DVDVR Message Board

Full Gear III - 11/13/2021

Dolfan in NYC

5 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

What are you talking about? It was going to be the finish after MJF made Roberts announce it and it WORKED! 

We've seen the ref (specifically Bryce) distraction -> heel cheats for da win spot way too often lately. Incredible match and I agree an easy MOTYC even with the bad finish but would've been a serious threat had it something better than that. I guess they want to keep MJF warm for a potential world title match.

It's surreal to think that returning hero Punk was soundly booed tonight and I feel like Danielson will be booed (again, after being booed against Kingston too) in the title match vs. Page. Both cult heroes of the IWC and the community's Two Guys but booed against "homegrown" talents in Kingston and likely Page. Do they run Danielson vs. Hangman on the TBS debut episode? Do they do it in December in a named special? I can't wait.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

What are you talking about? It was going to be the finish after MJF made Roberts announce it and it WORKED! Can beat Darby with a headlock takeover. And he did just that. Perfect finish. 

Finish was great. Heel does what he says becoming an even bigger braggart and babyface will seek revenge. I did notice MJF adjusting his trunks a lot, thought they were ill fitting and to make sure the Dynamite Diamond Ring was there.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jiji said:

We've seen the ref (specifically Bryce) distraction -> heel cheats for da win spot way too often lately. Incredible match and I agree an easy MOTYC even with the bad finish but would've been a serious threat had it something better than that. I guess they want to keep MJF warm for a potential world title match.

It's surreal to think that returning hero Punk was soundly booed tonight and I feel like Danielson will be booed (again, after being booed against Kingston too) in the title match vs. Page. Both cult heroes of the IWC and the community's Two Guys but booed against "homegrown" talents in Kingston and likely Page. Do they run Danielson vs. Hangman on the TBS debut episode? Do they do it in December in a named special? I can't wait.

Testament to Eddie Kingston's popularity that he can get people to cheer him vs. Bryan Danielson and CM Punk. Usually crowd support is all in for Bryan and Punk.

I think we'll get Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson for the AEW World Championship on a special Dynamite or the Battle of the Belts debut.

A fantastic show as all have said, but 4 and a half hours is a slog even when the action is solid.  I'd love to request future 3 hour shows with some more promos to break up the monotony of bell to bell to bell to bell.  However that is not a complaint.  I will surely enjoy the latter half even more than I already have on an encore viewing.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

I fell asleep about two seconds after Hangman got the win and the title. My long day definitely caught up to me towards the end of the show but it was a good main event. 

Darby/MJF may be my favorite match of the show. I enjoyed everything but the street fight on this card. So bored with Jericho and the Inner Circle shenanigans. Want to see more of Sammy and the TNT title.

It was another great show and a good follow-up to All Out, but some of my grievances were out in full display. The inept referees are the worst thing about the promotion for me. So much interference yet not one ejection the whole night. I've complained about JR before and he continues to be mostly terrible. He actively brings down Tony and Excalibur at this point.

I love how fast the pace is overall for their big shows. I barely had time to pee between matches, but I prefer that to watching the same video packages nine times in one night. 

All in all I was thoroughly entertained and got my money's worth. My first AEW ppv was Revolution 2021 and I've purchased every show since then. It seems like a new beginning with Hangman as champ and I'm looking forward to what goes down with him and Bryan.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, StevieNippz said:

It was another great show and a good follow-up to All Out, but some of my grievances were out in full display. The inept referees are the worst thing about the promotion for me. So much interference yet not one ejection the whole night.

There were nine matches (two of which had NHB stipulations and don't really count here) with Punk/Kingston and AmDrag/Miro being the only ones that were free from interference, ref distractions, or other assorted shenanigans. I don't recall there being too much interference in the women's match, but it was still there. A number of them also had some post-match brawl or other to-do going on. A screwy finish here or there to help a heel go over or to give a reason for continuing the program is one thing, but when most of the bouts on the card having some degree of unclean ending is too much.

The whole "faces have no friends" trope was pretty egregious, too. Especially when you consider there are like 15 people in The Dark Order and none of them were around to counter the interference for their friends' matches. And are The Pinnacle even still a faction? Wardlow and Spears are clearly doing MJF's bidding when it's appropriate, but FTR's involvement with them is tenuous at best. With their general demeanor of being "top guys" and association with Tully it doesn't fit their character to be paid muscle for other people.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Best moment of the night was Jungle Boy’s reaction to Luchasaurus’s shooting star press off the stage

He had some great subtle reactions throughout the whole match.

The “holy sh..” at the SSP and if you watch him in the background he was wincing at some of the hardcore spots in the match, even done to the Elite. Which played nicely into him becoming Jungle Man at the end and telling Christian “I’m ready, I wanna do it”.

• Like 2

I just realised, wasn’t Paige VanZant supposed to be in that match? Seems weird she wasn’t involved at all because I feel that apart from Lambert she’s the one that had the best back and forth with the Inner Circle during the build up.

Agree with all the comments about the PPV needing to be just a bit shorter to be almost perfect. Cut 5min out of all the tag matches tonight, and imo the Cody match was the perfect Buy In material, and you end up with a tight almost perfect close to 3 hour PPV.

2 minutes ago, eikerir said:

I just realised, wasn’t Paige VanZant supposed to be in that match? Seems weird she wasn’t involved at all because I feel that apart from Lambert she’s the one that had the best back and forth with the Inner Circle during the build up.

No, they chose Lambert instead of her. So she was never in the match. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

After watching it again, MOTN has to be Punk vs Eddie. The heat, the five knuckle shuffle/ Cena moves from Punk to absolute heat. Fans just booing Punk out of the arena. It was perfect. 

cmpunkfullgear-645x370.jpeg

His crazy stare with the “I’m gonna fucking do it” face and the heat while considering doing the Five Knuckle Shuffle was amazing stuff.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I don’t think I ever fully recovered from MJF/Darby. That had me hooked in a way that hardly ever happens.

I love that the story was whether Darby would lose because he would be too focused on beating the shit out of MJF, while Eddie guaranteed he was only interested in beating on Punk and it would probably cost him the match because winning didn’t matter to him. 

Punk managing to get a mixed reaction for an Eddie Guerrero tribute spot two months into his return was incredible. 

They should’ve done the Bret/Austin I Quit double turn with Dragon and Miro. 

I didn’t think the Women’s Championship match was that great, but I’m glad they protected Tay because she has a big upside. 

The title match was almost like a better version of Austin/Michaels at WM 14. Omega more than held up his end, but he’s clearly burnt out. I’m glad he’ll get a chance to take a break and heal up. That near botch when Page and Omega were both on the top rope was frightening. You could hear Omega yelling “woah” to Page so they could readjust.

All Out was beginning to end an amazingly strong show. Full Gear had more highs and lows, but the highs in-ring were probably higher than most of All Out’s. 

• Like 2

Also, that's easily the best MJF has ever looked in-ring. He's always been "solid" but below the better guys in AEW, but this match he looked as good in-ring as he is on the stick and his character stuff.

FTR/Lucha Bros didn't seem to click s month or so back... Tonight they were incredible together.

Danielson/Miro was a thing of beauty.

FCA trios might've been a tad long, but it had the perfect finish and so many insane spots and moments. Christ the Bucks don't know how to not deliver on ppv.

Cody/PAC vs Andrade/Black was a strong match but not really needed.

Women's title was really good imo, though Anna Jay not coming out with Tay to watch her back makes zero sense. Couple rough transitions, but mostly it was smooth and it told a hell of a story.

Punk/Kingston was just a war. I really wanted Eddie to win, but I get it. The back fist before the bell was amazing.

Street fight wasn't necessarily great, but it was fun.

Main event was perfect.

I don't know how the fuck you pick a "best" match.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 3

Man, we need Miro vignettes for a couple of months where he’s training in the Bulgarian wilderness with Tong Po overlaid with an Eastern European accented doctor declaring his neck is now 100%, followed by two more months of trouncing scrubs while demanding that they DDT him to demonstrate that his neck is now impervious to pain. Then he comes for Hangman.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1