DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 10/22/2021

Dolfan in NYC

4 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

Very disapointed Abadon isn't in the TBS Title Tournament.

Ditto. 

They’ve certainly got enough other women on the roster - Abadon, Big Swole, Diamanté, Kiera Hogan, Emi Sakura, Riho, Leyla Hirsch. Would’ve been nice to see some of them included instead of doing the first round byes gimmick. 

• Like 2

Probably a timing issue. If it's true  that they can only have one Women's match per TV show, and after getting negative feedback for the previous Women's tournaments being on YouTube, they wanted the Tournament to last fewer weeks.

Will Hobbs is really good. It’s a bummer they had him lose another big match, especially to a guy whose gimmick I think is starting to get a little tiresome. Maybe it’s just me but it doesn’t sound like he’s as over as he once was.

Anna Jay vs Britt Baker was okay. Jay’s strikes are terrible but I saw she just had her 20th match a couple of weeks ago, so it’s crazy she’s as good at the things she is good at and has time to improve.

Andrade vs Pac was even better than the first match, very awesome and worth the time.

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I assume PAC's been a bit difficult to book with travel, but they need to get him back on the upward trajectory proper for a talent this grand.  Andrade too.  As expected, that was fucking great.  The Hobbs-OC finish was definitely illogical and weak, but they did just allude to a future OC-Mox match from that Mox-Wheeler squash, also this from @tbarrie...

There was no reaction because Anna Jay looked like she was having a wrestling school demonstration in there.  I really like Anna, and I'm plainly aware how little experience she brings, but seems like ppl are buying Jericho's kayfabe 'she's never looked better' comment.  I can't remember the last time she's looked so green.  Her attempts at chain wrestling, her atrocious sells on those late match strikes against the ropes, her execution of the Queen Slayer - nothing looked good.  She looked completely lost.  Again, love her and see the huge upside, but that bout looked incredibly weak.  They need to have Anna working some longer single bouts before putting her on TV for any sort of big match again.  I hope they see that they needed to do that before this match.  Kudos to Baker for keeping that shit sorta together.    

And very much agree with the prevoious posters on Tay Conti's late arrival, and again (fucking always) with the unnatural theme music before the save.  Give me the element of surprise on these things.  What is the logic of orchestrating the music just in time.  I know, I know it's wrestling and we shouldn't expect better.  It's also so ridiculous when a heel has two outside cronies and the face, who has a well established friend and partner, like in this case with Tay, isn't at ringside.  Happens far too often in this promotion.    

When I was a kid I just thought that when the babyfaces were running out of the back to make the save, the music guy would see them and play their music. Made sense to me. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, just drew said:

When I was a kid I just thought that when the babyfaces were running out of the back to make the save, the music guy would see them and play their music. Made sense to me. 

Same here. I always liked the WCW approach of hitting the music halfway down the aisle, or after the save itself. Seemed a little more organic (though I completely understand the more WWF pavlovian thing of popping for the song, it has its merits, it's just not my preference)

Remember that time they actually showed Matt Hardy backstage at Smackdown, telling the music guys "Hit my music, I'm going out there"?

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Same here. I always liked the WCW approach of hitting the music halfway down the aisle, or after the save itself. Seemed a little more organic (though I completely understand the more WWF pavlovian thing of popping for the song, it has its merits, it's just not my preference)

It's the legacy of I Won't Do What You Tell Me / Glass Shatters, which itself followed up on the Undertaker's gong. The idea that a sound effect or voice sample can start off a song for an easy pop - IF YA SMELL, Time To Play The Game, AWESOME, Okada's coin drop, the decidedly non-musical first seconds of Brock's theme, WEEEEEELLL, etc. So many entrance themes composed post-Austin try to inspire a certain kind of pop, because the sound of shattering glass caused the loudest reactions in the history of the WWE.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

And very much agree with the prevoious posters on Tay Conti's late arrival, and again (fucking always) with the unnatural theme music before the save.  Give me the element of surprise on these things.  What is the logic of orchestrating the music just in time.

There was no theme music before the save. I thought I must have misremembered, but I just watched the clip colonial posted to confirm. You've probably been subjected to that trope so many times it's mentally scarred you to the point you hear theme music when there isn't any. My sympathies.

(Okay, they did play Tay's music after she'd run Baker off. But that seems more defensible.)

• Like 3

I'm legitimately surprised so many of you thought Hobbs would/should win after they obviously set up OC/Mox. Also, I like Hobbs, but right now Cassidy is way more important and valuable to the company.

Women's match was dope.

Andrade/Pac was good. The best I've seen Andrade look without Gargano. He still has some really contrived stupid spots that I hate (Jesus Christ I hate signature spots that are based around people countering or ducking a previous move, and his back elbow is my most hated version of that) but PAC is awesome.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm legitimately surprised so many of you thought Hobbs would/should win after they obviously set up OC/Mox. Also, I like Hobbs, but right now Cassidy is way more important and valuable to the company.

Women's match was dope.

Andrade/Pac was good. The best I've seen Andrade look without Gargano. He still has some really contrived stupid spots that I hate (Jesus Christ I hate signature spots that are based around people countering or ducking a previous move, and his back elbow is my most hated version of that) but PAC is awesome.

In Andrade's defense, he hit the running big boot at least twice during the match.  Makes sense that he'd anticipate Pac ducking it.  Actually, now that I think about it, Andrade went for the feint kick elbow but actually hit the kick first one of the times. 

6 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

In Andrade's defense, he hit the running big boot at least twice during the match.  Makes sense that he'd anticipate Pac ducking it.  Actually, now that I think about it, Andrade went for the feint kick elbow but actually hit the kick first one of the times. 

I'd be fine with it if it wasn't something I've seen him do so many times. I don't hate a counter to a counter. I hate a signature spot that only works if someone counters a previous move. Just bugs me.

12 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'd be fine with it if it wasn't something I've seen him do so many times. I don't hate a counter to a counter. I hate a signature spot that only works if someone counters a previous move. Just bugs me.

I think it's fine.  I don't see it quite as a counter to a counter most of the time -- I see the kick as a way to gain momentum on the back elbow, and Andrade generally looks like he generates a good deal of oomph on the move. 

Then there's this:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

Will Hobbs is really good. It’s a bummer they had him lose another big match, especially to a guy whose gimmick I think is starting to get a little tiresome. Maybe it’s just me but it doesn’t sound like he’s as over as he once was.

Anna Jay vs Britt Baker was okay. Jay’s strikes are terrible but I saw she just had her 20th match a couple of weeks ago, so it’s crazy she’s as good at the things she is good at and has time to improve.

Andrade vs Pac was even better than the first match, very awesome and worth the time.

Anyone who knows anything about me, knows that I think PAC is the F'n man! If this match was as good or better than the first one, then it's a F'n keeper! I need to see more AEW, stat!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tbarrie said:

There was no theme music before the save. I thought I must have misremembered, but I just watched the clip colonial posted to confirm. You've probably been subjected to that trope so many times it's mentally scarred you to the point you hear theme music when there isn't any. My sympathies.

(Okay, they did play Tay's music after she'd run Baker off. But that seems more defensible.)

You're absolutely right. I withdraw my criticism. Thank You AEW, seems you're listening to the concerns of this fully invested fan. Post-save music is A.O.K. and the right thing to do.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

In Muay Thai you’re taught to fake that kick before spinning to throw a fist or elbow. The idea is you displace the hands so you can have a clearer path. It’s like play action passing only being effective if you have some semblance of a running game. You have to set stuff up.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Dog said:

I like Hobbs a lot, but I recently saw he's already been wrestling for 10 years. How much better does he get, at this point?

How much better does he need to be? He's a big guy who works like a big guy. He doesn't have to be Keith Lee busting out ranas and moonsaults.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

My mind boggles at the fact that some people think the third most over guy in Team Taz* should have gone over Orange Cassidy.

*Fourth if you include Taz

I think a win helps Hobbs a lot more than a loss hurts OC in that situation.  Plus we haven't had Mox/Hobbs before and that sounds fun.

2 hours ago, Hector said:

How much better does he need to be? He's a big guy who works like a big guy. He doesn't have to be Keith Lee busting out ranas and moonsaults.

He should be better at the little things, is what I'm saying. He seems lost between spots and doesn't always have a good transition. Probably should have picked up on those things by now.

10 hours ago, Matt D said:

I get the Vega connection, though that wasn't my first thought. It's more a case that Andrade, who's paying MJF to get FTR to wear goofy hoods, and had an on/off partnership with Chavo, sort of a flimsy, trashy sort of dude, doesn't seem like the sort of guy that the dark and mysterious Malakai Black would hang out with.

I never thought about the Vega connection or if we are supposed to make that. I like that it was set up by saying "I have friends all over the world" From North Carolina to The Netherlands it seems. It will be interesting to see if this is followed up on

I don’t mind Cody pulling some Dusty shit and stealing the shine at the end.  Shit, I expect it at this rate.  I’m just really happy hoping we keep getting fired up ass kicking babyface Cody instead of the incongruous presentation we’ve gotten so far.  

Once I read that the tbs logo looks like it says “Hos,” I can’t unsee it.

• Like 1