DVDVR Message Board

2021-22 NBA: 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

Sixers commitment to keep fucking that chicken remains firm.

It is astounding how everyone involved in this situation has managed to make the exact worse choices at every possible opportunity.

• Like 2

Enes Kanter's pro Tibet stance has gotten Celtics games removed from Chinese media

They join the Sixers is not having their games broadcast. Why the Sixers you might ask? Because that is where Daryl Morey now works.

Have fun Adam Silver!

• Like 2

Ok,  I'm bored,  who is the biggest snub from the top 75 list? 

Robert Parrish is on the list and Dwight Howard is not,  and Howard is just plain the better player. Apparently,  they didn't grandfather in the top 50,  even though they all made it,  but that is probably my biggest omission. 

Chris Bosh should be there too. He gets a lot of shit,  but pretty much everyone who knows anything about NBA defense says that he's the absolute best pick and roll defender of all time. 

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Robert Parrish is on the list and Dwight Howard is not,  and Howard is just plain the better player. Apparently,  they didn't grandfather in the top 50,  even though they all made it,  but that is probably my biggest omission. 

I am only half joking when I say Parish probably voted himself on. He is on the voting committee (They are like 20 folks who were on the voting committee who also made the list so that isn't unique for him). 

I don't have feelings either way specific to Parish and Howard but hazarding guesses on just why one over the over

- There was an unspoken rule that everyone on the original 50 had to be voting on even if the NBA claimed they all didn't automatically make it

- The panel has a bunch of folks who are associated with the Celtics

- If memory serves correct - almost all the big man on the voting panel don't like Howard personally

BTW - just to put everything in one place (And before anyone yells at me - that is NBA.com's fault for not knowing where I comes in the alphabet)

The Full Top 75 (Technically 76)

Spoiler

Alphabetically by Last Name

A
• Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
• Ray Allen
• Giannis Antetokounmpo
• Carmelo Anthony
• Nate Archibald
• Paul Arizin

B
• Charles Barkley
• Rick Barry
• Elgin Baylor
• Dave Bing
• Larry Bird
• Kobe Bryant

C
• Wilt Chamberlain
• Bob Cousy
• Dave Cowens
• Billy Cunningham
• Stephen Curry

D
• Anthony Davis
• Dave DeBusschere
• Clyde Drexler
• Tim Duncan
• Kevin Durant

E
• Julius Erving
• Patrick Ewing

F
• Walt Frazier

G
• Kevin Garnett
• George Gervin
• Hal Greer

H
• James Harden
• John Havlicek
• Elvin Hayes

J
• LeBron James
• Magic Johnson
• Sam Jones
• Michael Jordan

K
• Jason Kidd

I
• Allen Iverson

L
• Kawhi Leonard
• Damian Lillard
• Jerry Lucas

M
• Karl Malone
• Moses Malone
• Pete Maravich
• Bob McAdoo
• Kevin McHale
• George Mikan
• Reggie Miller
• Earl Monroe

N
• Steve Nash
• Dirk Nowitzki

O
• Shaquille O’Neal
• Hakeem Olajuwon

P
• Robert Parish
• Chris Paul
• Gary Payton
• Bob Pettit
• Paul Pierce
• Scottie Pippen

R
• Willis Reed
• Oscar Robertson
• David Robinson
• Dennis Rodman
• Bill Russell

S
• Dolph Schayes
• Bill Sharman
• John Stockton

T
• Isiah Thomas
• Nate Thurmond

U
• Wes Unseld

W
• Dwyane Wade
• Bill Walton
• Jerry West
• Russell Westbrook
• Lenny Wilkens
• Dominique Wilkins
• James Worthy

The 11 current players added

Spoiler

Giannis Antetokounmpo, Carmelo Anthony, Stephen Curry, Anthony Davis, Kevin Durant, James Harden, LeBron James, Kawhi Leonard, Damian Lillard, Chris Paul and Russell Westbrook.

The other "new" folks"

Spoiler

Ray Allen, Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Allen Iverson, Jason Kidd, Bob McAdoo, Reggie Miller, Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki, Gary Payton, Paul Pierce, Dennis Rodman, Dwyane Wade, Dominique Wilkins

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

Ok,  I'm bored,  who is the biggest snub from the top 75 list? 

Chris Bosh should be there too. He gets a lot of shit,  but pretty much everyone who knows anything about NBA defense says that he's the absolute best pick and roll defender of all time. 

Caught a bit of the Dan Patrick show earlier and someone opined that Howard would have a better case for inclusion if he had retired at 29 or 30.  I can see that.  I mostly feel like, if I'm voting for the top 75 EVER - and think how much ground that covers - I'm giving a little less weight to a guy who has played for eight different teams in the past 10 seasons.  All other things being somewhat equal, or course.  Howard's not even 36.  Most of those ten years could have been his prime.

By contrast, Parrish put up good-to-great numbers until age 40 while mostly playing on a team that could have been fairly successful without him putting up those numbers.  I mean, "let's throw the ball to Larry Bird and let him shoot instead of Chief" isn't an awful game plan.  Besides the difficulty comparing different eras, I think it's fair to say there were also differing expectations for Parish and Howard.  Parish was important to the Celtics success, but no one ever expected him to be "the man".  Howard should have been the core of someone's team.  Instead, he spent his late 20's and early 30's doing a whistlestop tour of the league.

All that said, yeah, Howard's one of the bigger omissions.  I don't have much of an opinion on who should be on the team or not beyond the obvious suspects and wouldn't have thought much of it if he had made the list. 

A guy who writes for Yahoo sports came up with his "Bill Russell Scale" system for trying to come up with his list.

Spoiler

19.1: Russell's average PER and playoff PER. The max score for any candidate.

16.4: Russell's regular-season win shares divided by 10. The max score for any candidate.

14.5: Russell's career scoring total divided by 1,000. The max score for any candidate.

12: Russell's number of All-Star appearances. The max score for any candidate.

11: Russell's number of All-NBA appearances. The max score for any candidate.

11: Russell's number of top-5 MVP finishes. The max score for any candidate.

11: Russell's combined championships and Finals MVP awards. The max score for any candidate.

5: Russell's number of regular-season MVP awards. The max score for any candidate

Kinda silly but it basically works

Based on that scale, here's the biggest snubs and where that scale ranks them all-time

Spoiler

34. Dwight Howard (68.4)

53. Pau Gasol (60)

55. Tracy McGrady (59.3)

56. Tony Parker (58.8)

58. Chris Bosh (58.2)

63. LaMarcus Aldridge (56.8)

69. Chauncey Billups (55.4)

T71. Vince Carter, Bob Lanier (55.3)

74. Adrian Dantley (55)

75. Paul George (54.9)

And here's his list of people who made the real list but wouldn't on this scale

Spoiler

135. Dennis Rodman

134. Bill Walton

120. Dave DeBusschere

118. Earl Monroe

113. Nate Thurmond

109. Pete Maravich

104. Wes Unseld

100. Lenny Wilkens

97. Dave Bing

89. Nate "Tiny" Archibald

79. James Worthy

• Like 1

The ESPN crew - in a general sense - had the biggest issues with Dame and Anthony Davis making it (mainly for how “early” in their careers it was)

The also had issue with Bill Walton since his injury shortened career didn’t effect him but it seemed to be used against others

Their most common name for biggest snub was actually Manu Ginobili

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The ESPN crew - in a general sense - had the biggest issues with Dame and Anthony Davis making it (mainly for how “early” in their careers it was)

The also had issue with Bill Walton since his injury shortened career didn’t effect him but it seemed to be used against others

Their most common name for biggest snub was actually Manu Ginobili

It's a joke that Bill Walton made it. He was NEVER on the court. The guy's career lasted 14 years and he played 468 games, 80 of those in one year NOT STARTING. He never even averaged 19 a game in ANY season. Ralph Sampson played almost as many games - in FIVE fewer years - and was far more productive. Made twice as many AS games, too. 

Give me a break. 

• Like 2

I watched some of the Rockets and Celtics last night. Observations:

• No one on the Rockets has a handle. No one. So many turnovers.
  • We run literally no offensive sets. Anything we score is based on one-on-one effort.
  • We literally have no defensive identity. Sometimes we fight through screens, sometimes we go under, sometimes we switch, sometimes we don't.
  • Christian Wood is the only person who can finish at the rim. Everyone else was getting blocked. Maybe I'm spoiled by watching Harden all those years, but can no one make a layup?
  • Jalen Green can shoot wow. But he is literally tiny. I thought he was supposed to be 6'6"? He looks like a teenage boy out there with a bunch of men who will not get fouls called on them if they smack him in the face. How long do we have to wait until they stop punishing him for being a rookie? Decent playmaker too.
  • KPJ looks big, but maybe it's the hair? He's getting blocked in the paint too. How can he be a PG when he turns the ball over so much? Not that Green can handle that either, he turns it over. But then he makes a good play and you're like, yeah, he good too sometimes.
  • Sengun may be our best passer, but he turns it over too! Sengun is fun but he plays so little it's hard to get excited.
  • Theis looks like he should be a better defender and rebounder than he is. I don't get it.
  • Ballhandling / Driving / Throwing arms in the air and shouting Eric Gordon is no good. Standing ten feet from the 3 point line wide open and drilling shots Eric Gordon is great! Why do we get the former and not the latter?

Still, fun to watch. Not sure what to think about the coaching or what, but the players seem fun. I know that this is a "developmental" season and all, but the whole seems less than the sum of its parts. I wonder what an "Xs and Os" coach could do with this raw talent? When was the last time the Rockets had an "Xs and Os" coach?