DVDVR Message Board

Full Gear III - 11/13/2021

Dolfan in NYC

28 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I got through a good chunk of it. MJF/Darby started a little cutesy with the mirror wrestling (though I suppose it was an ode to Guerrero/Malenko so forgiven) but it evolved into a really cold-hearted, well-worked match. MJF is such a shit. 

Danielson/Miro owned of course. Vince thinking Miro's level was here (hand at chin level) when he was always way up HERE (hand all the way in the air) is ridiculous. The guy isn't a gatekeeper, he's a final boss. The selling, the crowd work, it was all on 100 here. And Danielson's "he might've finally flipped" CTE stares are getting scary. It's like one of these days he's gonna pull a knife out of the trunks. 

Eddie/Punk suffered from me still not believing any of Punk's offense hurts you but maybe that's just my problem. Kingston had one moment alone in the ring where the selling was so sublime you could have framed it and put it on a wall. 

Baker match did nothing for me. EVA is right, the slo-mo sequences are just plodding, there's no urgency to anything done (probably because neither woman wants to blow anything). Tay could go straight to NXT with the Kickout Face spamming too. 

Omega/Page was fine, I guess. Result was correct. The WTT cluster was your goofus AEW garbage brawl which can have high returns and low ones, this was pretty much in the middle. Lambert as Heenan was fine but no blood, booooooo. 

The wrestling made sense to me too, as the buidup had MJF crapping on Darby's wrestling skills, so both had to show chops.  Also it's an opener on a show with a lot of violence later, so they shouldn't so a full on hate match.

As for Kenny, I thought it was a combo of injuries + being mega on the juice in NJPW and not wanting to juice in AEW.

Edited by alstein

32 minutes ago, eikerir said:

Just rewatching some matches right now, I loved this so much I had to turn it into a gif:

4-ED9-F505-62-D8-48-A2-8647-8826010-D5-F

That was so fucking swank. the powerbomb seems like a bit of a lost art in modern wrestling with all these enzuigiris, cutters and superkicks popping off ten times a match. Not that people don't do them at all but it's like a whole genre of moves!

• Like 2

I enjoyed that this PPV had the most f bombs in it, especially during Punk vs Eddie. I know to some they don't like that sort of language being used, but if you're going to call someone else a motherfucker, then all of my attention is on that match. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Death From Above said:

To the posters attempting to shame Jay Leathal, how about you present a clear case as to what he did?  From what I gather there was a claim from a wrestler named Taeler Hendrix that she didn't get pushed because she didn't sleep with him.  I've read some varying reports on this and nothing seems to substantiate anything.  Further, the follow up was from Kelly Klein who did not claim Jay harrassed her but made claims that Jay harrassed others.  This while making a series of other non-Leathal related claims.  There is much discussion concerning the credibility of those many Klein claims.  Obviously these things are difficult to prove, and I'm not going to claim Leathal's innocence, but I'd like to know what you all seem to know to further substantiate these claims?  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

And to all the people in the audience. Please stop it with dueling chants when there is a clear heel/face story. It makes you seem as dumb as those 2 clowns in the front row. 

Was very confused why some people were chanting for MJF.  And then that "both these guys" chant during Punk-Kingston, oh my god. You cannot do that chant for such an intense feud. I know both guys are great, just pick one that you're gonna root for.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

To the posters attempting to shame Jay Leathal, how about you present a clear case as to what he did.  From what I gather there was a claim from a wrestler named Taeler Hendrix that she didn't get pushed because she didn't sleep with him.  I've read some varying opinions on this and nothing seems to substantiate anything.  Further, the follow up was from Kelly Klein who did not claim Jay harrassed her but made claims that Jay harrassed others.  This while making a series of other claims.  There is much discussion concerning the credibility here.  Obviously these things are difficult to prove, and I'm not going to claim Leathal's innocence, but I'd like to know what you seem to know to further substantiate these claims?  

Apparently it's  the multiple claims make folks believe something is there. 

The standard on these things is court of public opinion/how many folks believe you did something unforgivable, not what's provable in a court.

There's also the racism accusations by ACH, but I don't think many found those credible (I don't)

I don't have a problem with Lethal personally (I don't know what he did and whether it's bad enough to be unforgivable) , but I think it's a bad signing, because he isn't a transcendent talent AEW needs (it's easy to name 10 folks better than Lethal in AEW now) , and because enough folks believe he's unforgivable that he might be more negative than positive to AEW.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, (BP) said:

Just listened to Meltzer talking about Omega. Kenny told him his shoulders are so bad when’s he working out the heaviest thing he can lift is the barbell. He also told Dave he doesn't need his shoulders to work a match, and goddam if he isn’t right. 

2019:

Wrestle Kingdom build-up - Tanahashi: Your style is too high impact and flashy! Omega: No old man, the style that me, Okada, Naito and Ibushi are doing is the future!

2020:

Okada desperately tries to get the moneyclip over as a finisher.

2021:

Naito, Ibushi and Omega's bodies simultaneously crumble to dust.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

To be blunt, fans didn't have anything to say about ROH using Lethal regularly, and fans did have something to say about AEW not having black main eventers. I think that's how that hiring happens.

Yes, I can think of at least 5 non-problematic other names they could have signed now or or in the near future that would've helped the diversity of their main event scene just as much as signing Lethal.

• Like 1