

"Probably nerve-wracking for the office."

Spoiler

During an appearance on the Sports Illustrated Media Podcast, Becky Lynch addressed her real-life issues with Charlotte Flair and built up their match at Survivor Series.

Lynch and Charlotte got into a legitimate backstage confrontation following an awkward title exchange on SmackDown last month. While speaking on the Sports Illustrated Media Podcast, Lynch was asked about that confrontation with Charlotte.

"I don’t know, man. We don’t talk anymore. We don’t talk," Lynch said. "So all I’ll say is the locker room needs a hero sometimes. And sometimes somebody’s gotta be a hero. I’m all right being that hero. That’s what I’ll say on that matter."

Lynch, who is the Raw Women's Champion, is set to face off with SmackDown Women's Champion Charlotte in a non-title champion vs. champion match at Survivor Series on Sunday, November 21. In her interview with Sports Illustrated, Lynch was asked if having issues with someone in real life makes things more difficult when they face each other in a match.

“Oh, 100 percent more difficult," Lynch said. "Yeah, yeah, yeah. That’s the thing. When you’ve got two people that are wanting to work together to make magic, then you make magic. Sometimes when there’s hostility, when you can’t trust the person, then you never know what’s going to happen. You always have to be on guard. It’s like a game of chess. You have to be thinking two steps, three steps, four steps ahead. What are they gonna do? How am I gonna handle it? If they do this, if they do that, whatever.

“This business is built on trust. It's built on working together. That’s the art of it. That’s the beauty of it. If I make you look good, you make me look good. It's an art. It’s a beautiful art, it’s an art I love more than anything. If people don’t know how to make that art, then it becomes difficult. It becomes tricky and you never really get the full potential. But there’s intrigue there, too, because we never know, was this meant to happen? Was that not meant to happen? What’s gonna go down? There’s interest in both ways. One way, it’s the beautiful pure art of pro wrestling. The other way it's a bit of a sh*t show. So we’ll see what happens."

When asked if she trusts Charlotte, Lynch said no. Lynch said she and Charlotte used to be best friends, but things are difficult between them now.

Edited by The Natural

Christ, i just can't bring myself to care at all about this show. E vs Reigns was a potential wrestlemania headliner. Now it's thrown out on this PPV at a time when neither dude should be losing and the end result will be forgotten about five minutes after the show ends. 

Every person on this board can come up with better stakes and better ways to make this brand vs brand bullshit actually mean something while the "creative" department just throws shit out on Twitter, changes it later in the day, and then wonders why no one cares about these tag matches.

Those interviews with Becky about Charlotte are actually interesting. Kinda make me want to see the match. Why are they not cutting promos like this on television? Why are they not using the hours of footage they have of Becky and Charlotte to make this crap compelling? Again, literally every person on this board could put five minutes of thought and make a more compelling reason for this match to happen then we have seen on TV. I don't remember a time when I was more frustrated with the current product or cared less about a PPV

• Like 1

I can't decide how much of this Becky/Charlotte stuff is genuine. They are wrestling each other this weekend. So some of this does feel worked or exaggerated at least. Like the comments Charlotte Flair was making on BT Sport were clearly in character to me.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2

Honestly, nearly everything both have said in interviews comes across as character. I'm guessing they either already worked out whatever issues they had, or the title switch went as planned with the backstage confrontation being bs. 

Honestly, I'm not super angry at how poor the show has been built. The brand vs. brand stories just have little to offer at this point, and its actually been somewhat nice seeing them focus on building stories up within the brands themselves. Its not been great, but its been better the past 3-4 months. They really should have just let the brand vs. brand aspect die or whittle it down to a few matches while everyone else goes about their business. 

• Like 2