DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 54: Costa vs. Vettori (10/23/2021) - Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Elsalvajeloco

I was favorably impressed with both Costa and Vettori.  I think Costa would probably be better off at Light Heavy, but the kid still needs to work on that cardio.  He would be a monster if he didn't gas out so quickly.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I was favorably impressed with both Costa and Vettori.  I think Costa would probably be better off at Light Heavy, but the kid still needs to work on that cardio.  He would be a monster if he didn't gas out so quickly.

I think Borrachinha would probably be better at 185 just because what tends to happen with guys at the heavier weights (185 and up) is discipline seems to go out of the window if you just give them 15-20 pounds more. I think there is a group of fighters who generally embrace moving up, and then you have those who just let themselves go. He was already huge at 185. Knowing he only has to get down to 205, he might eventually struggle to make that.

• Like 1

That is true.  Cutting down to 205 rather than 185 may not be as traumatic, but there are also nutrition and training issues to consider.  Costa has already shown some serious deficiencies in discipline without adding low hurdles that won't test him.  Costa may be one those fighters that needs the harder regimen to keep him honest about training and diet.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, J.T. said:

That is true.  Cutting down to 205 rather than 185 may not be as traumatic, but there are also nutrition and training issues to consider.  Costa has already shown some serious deficiencies in discipline without adding low hurdles that won't test him.  Costa may be one those fighters that needs the harder regimen to keep him honest about training and diet.

I find it funny that before the fight Rumble even commented his weight cutting issues. However, even with Rumble, he moved up, got with a better camp, and those problems really didn't happen anymore. He still blew up between fights, but there wasn't like huge problems where it might jeopardize his chances to compete. You move up to 205, you're competing against real light heavyweights and not guys you're so much bigger than.

• Like 1