DVDVR Message Board

Full Gear III - 11/13/2021

Dolfan in NYC

The opener was really hot and a showcase of how Darby can actually wrestle. For all the fuckery towards the end and way they built up the match I was really surprised to see MJF win (although it didn't look like Darby's shoulders were down). Unless they're just going to end this with the heel winning I don't see where they take the feud from here.

Tag title match was another fantastic outing between FTR and the Lucha Bros. FTR brought all the subtle touches and heel manerisms that make them great and the LBs showed off their innovative offense. I was kind of surprised that FTR lost.

Miro/Danielson brought the grappling matwork that was expected from these guys. I think Miro should have gone over though. Him getting the win helps him more than it would hurt Danielson, and Danielson doesn't need to be in the title picture yet.

The six man was ok but a lot longer than it needed to be.

As much as I like Pac, Black, and Andrade this match didn't need to be on the PPV. They could have done a week or two of more buildup to actually explain some of these allegiances and had the match with the fuck finish at a future Dynamite to set up whatever FTR are going to do with Cody.

The women's title match was fine. That apron air raid crash was nasty.

I'd been looking forward to Punk/Kingston more than anything else on the show. It's amazing what two guys who have a great mind for the business and similar tastes and influences can put together when you give them the latitude do to so. It wasn't as long as the other matches on the card, but I think that was needed to underscore just how hard and vicious they were going at eachother. My initial response is to wish Eddie had won, but I have faith that they've got a larger story they want to tell here.

I didn't really care about the street fight (two falls count anywhere tag matches on one show?) though this was the best use of a cooler match.

Jay Lethal has always bored me so I'm pretty indifferent to his signing.

The main event overdelivered. I had expected some dog and pony show ending and it was kept to a minimum. The Bucks coming ringside looking like they were going to interfere but in the end giving Page the nod of approval was a nice touch. It could even build to the Elite split people have speculated about.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

That was a really good pro-wrestling show. 

Danielson and Miro went out and had an actual King's Road match in the year 2021 holy shit

Everything on the show delievered at minimum.  The Trios and Atomicos matches way over delievered.

However... Lethal is not a popular signing, and that pretty much seals that Marty is gonna show up sooner rather than later.

Did Lethal have a “me too” issue also?

• Like 4

I'm surprised they went for Lethal instead of Bandido.  Bandido made a misstep recently but seems like a good ambassador overall, and it wasn't an unforgivable one (he admittedly to knowing taking someone me-tooed and sticking them under a hood so they could work in Mexico)

Show was incredible, 3 matches that were seriously great, and a 4th very very good.

Also the best I've ever seen MJF.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 1

Amazing show as always really, we finally finished Hangman’s storyline and it feel like a brand new era should start now. Loved the nod from Matt Jackson too right before the killing blow as I feel Matt had as much story with Page as Kenny did.

Most enjoyable and probably rewatchanle MOTN was Eddie-Punk which is everything I wanted Eddie-Miri to be at the last PPV, a Frye-Takayama like fight. I loved that Punk ALMOST turned into Cena there for a moment.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 3

Hangman vs. Omega was the best match on the show to me and had a tremendous story. 

Punk vs. Eddie was a close second...  they really brought the hate and the violence.  i loved this...   and want more from them.  Need a rematch. 

Miro hulking up on Bryan's kicks was amazing and then he delivered some brutal shots of his own wow.   The match overall was great too. 

MJF vs. Darby was the surprise of the night.  Loads of fun and something different from MJF.  He can really go in there and proved it.  i love that he still cheated like a true prick that he is. 

• Like 1

What a War of Attrition. The right man won, Hangman Page is the face of AEW.

Give Kenny some much needed rest, and bring him back fuming at the Bucks and Cole for letting him fall on his shield.

Loving Black Machismo in AEW.  Such a humble guy and workhorse.  Could have some great matches with Moriarty and Fish. 

When does Kyle O Reillys contract expire?

Miro is definitely a Bloodsport Van Damme mark, or just loves Bolo Yeung.  That sidekick no sell was straight from that movie.

Where was Anna Jay to help Tay Conti??  Three on One for goodness sake, and her best friend was nowhere in sight. 

Interesting old school finish to the FTR/Lucha Bros match, giving FTR an excuse to lead to a potential winner take all tag title match.

MjF is a student of the game.  The man is a legit old soul in professional wrestling.  That being said, could have done without the ending.  Darby has taken so much punishment, to fall to a shot by a ring wasnt convincing.  But i understand why it was done.

Eddie Kingstons matter of respect is compelling TV.  Who is going to be the outsider that earns that handshake?  Kevin Steen?

Edited by ChrisPBacon
  • Thanks 1

I loved the tiny bit in Hangman's intro video with the Dark Order sprinting across the bridge.

JDS looked like he was having the time of his life. Arlovski can go disappear to wherever his chin went 10 years ago.

• Like 3

Love that the announcement Roberts made after MJF made him say it being the actual finish. Perfect asshole move! 

"JUNIOR, JUNIOR" with Jericho staying on the rope and looking like an idiot...that match was a disaster. 

Edited by MoeCristyV.1.6

Totally agree with @christopher.annino and @Ultimo Necro that MJF/Darby match way exceeded my expectations and was a joy from bell to bell. It also had one of the better near falls in recent memory in terms of timing and the crowd biting on it with that 2.99 kickout after the Code Red. The pillows had something to prove.

The Matt Jackson nod, then Hangman batting away the beer and embracing his buddies was just the right amount of melodrama for me. And Punk/Kingston and Miro/Danielson delivered very well even compared to my giddy anticipation.

Would never have bet on Prince (sign) and Baron Von Raschke sightings though!

Edit: just rewatched that near fall again - was so great, and definitely worth it cos the first time I'd missed Tony's jubilant 'ho ho ho!' like he couldn't believe how good this was and it's only the first match of the show.  

Edited by Custos
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

One more comment before I go to sleep (5:20 AM here)

That Code Red into Razors Edge counter by MJF was beautiful and smooth AF, his counter game was on point tonight catching Darby all the time into brutal stuff. Loved the psychology of him damaging his own knees by doing backbreakers, Tombstones, etc.

One of the most enjoyable MJF matches I remember watching.

• Like 8