DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 10/22/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Man, that PAC/Andrade is fucking great.  The Britt Baker/Anna J was way better than I thought it would be- though Anna J's kicks suck.  Why didn't Powerhouse Hobbs go over?  That made no sense.

• Like 4

Great fucking match between The Bastard and Andrade wow.   Cody returned to cheers...     they booked that well Lol.  Looking forward to Part 3 but i still feel Black needs the win more than Cody.  

Speaking of needing wins,  i'd have gone with Hobbs over OC.  Punk just had a nice match with Hobbs, it's time to start pushing that dude.  They need more hosses in the TNT title scene. 

• Like 2

Is it me, or has the last few months heralded a sea change in AEW, where it's not as much "Crazy flippy lucha-styled american pro" to a mix of that, and good old fashioned Hurty strike based wrestling? Some of those shots. Especially "DO IT!" and then PAC, well, did it.

I swear, at some points, AEW is trying to out New Japan New Japan!

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Great fucking match between The Bastard and Andrade wow.  

I'm trying to remember any other streak of great matches free to the public by a promotion bigger than the streak AEW is on.  I can't really think of one.

• Like 9

Hobbs should have gone over OC, even if it meant a dirty finish. The main was great stuff. I'm usually not a fan of high-octane AEW house style, but these guys did it as well as anyone could. They sold the physicality and let all the big spots breathe. Finish was kind of weird, but I can't say I'm not intrigued by where they're going with it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DEAN said:

I'm trying to remember any other streak of great matches free to the public by a promotion bigger than the streak AEW is on.  I can't really think of one.

I'm showing my age, but I think the NWA translating to WCW with the Clashes was close, but yeah. Can you imagine what Tony Khan could have done with say, the best versions of the Midnight Express, Rock and Roll Express, Harlem Heat, the Steiners, etcetera? We need to build Tony Khan a time machine.

edit: Or the Four Horsemen vs Sting.

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Yes.. maybe late 80's-early 90's JCP because they had Flair vs. Steamboat at the Clash, Flair vs. Funk at the Clash, random matches like Muta vs. Arn.  But all that was more spread out i suppose maybe not every week. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Hell of a run. In my Best AEW Matches Ever topic counting down the 20 best NXT matches ever, half and probably more is made up of TV matches. You're getting PPV level matches on TV. My 20 Best WWE Matches Ever, there's very few TV matches by comparison.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DEAN said:

I was waaaaaaaay more excited about a Malakai Black vs PAC fued.

I'm probably in the minority here, but couldn't you see Rhodes+Death Triangle feud with Andrade+Black+??? (I would say FTR, but it was pretty plain that was a one night only thing). One thing I would love to see out of that is something like a 8 man Memphis style brawl (or the Shield-Evolution). Just tell them "Go out there and beat the living crap out of each other. Don't make it cute, like the Stadium Stampedes or whatever. I want the feeling of that Moxley-Omega brawl, where security is having difficulty keeping the fans away from the FIGHT. Just kick it completely HATRED OLD SCHOOL.

Pentagon would be great, not so much Rey Fenix, although he would best be served for those holy shit flying out of nowhere moments ala Moxley in the aforementioned Shield-Evolution brawl.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Anna Jay's improvement since she came back from injury is significantly impressive. Hard to believe she's been at this less than two years.

I suspect they showed Powerhouse Hobbs losing to Orange Cassidy in 12 seconds from last summer as a way to show how he's improved while also having Cassidy beat him on this show, as sort of a "he may have lost but he's come a long way" thing. I still don't like seeing him losing here, but I guess they're slow-burning it. The next time he'd better win.

48 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Man, that PAC/Andrade is fucking great.  The Britt Baker/Anna J was way better than I thought it would be- though Anna J's kicks suck.  Why didn't Powerhouse Hobbs go over?  That made no sense.

It makes perfect sense if part of the plan in booking the tournament is to turn Mox to set him up as a challenger for the new anxious millennial champ down the road, which I think is likely.

Mox heeling out on OC and then on American Dragon would probably be enough to get him booed.

And it was pretty much a banana-peel finish after Hobbs physically dominating the lion's share of the match so I dont think it hurts Hobbs monster credentials all that much.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

Is it me, or has the last few months heralded a sea change in AEW, where it's not as much "Crazy flippy lucha-styled american pro" to a mix of that, and good old fashioned Hurty strike based wrestling? Some of those shots. Especially "DO IT!" and then PAC, well, did it.

I swear, at some points, AEW is trying to out New Japan New Japan!

It's exactly what I've been after. Haven't watched the main event yet but I got to see a cool transition into a TORTURE RACK. Fuck yeah. Disappointing finish to that match aside, Hobbs looked good. I think he's getting better at filling spots between his power moves. Still maybe a bit too much mugging but less wandering around. 

• Like 3

Yeah, the AEW TV Universe and the AEW Extended Universe (where things like IMPACT, AAA and New Japan are), they cross over, but you don't need to be a fan of the Extended Universe to grok what's going on in the TV Universe, but if you're a fan of other feds, it doesn't pretend that AEW is the only wrestling fed that matters.

You know, I just thought of something. Imagine Suzuki vs OC. Something like where OC does that hands in his pocket move, and Suzuki looks at him like "What is this shit? Where is the FIGHT?" and starts obliterating him, only to have OC fight back, and win Suzuki's (very grudging) respect.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

Yeah, the AEW TV Universe and the AEW Extended Universe (where things like IMPACT, AAA and New Japan are), they cross over, but you don't need to be a fan of the Extended Universe to grok what's going on in the TV Universe, but if you're a fan of other feds, it doesn't pretend that AEW is the only wrestling fed that matters.

You know, I just thought of something. Imagine Suzuki vs OC. Something like where OC does that hands in his pocket move, and Suzuki looks at him like "What is this shit? Where is the FIGHT?" and starts obliterating him, only to have OC fight back, and win Suzuki's (very grudging) respect.

This was a scheduled match for 2020 WM weekend but COVID.

1 hour ago, Hector said:

Hobbs should have gone over OC, even if it meant a dirty finish. The main was great stuff. I'm usually not a fan of high-octane AEW house style, but these guys did it as well as anyone could. They sold the physicality and let all the big spots breathe. Finish was kind of weird, but I can't say I'm not intrigued by where they're going with it.

The crazy thing is they didn't even need a dirty finish since OC had the injured ribs. It would have been easy to give Hobbs a clean win that they could justify with the injury.

• Like 1