DVDVR Message Board

Full Gear III - 11/13/2021

Dolfan in NYC

It reminds me, on a larger scale, of Kuuga (Asian Cooger) in Osaka Pro. He's legitimately my friend. I used to sit in a group of people who are all his friends and we were friends with each other through him. I used to sit right next to a happy loving couple who are still together, who were introduced to one another by Kuuga. And we would boo him like crazy and he'd curse us and spit at us. 

When Eddie Kingston came to Osaka Pro with Chikara, he never broke character. He was always a mean, angry bastard, in and out of the ring. And we never stopped booing him and cheering for whoever he was fighting. 

And I know for a fact that he loved it here, and he knows for a fact that we loved watching him fight. The proof is right there in that video he posted a while back. He still has the "Please come back" letter we gave him. 

How can we not boo this man?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 11/7/2021 at 11:47 PM, Custos said:

Lucha Bros title match and win were a top 10 all-time MOMENT for AEW, but beyond that I have more faith in Santana and Ortiz compared to them in rising to the occasion if they were given the ball, with something to prove and get their teeth into since…god knows when. It feels like they’ve been Jericho’s hangers-on for too damn long.

Same. I feel like they’ve really honed in for the last nine months. I think ftr takes the belts off the Lucha brothers and P&P takes them off ftr maybe in the spring/summer. Have ftr say they won’t fight p&p and then p&p wins a tourney or battle royal or overcomes the odds somehow. AEW is good booking stuff like that. Santana & Ortiz have consistently delivered in big spots and have earned a reign.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gordberg said:

It reminds me, on a larger scale, of Kuuga (Asian Cooger) in Osaka Pro. He's legitimately my friend. I used to sit in a group of people who are all his friends and we were friends with each other through him. I used to sit right next to a happy loving couple who are still together, who were introduced to one another by Kuuga. And we would boo him like crazy and he'd curse us and spit at us. 

When Eddie Kingston came to Osaka Pro with Chikara, he never broke character. He was always a mean, angry bastard, in and out of the ring. And we never stopped booing him and cheering for whoever he was fighting. 

And I know for a fact that he loved it here, and he knows for a fact that we loved watching him fight. The proof is right there in that video he posted a while back. He still has the "Please come back" letter we gave him. 

How can we not boo this man?

@Gordberg was Large Marge all along???

For real, such a cool memory for you guys.

Edit to add something on-topic: for me, Miro/Dragon and Punk/Kingston are tied for most anticipated. MJF/Allin could be a sleeper hit too, not wanting to be outshined by the shiny new toys. I can take or leave the ATT stuff but apart from that, pretty hyped for every other match on the card.

Edited by Custos
  • Like 3

Both of those tag matches could be great. I'm expecting big things from that Cody tag. All four men are incredibly talented and there's depth and build to this too. Sign me up. Especially for the Windham debut. ?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AxB said:

Isn't Windham in Hollywood, pitching movie ideas to studios?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10017689-bray-wyatt-to-star-in-feature-film-after-being-released-from-wwe-contract

Wickham might be able to do both. For wrestling, show up at some events and send in pre-taped promos.

5 hours ago, Custos said:

@Gordberg was Large Marge all along???

For real, such a cool memory for you guys.

Edit to add something on-topic: for me, Miro/Dragon and Punk/Kingston are tied for most anticipated. MJF/Allin could be a sleeper hit too, not wanting to be outshined by the shiny new toys. I can take or leave the ATT stuff but apart from that, pretty hyped for every other match on the card.

Kenny Omega vs. Adam Hangman Page, Bryan Danielson vs. Miro and CM Punk vs. Eddie Kingston are my most anticipated.

Full Gear 2020 is in the running for the best AEW PPV ever along with All Out 2021 and this may potentially topple it.

As much as I'm looking forward to this show, I think I am even more stoked for what comes after. I feel like a lot of these storylines need to be wrapped up. Some of these feuds seem like they've been going on forever, and a reset will be more than welcome.

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10017689-bray-wyatt-to-star-in-feature-film-after-being-released-from-wwe-contract

Wickham might be able to do both. For wrestling, show up at some events and send in pre-taped promos.

That’s one of the things I think AEW has handled the best. They book in a way that doesn’t require their talent to be present every week. You really only need Windy in the building 1-2x a month.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 6:40 AM, Jiji said:

How can you say the wrong team won when the Bucks gave us almost a year of great tag team wrestling and made everybody they were in there with look great? I think Penta and Fenix are incredible but their reign so far has been a huge, huge drop-off in quality compared to the Bucks' and I'm concerned that the match at the PPV won't deliver. That Rampage title defence against Butcher and Blade is probably the worst men's title match in the company's history to date unless I'm forgetting something. FTR are one of the best going but I don't think they're as consistent as the Bucks in big matches these days either. Those Santana and Ortiz matches were good but nothing I'll remember fondly. 

Card is looking pretty good but I don't feel hyped like I have for other ppvs. I'm expecting big things from Kenny and Hangman, but I'm also concerned the crowd will be burned out like they pretty much always are for the main event ~4 hours into PPVs. Danielson and Miro is going to rule. Punk and Kingston will be smart, emotional, and feature a lot of selling. Nothing else feels huge to me to be honest. Tay has improved a lot but feels like a filler defence and the build has been whatever. I am over Jericho at this point. He needs to take an extended break and let some other people get that time he eats up, though I'm intrigued to see Lambert go full Bobby Heenan mode. I'm just waiting for Christian to turn on Jungle Boy, though I expect the match will deliver. Same thing with MJF and Wardlow, I'm impatiently waiting for the implosion but I reckon that match will be fun too. It just doesn't feel like a big, meaningful match sadly. 

They adding Cody and Pac vs. Andrade and Black? Or will that be a tv feud? I have a hard time seeing Cody not featured on a ppv. I would certainly hope there's another women's match, tho likely relegated to the pre show. 

Just for shits and gigs, name some teams that came out of their program with the Bucks looking “great” since the Bucks won the belts.

Maybe I’m too old school, but I’ve always thought that making other wrestlers look great usually depended on doing things like “selling” or “making the opponents offense look credible,” which are both things that the Jacksons seem either incapable of or uninterested in doing. After all, no time to sell when you have to mug for the camera or get in position for your next spot. It’s also hard to make anyone look credible when the second the bell rings after the 3 count, the Bucks stand up and swagger to the back, not bothering to even pretend they were just in a match. Pretty hard to look great when your opponents are allowed to completely undermine you both on promos and in the ring. Looking forward to a nice long break from those dweebs on top. Maybe they can even drop a fall or two without multiple run ins and shenanigans.

26 minutes ago, just drew said:

Just for shits and gigs, name some teams that came out of their program with the Bucks looking “great” since the Bucks won the belts.

Maybe I’m too old school, but I’ve always thought that making other wrestlers look great usually depended on doing things like “selling” or “making the opponents offense look credible,” which are both things that the Jacksons seem either incapable of or uninterested in doing. After all, no time to sell when you have to mug for the camera or get in position for your next spot. It’s also hard to make anyone look credible when the second the bell rings after the 3 count, the Bucks stand up and swagger to the back, not bothering to even pretend they were just in a match. Pretty hard to look great when your opponents are allowed to completely undermine you both on promos and in the ring. Looking forward to a nice long break from those dweebs on top. Maybe they can even drop a fall or two without multiple run ins and shenanigans.

They did sell the damage from the Lucha Bros cage match for quite a while.  They came out all bandaged up the next week on Dynamite and maybe even Rampage and Dynamite the following week.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Log said:

They did sell the damage from the Lucha Bros cage match for quite a while.  They came out all bandaged up the next week on Dynamite and maybe even Rampage and Dynamite the following week.

I've been operating under the assumption that they were legit busted up after that hellacious ass match. You make a fair point, though.

• Like 1

Penta and especially Fenix looked so fucked up, broken down, and slow when they came out a week ago or so. For their sake, I think they need to lose and just have TK pay for whatever surgeries or physical therapies those guys need. Tell Fenix he's got to go on the shelf, but when he's healthy he's getting a main event push or something to keep his crazy ass out of a ring. 

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Can I just ask where this "the Bucks don't sell" narrative comes from? Matt Jackson's legit on my list of top ten in the world at selling. I'm so baffled every time it comes up.

It's fucking dumb. 

• Like 2