DVDVR Message Board

Full Gear III - 11/13/2021

Dolfan in NYC

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Also, that's easily the best MJF has ever looked in-ring. He's always been "solid" but below the better guys in AEW, but this match he looked as good in-ring as he is on the stick and his character stuff.

I think it’s a mixture of the limited amount of wrestling he does on weekly tv and his general look, but I always have a faulty recollection of him working like a 2007 OVW talent who just got called up to Raw. Then I’ll actually see him wrestle and he’ll be spectacular. It’s like a pleasant consequence of my brain calcifying with age. 

• Like 2

Just now, (BP) said:

I think it’s a mixture of the limited amount of wrestling he does on weekly tv and his general look, but I always have a faulty recollection of him working like a 2007 OVW talent who just got called up to Raw. Then I’ll actually see him wrestle and he’ll be spectacular. It’s like a pleasant consequence of my brain calcifying with age. 

I've never thought he was spectacular before tonight. Usually I come away from his big matches slightly disappointed. Kinda a "that was fine, but it wasn't really good or anything."

• Like 1

Just listened to Meltzer talking about Omega. Kenny told him his shoulders are so bad when’s he working out the heaviest thing he can lift is the barbell. He also told Dave he doesn't need his shoulders to work a match, and goddam if he isn’t right. 

• Like 5

Decent show, think I enjoyed pretty much everything though a lot fell short of my lofty expectations.

MJF-Darby and Punk-Kingston were both superb and MOTNs. 100% MJF's career-best performance to-date. It's gone unsung because he spent so much time opposite Jericho but he's improved so much since AEW started and feels like a guy who's put it all together. Loved the body-part work, the story moments with them trying to out-wrestle each other, MJF bringing the movesetz, all of it. Punk vs Kingston was two of the biggest personalities in wrestling of the last 20 years having a throwback Punches & Blood match and it ruled. No surprise it was the shortest match on the show and maybe the best, they were selling the damage after 10 minutes better than Omega and Page were doing so after 20.

Both the Elite matches were a bit over-stuffed, but had some good highs. Plunder Bumps Adam Cole is the best Adam Cole and I will happily watch him be thrown through things and get pasted. Main event was more good than great but the right man won at least. I know some will go ga-ga over the supposedly incredible storytelling, but the Bucks stuff felt tacked on and unneeded to me.

I am sure it has been brought up before me, but holy shit the amount of Eddie Guerrero tribute spots. Do these guys not watch each others matches on the show? 

FTR vs Lucha Bros was 2/3 of a really good match until they got too cutesy at the end, but the big disappointment for me was Danielson vs Miro. Probably Danielson's weakest match in AEW so far, felt like he could have had that match with any green meathead and Miro brought very little to the party.

I popped for Jungle Boy becoming a man, especially after they almost made him look like a goof with all the NXT-Face shots.

Edited by killsteve
  • Like 1

The Eddie Guerrero spots were way overdone, especially since Jericho used them to win his match. 

I finally learned to appreciate Dax Harwood. I've always thought of FTR as lame but that dude is legit. Was this the Lucha Bros first defense of the AEW tag titles? I was surprised this was only Britt Bakers 5rh defense, she's had the belt for half a year

Edited by StevieNippz
More to the conversation

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Agree that AEW has leaned now a little too much into interference, in an effort to steer clear of 50/50 booking,  they are trying to protect too many people. Some of these dudes can lose clean they will be fine.  The big shows are where you want clean finishes. 

Not interference-related, but remember when Fenix kicked out of the OWA at 3.1 for no reason? They definitely over-steer when it comes to protecting certain guys

Seems that the top 4 match consensus is in no order MJF/Darby,  Omega/Hangman, Punk/Eddie and Miro/Bryan.  

Omega vs. Hangman is my match of the night.  The story was PERFECT and it was a wonderful mix of main event style and big show Puro. i can see an argument for the other three matches as well but they didn't have the same backstory or stakes. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, killsteve said:

Not interference-related, but remember when Fenix kicked out of the OWA at 3.1 for no reason? They definitely over-steer when it comes to protecting certain guys

Yeah you can look at a guy like Eddie and his record on the year was something like 23-8 or whatever...  he's not been protected too much he's been protected just enough and none of the losses have killed him.  They are a long ways away from 50/50 booking so it's okay to just beat a guy.  The greats will stay strong or come back stronger from defeat. 

Also Eddie didn't care about winning or losing, he got his pound of Punk's flesh so he got what he wanted.

If you want to build Eddie up for a belt, he's gonna need a character arc though.

The Lethal signing seems to have not worked well for AEW, lot of folks upset.  The allegtions are beieved enough/bad enough that folks are angry.  I wouldn't be surprised if Lethal isn't used much.

Edited by alstein

It depends on the characterisation of the talent. An (under)dog of war can carry several losses without diminishing their charm (see: Kingston), whereas a pure-athlete or indestructible-machine can only take so many losses in succession before the presentation wears thin. Miro should not have been put into the tournament if he was not going to win it - that’s his second loss in 3, with the win being hard fought.

MJF is class. High hopes that Punk evolves into the top heel they need. 

Quick thoughts.

I imagine we'll cover the Darby, Kingston/Punk, and Danielson matches on Monday night at SC so I'll save most thoughts for that. I liked all three matches. I was a little worried when they started wrestling in the Darby one (even with the side headlock takeover build) but it was fine because Darby was stepping on MJF's throat on the apron a few minutes later. Danielson match was all about the pace and the crowd. I though the announcers really missed all sorts of stuff in Kingston/Punk. Very disappointing. All throughout the night there were too many dueling chants for clear heels like Miro and MJF and it was a little frustrating but what are you going to do in 2021? That it worked out so well accordingly in Kingston/Punk makes the announcers missing all of it so frustrating.

I skipped the multi-man tags and main event out of time constants since I wanted to make sure I got to Kingston vs Punk this morning but I saw the finish of the main and it seemed ok. Maybe better if he only did one buckshot with both Bucks nodding from the same side of the ring to alleviate some of the issues people had? Post match was a nice celebration, especially when he sort of leaned back when he was on their shoulders.

I'm with @ChrisPBaconthat it was silly Anna wasn't out there, especially since Tay took out the help anyway. What's the point of having a friend you make little hand heart signs with if not for that? I'm under the opinion that either Rosa or Soho would be fine to eventually win as both are super over.

Tag match worked well because it had an actual extended section of heat and control, but then the finishing stretch was forever. Needed more partner break ups instead of kick outs, even if they did try to account for that. I liked them using American Alpha's finish as a tribute.

The Cody tag was interesting when the miscommunication was being turned up. Felt like it needed another storybeat at the end maybe? They should have probably just built to a Dynamite Cody vs Pac match, right?

Good show over overall for what I saw.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

I thought the amount of Eddie tributes was ridiculous at first  but then I checked the date and I guess it can be forgiven on this particular evening.

One thing with my perception of MJF’s in ring talent is that he wrestles so rarely that I don’t have any idea of what an MJF match feels like saved in my head. But then he comes in and kills it like last night and It reminds me he’s actually pretty good. Just have to wait a few months till he’s allowed to show it again but this is the perfect example that the guy can go.

I don’t know if it was because I was tired last night but Tay seemed a bit nervous during her match, it came together in the end but felt a bit disjointed at first. There is no doubt in my mind that the only possible option for next champ is Thunder Rosa, go back to that six women match last week and the crowd was completely into Brit and Rosa so that’s definitely their money match.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'm with @ChrisPBaconthat it was silly Anna wasn't out there, especially since Tay took out the help anyway. What's the point of having a friend you make little hand heart signs with if not for that?

We were talking about that during the match, and the only logical conclusion is that they're going to feud. Like a "Where were you when I needed you?" thing.

44 minutes ago, eikerir said:

I don’t know if it was because I was tired last night but Tay seemed a bit nervous during her match, it came together in the end but felt a bit disjointed at first.

This is a chronic Britt issue. She has a tendency to build her openings around these chain wrestling sequences that are neither tight/fast enough to be genuinely impressive nor punctuated with enough violence or dramatic beats* to draw the audience in, so you end up watching three minutes of people rolling around without much rhyme or reason before the match goes anywhere. Once Britt started letting Tay shine with her strikes, it picked up and the crowd started getting into it.

*I suppose that, in Britt’s mind, the early Lockjaw teases contained therein are dramatic, but nobody believes she can win with that until she puts the glove on, so I don’t think those bits have the effect she thinks they’re having.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I got through a good chunk of it. MJF/Darby started a little cutesy with the mirror wrestling (though I suppose it was an ode to Guerrero/Malenko so forgiven) but it evolved into a really cold-hearted, well-worked match. MJF is such a shit. 

Danielson/Miro owned of course. Vince thinking Miro's level was here (hand at chin level) when he was always way up HERE (hand all the way in the air) is ridiculous. The guy isn't a gatekeeper, he's a final boss. The selling, the crowd work, it was all on 100 here. And Danielson's "he might've finally flipped" CTE stares are getting scary. It's like one of these days he's gonna pull a knife out of the trunks. 

Eddie/Punk suffered from me still not believing any of Punk's offense hurts you but maybe that's just my problem. Kingston had one moment alone in the ring where the selling was so sublime you could have framed it and put it on a wall. 

Baker match did nothing for me. EVA is right, the slo-mo sequences are just plodding, there's no urgency to anything done (probably because neither woman wants to blow anything). Tay could go straight to NXT with the Kickout Face spamming too. 

Omega/Page was fine, I guess. Result was correct. The WTT cluster was your goofus AEW garbage brawl which can have high returns and low ones, this was pretty much in the middle. Lambert as Heenan was fine but no blood, booooooo. 

3 hours ago, (BP) said:

Just listened to Meltzer talking about Omega. Kenny told him his shoulders are so bad when’s he working out the heaviest thing he can lift is the barbell. He also told Dave he doesn't need his shoulders to work a match, and goddam if he isn’t right. 

You can tell by the eye test he isn't able to workout much. Look at his physique when he won the IWGP title and look at him now. Shit, look at him at Full Gear 2020 compared to now. He needs time off and hopefully now he can take it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ChrisPBacon said:

Miro is definitely a Bloodsport Van Damme mark, or just loves Bolo Yeung.  That sidekick no sell was straight from that movie.

Absolutely. Let's not forget the titty bouncing! 

What got me was him taking the 3 shots for 1 and his 1 looks like Bryan is gonna piss blood for the next week. 

• Like 2