DVDVR Message Board

Full Gear III - 11/13/2021

Dolfan in NYC

35 minutes ago, Dog said:

I'm very worried if Lethal ends up in the main event scene. It's not 2008.

Considering his first match is going to be a loss to Sammy G, I think we don't have to worry about that. He'll probably be placed similar to Bobby Fish - work some Dynamites while he's still new then shift to working with prospects on Dark. He doesn't offer anything exciting to the roster, it feels more like signing him to help out their buddy rather than him being someone they want to be a featured star

• Like 2

I don't think the Legal signing is as problematic as others, but I still don't want the dude in AEW. I'm not a fan of the guy to begin with, I actually think he kind of sucks, and his issues from ROH haven't been cleared up to my knowledge. I could list of 10 other guys from ROH I'd rather see than Lethal. 

Also, this roster doesn't need Lethal. You're about to bring in more people around February. If the objective is to have a person of color featured prominently then you don't need to wait long for Keith Lee.

• Like 8

I completely forgot about Lethal's allegations. I've just always found him boring when he's not cosplaying as the Macho Man, and his handspring into a diamond cutter is the shittiest finish in pro wrestling. I'm not surprised he was signed and I think he'll be in a similar position to what Sydal and Fish are doing now, but eh, there's a lot of free agents coming up and this seems like a lot of flak for not much upside.

• Like 2

On one hand, I think Lethal was a really fucking great wrestler... Several years ago. Though I haven't kept up on post-Elite ROH, so if he's gotten healthier/better, I haven't seen it.

On the other... I'm not sure even prime Lethal would be worth the headache of signing him

On the third, mutant, hand... More than one accuser makes it very hard to give him much benefit of the doubt, and I don't want to be the guy who gives a pass to the guys I like and crucifies the ones I don't.

• Like 2

If they want black main eventers from ROH, there's this guy called Jonathon Gresham who's pretty good.

Or Shane Taylor and his friends. They would be a great addition.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I wonder if Danhausen would have a better or worse reaction than Lethal.

Anyway, Lethal sucks when he's not imitating Flair. Now that wouldn't even be an advisable move. Go away.

I'd argue his Randy Savage is better, but yeah I don't want to see Jay Lethal. It's not a Darby situation where he was accused of sketchy stuff but I still like his in-ring work. This is a case of I don't like him as a person or as a wrestler.

Danhausen would get a pop like Orange Cassidy did when he first debuted.

• Like 1

I'd gladly take a dozen warhorses and danhausens before Lethal. Lethal's a fine wrestler if you take away his silly finisher, but AEW is supposed to be the antithesis to WWE and how they've handled the sexual misconduct allegations is very WWE. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I'd gladly take a dozen warhorses and danhausens before Lethal. Lethal's a fine wrestler if you take away his silly finisher, but AEW is supposed to be the antithesis to WWE and how they've handled the sexual misconduct allegations is very WWE. 

It really makes me worried that they're eventually going to bring in Marty, especially since he's started to take bookings (overseas) now. Ultimately, I'm not surprised they brought in Lethal, since he's friends with a lot of people (and one of the guys who took the Bucks under his wing, so to speak, in TNA - according to their book), but I really hope they don't go down this route.

Like I said, I can... for lack of a better word, ignore it, with Darby, because I like his in-ring stuff. But it's constantly on my mind when I watch him wrestle. It really tainted my view of Punk's return, honestly. I still loved it, and thought it was MOTN at All Out, but yeah. Justin Roberts is weird, since they have Dasha just doing nothing and she's a perfectly good ring announcer as well. Maybe not as bombastic, but still good.

I don't think AEW is quite up there with WWE's long history of cover-ups and looking the other way, but they definitely aren't off to a good start thus far. That's my one big complaint about them. It's so weird that their World Champion is an out-and-out Bernie Sanders supporter, really goddamn progressive, their first Women's champion is transgender, etc. and then... they just seemingly don't care about sexual misconduct allegations.

And the reason I'm partial to believing Kelly Klein is - why would she blow up her career like that if it wasn't? She's got no path to AEW, since BJ Whitmer works backstage, and now Lethal is there, and WWE never went near her before this and definitely won't after. It's the same with Taeler Hendrix too, but minus the lawsuit part. They effectively resigned themselves to only doing indies now, and for what? To push a lie and get a quick payday? Miss me with that 80s type sexist shit. They tanked their careers to get the truth out there.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Casey said:

It really makes me worried that they're eventually going to bring in Marty, especially since he's started to take bookings (overseas) now. Ultimately, I'm not surprised they brought in Lethal, since he's friends with a lot of people (and one of the guys who took the Bucks under his wing, so to speak, in TNA - according to their book), but I really hope they don't go down this route.

Like I said, I can... for lack of a better word, ignore it, with Darby, because I like his in-ring stuff. But it's constantly on my mind when I watch him wrestle. It really tainted my view of Punk's return, honestly. I still loved it, and thought it was MOTN at All Out, but yeah. Justin Roberts is weird, since they have Dasha just doing nothing and she's a perfectly good ring announcer as well. Maybe not as bombastic, but still good.

I don't think AEW is quite up there with WWE's long history of cover-ups and looking the other way, but they definitely aren't off to a good start thus far. That's my one big complaint about them. It's so weird that their World Champion is an out-and-out Bernie Sanders supporter, really goddamn progressive, their first Women's champion is transgender, etc. and then... they just seemingly don't care about sexual misconduct allegations.

And the reason I'm partial to believing Kelly Klein is - why would she blow up her career like that if it wasn't? She's got no path to AEW, since BJ Whitmer works backstage, and now Lethal is there, and WWE never went near her before this and definitely won't after. It's the same with Taeler Hendrix too, but minus the lawsuit part. They effectively resigned themselves to only doing indies now, and for what? To push a lie and get a quick payday? Miss me with that 80s type sexist shit. They tanked their careers to get the truth out there.

Should I be the one to point out there was this guy whose entire gimmick was that he was a Bernie Sanders supporter who got taken down by this stuff?

Maybe long remembered when MJF showed he can really go; he and Darby went out and tore the house down. Literally one of the those "follow this" moments. I remember someone on a podcast talking about starting a PPV with a hot match to get the crowd going. Well Darby and MJF delivered. Interesting that the 4 pillars all had purposeful moments to shine last night - planting those roots. 

I am enjoying a pro wrestling company that let's its wrestlers wrestle. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, chriskbrown50 said:

Maybe long remembered when MJF showed he can really go; he and Darby went out and tore the house down. Literally one of the those "follow this" moments. I remember someone on a podcast talking about starting a PPV with a hot match to get the crowd going. Well Darby and MJF delivered. Interesting that the 4 pillars all had purposeful moments to shine last night - planting those roots. 

I am enjoying a pro wrestling company that let's its wrestlers wrestle. 

Ahem. 

Actually.

I believe that the preferred nomenclature is "The Four Pillows."

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 5
  • Haha 5

Just watched the PPV.  Jesus Christ, that Punk-Kingston match was fucking awesome.  So... MJF is the best wrestlier in AEW?  And yes, I get to see Tomohiro Iishi live Wednesday in Norfolk!

• Like 18

I'm in the MJF camp where I think he's a pretty great wrestler for his age and experience, a total natural, but not into the character/presentation at all and generally skip his tv segments.  The never ending Jericho feud didn't do him any favours

And calling back to people earlier in this thread asking what the deal is with Pinnacle and FTR.....what's the deal with MJF?  Is he Ted DiBiase?  Why are FTR letting Andrade pay him for their services?  They're supposed to be smart and shrewd Tully led heels, what's in it for them?  Why wouldn't they cut out the middle man who's clearly a scumbag and doesn't appear to do a whole lot for them?  I hope there's a bigger picture here that makes sense, but ever since they threw Pinnacle together it's been a bit of a cluster

Great F'n show, all the stars etc.  I hadn't put a lot of thought into what the match order was going to be, was semi-surprised that Darby and MJF was the opener, and holy shit did they set the bar high.  This show was so loaded with great rasslin and great moments that I definitely need to watch it again because fatigue set in over the course of the show. 

The only match I skipped was the women's title.  I'm just not that into Britt Baker the wrestler as the top woman in AEW, because compared to other top female wrestlers out there she's just not at that level.  Sorry, hope she gets there, but her matches just don't do it for me.

I have a couple complaints about the Jungle Boy booking.  The Conchairto is a fucking heel move.  It just is.  I don't want to see my whitemeat babyface doing something like that.  When they did the angle where Christian did it to Cole I was booing X-Tian, because it's a shitty thing for an old dude with a concussion history to do to a younger dude.  I've expected the whole thing with the kid to lead to a Christian heel turn and given the fact that Christian is basically a wrestling god I expect him to channel WWECW and make Jungle Boy look like the world's greatest Yoshi Tatsu

the other one is the thumbtacks in the mouth spot.  why wasn't he bleeding out of the mouth like a mofo after that?  don't do it if you can't make it seem at least semi-realistic, use a blood capsule if you have to, but on a show where dudes are yellow with bruises from their last battles and legit beating the shit out of each other it comes off fake as fuck

Oh, and WAR JDS!!!!  I want to see more of him!!!!!

• Like 1

I enjoyed the MJF match, but man, he's not even in the discussion for best wrestler. He had a few spots where there was a bit of... not exactly hesitancy, per se, but where he seemed to have a plan in his head and couldn't quite pull it off. I noticed it with a few guys last night - Luchasaurus too. They have all the physical tools but don't quite have the reps necessary to move from "can do this spot" to "should do this spot." Nice shooting star stage dive, though.

Also, that Andrade botch with the flip over the rope... kudos to him for going with it, but it wasn't that different from Jericho's chronic hysteresis during the lionsault.