DVDVR Message Board

Full Gear III - 11/13/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Best sign of the night clearly has to go to CODY SOLVED RACISM.   Like holy fuck ?

The best moment of the Page celebration was him throwing the beer away when it was given to him by Alex Reynolds.  Almost like "I don't need that anymore"  

Now the real fun part of the Adam Page begins.  How not to make him a transitional champion.   As incredible as him winning the title was and the story of getting there, it would really suck for him to lose it on his first defense.   At the very least the first Danielson vs Page match should be a 60 minute draw

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, alstein said:

I'm surprised they went for Lethal instead of Bandido.  Bandido made a misstep recently but seems like a good ambassador overall, and it wasn't an unforgivable one (he admittedly to knowing taking someone me-tooed and sticking them under a hood so they could work in Mexico)

Show was incredible, 3 matches that were seriously great, and a 4th very very good.

Also the best I've ever seen MJF.

You got to assume ROH at least worked out some deal with their champion before they released everybody. Supposedly it's coming back in some fashion. 

I thought Omega/Page might have been the best stylized epic I've ever seen on a PPV. It was like a Mania blow off match, but with the occasional stiff palm strike and Kawada kick thrown in for good measure. I really enjoyed it. Kingston/Punk was still my MOTN. That uraken KO spot was the most World Star thing seen in a wrestling ring. Eddie's offense looked great and Punk heeled it up as he should have. Can't wait to check that out again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Amazing show. Every match delivered the goods and got tons of time to do so which I always like.

Preshow tag was fun, Thunder & Shida looked great as always. Darby/MJF was excellent. Solid tag title match, Bryan/Miro ruled, was thinking Miro might win going in. 6 man tag was wild, Jungle Boy looked like a proper star getting the big finish. 

Cody/Pac v. Black/Andrade could've done without so much harping on the 'partners that can't get along' happening on both sides, but an enjoyable match. Britt/Tay was great, never doubted the outcome but still managed some good near falls. Glad to see them get 15 minutes to really put on a show, really good showing for Tay hanging in there with the champ.

Punk/Kingston was epic. Crowd for Eddie was so massive, Punk even got some slight boos at times. Outside of that, I loved how they stayed mostly split with dueling chants almost all the way through until booing no post-match handshake. This was the shortest match of the night but didn't come off that way because it had such an epic feel. The pre-match backfist was an amazing spot. Loved this. 

Inner Circle/ATT was fun. JDS standing moonsault was my highlight. Not too thrilled on Jay Lethal signing, haven't cared for him in over 10 years and thought he was often awful at times, plus the speaking out stuff. But I'm willing to see where it goes in AEW, him and Guevara seems like it could be alright. 

Main event was wonderful, one of my very top favorite matches of the year. Perfect story and match. Thought the Bucks super drama was going to take away from the end, but it worked in a weird way. Loved Kenny's run overall. Great match, moment, show, everything. 

• Like 4

Great opener. It started with the most avant garde Jackass sketch ever and got much better. The ending wasn't my favorite due to Bryce taking forever to get rid of the skateboard but it leads to a rematch between these two so I'm happy.

Tag title match was pretty good. I wish the belt shot spot was later in the match and I wasn't the biggest fan of the attempted Mask Confusion but again, I'm willing to forgive if it leads to a better rematch.

Danielson-Miro was excellent and was the most "fight" like match I have seen in a long time although they didn't hold that title for long. Finish was a bit awkward but fit the stories of Miro's shitty neck and Dragon having a million ways to beat people. 

Did not care for either multi man street fight/garbage match. Both went too long and one definitely should have on Dynamite/Rampage. Ditto Cody/Pac vs Andrade/Black. I was very underwhelmed considering the talent in this match and I just want everyone else involved away from Cody.

Britt-Tay was predictable but fine. A little sloppy and long but enjoyable. Tay is only going to get better and that will be fun to see.

LOVED Punk vs Kingston. THAT was the most fight like match I've seen in a few hours and it delivered. The blood added so much and both guys selling was on point. Hoping this leads to more between those two.

I don't mind Jay Lethal but he isn't close to being the first person from ROH I'd sign. I'm really excited to see the Blade who I've been watching all over Ontario for 15 years wrestle Tomohiro Fucking Ishii on worldwide television. So cool 

Hangman vs Omega was Pro Wrestling 101. Clear face vs clear heel, great false finishes, babyface overcomes adversity to win. Kudos to Matt Jackson for FINALLY showing a bit of acting skill with the nod at the end. I gotta say I'm a big fan of a PPV ending and feeling positive about the future of the company.

"MJF Eats Sloppy Steaks" was the sign of the night. I knew he was a piece of shit.

Edited by GodzillaPerez
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Punk / Eddie had elements of Joe / Necro, which is weird considering Punk / Eddie were on commentary and Bryce was the ref!

A friend said Punk posted a pic of him doing cardio while watching Joe/Necro, which is incredibly disrespectful and awesome. That match was fantastic, but I think it was probably third best, maybe?

This show provided four great matches, all completely unique from each other. MJF/Darby instantly becomes MJF's best match to date, beating out the Jungle Boy PPV match from the early COVID era (Double or Nothing, right?). Incredible psychology, selling, execution, everything but the played out finish. Perfect match except for that tired shit. Surprised they didn't pull the trigger on Wardog stuff tonight, but that wasn't the only thing I was surprised we didn't see.

Tag match I thought was a mess. I love Pentagon and Fenix, but their reign has been a big disappointment so far and I'm ready for the titles to go to the next team up.

Danielson/Miro was great but I'm gonna say it didn't live up to my expectations. I know I was still reeling from the opener and it felt a little bit like that with the crowd too. But still, it had some incredible stuff in it, mostly from Miro I feel, but perhaps they have a better one in them when Miro is back with his wife and after he's humbled God.

Six-man was wacky but nothing I'll remember in another couple of months. Great juice by Cole. I like the progression of Jungle Boy hesitating with the conchairto in the ring but pulling the trigger at the end. Surprised with that finish and that we didn't get the Superclit/Kliq win building to the Christian turn. 

Cody tag was a disappointment because they decided to basically work a tv/storyline match with the poor cohesion. That's totally fine to go for story over werkrate, and Pac still brought it, but don't do it on a long PPV. Agree 100% that was a TV match. No Windham. ?

Conti isn't ready for that spot. I really didn't like that match and while I get they were going for her being nervous in her first big match, I thought it was poor. How many times can you do WWE/NXT shocked kickout face? Shit sucks. FTR managed to sell disbelief at some of the kickouts in the tag in a really cool, subtle way. Tay needs to simplify her offense. I appreciate Britt trying to do cool chain sequences but they often aren't executed as well as they need to be. I'm ready to move on from Britt for now too, but she's the star of the division so the title isn't going anywhere at least until Revolution, but DoN is likelier.

Punk/Kingston was wild. Kingston looked like he hadn't slept in days. That smile before the match started was so offputting, I loved it. Finish felt abrupt, as we're conditioned for longer finishing sequences, but this was more a fight than a wrestling match, so it was perfectly fine. I'm fascinated to see where Eddie's story goes from here. Who's next for Punk? He needs to bump up to somebody who could legitimately beat him I feel. This was a perfect bridge out of his exhibition phase and into old Punk. His reactions to getting booed were perfect. Kingston defiant until the end. Great shit.

Not gonna lie, I fast forwarded through a lot of that bullshit, but Baron, Lambert, Junior, and Sammy's Hardy tribute were fun enough. Jericho can't go away soon enough. That Gage match feels like a lifetime ago.

Main event was a classic title match. I want to watch it again but it defied a lot of my expectations, and I'm happy with that. Hangmin did hit the OWA though. Great moment. They didn't revisit a tonne of the spots from the first match iirc, and instead opted for new and inventive violence like that ridiculous Dr. Bomb off the top. Surprised Page didn't kick out of the OWA but I'm totally fine with that never happening again or for an Ibushi match down the line. Perfect ending to the first chapter in the world title story. Matt with the nod ruled. Very excited to see where this all goes too.

Jim Ross sounded miserable the entire night and set the table for an awkward evening of commentary. Liability.

I know Khan said they're sticking with 4 hour PPV main cards, but I do feel like if they trimmed it to 3.5 they'd be better off. This wasn't a perfect show, they haven't had a perfect PPV yet, but it's one of their best along with All Out and DoN 2019. 

14 minutes ago, GodzillaPerez said:

"MJF Eats Sloppy Steaks" was the sign of the night. I knew he was a piece of shit.

This was referencing the dinner debonaire, wasn't it? The steak was raw, lol.

Fuck that Jay Lethal signing. Between this and how they've basically no sold the allegations towards Justin Roberts and Darby Allin, AEW is not without its blemishes/shitty business. 

19 minutes ago, Hector said:

I thought Omega/Page might have been the best stylized epic I've ever seen on a PPV. It was like a Mania blow off match, but with the occasional stiff palm strike and Kawada kick thrown in for good measure. I really enjoyed it.

I was glued to my seat and transfixed on everything. The weight to it felt like AEW's version of Rock/Austin at X7. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

For the first time in the history of the company, it feels like we have no idea who “the next champion” is. It was always going to be Jericho, Mox, Omega, Hangman. And rightly so. But now what? Is it MJF, Miro, Danielson, Punk, Cole? Darby? We have no idea! Thats exciting! Go kick ass Hangman!

For me it's Miro.  The Redeemer.  Have him go on a monster heel run at some point which AEW has not done yet.   

Another possibility is to go MJF >> Wardlow.   But i'd prefer maybe they do that with the TNT title.  MJF should probably be the guy to beat Sammy. 

With a better finish, Darby/MJF is MOTN and maybe in the MOTY conversation. But 20+ is too long to go for a fuck finish that isn’t even particularly creative. Love to see our quarterly MJF Can Really Go reminder match.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jiji said:

This was referencing the dinner debonaire, wasn't it? The steak was raw, lol.

It references this great "I Think You Should Leave" sketch. I bet MJF LIVES for New Years.

Edited by GodzillaPerez
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GodzillaPerez said:

https://youtu.be/buK45NW_ikI

It references this great "I Think You Should Leave" sketch. I bet MJF LIVES for New Years.

Awesome and thanks for the correction. I'd only seen coffin flops, which is one of the funniest sketches I've ever seen (and a body just fell out of its coffin recently, it was in the news).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, this was probably the best FTR/Lucha Bros match, but at this point it’s clear that they’re two great tastes that will never taste great together, so let’s not do this ever again.

Although it seems like we will, because what the fuck was that finish?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EVA said:

With a better finish, Darby/MJF is MOTN and maybe in the MOTY conversation. But 20+ is too long to go for a fuck finish that isn’t even particularly creative. Love to see our quarterly MJF Can Really Go reminder match.

What are you talking about? It was going to be the finish after MJF made Roberts announce it and it WORKED! Can beat Darby with a headlock takeover. And he did just that. Perfect finish. 

Edited by MoeCristyV.1.6
  • Thanks 1