DVDVR Message Board

2021-22 NBA: 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

Brooklyn and Milwaukee kick off the season tonight!  Kyrie is still unvaccinated!  

And tonight, in what's sure to spawn a trillion of the most spicy takes on Twitter and TV and the like:

Any order other than Wilt, Russell, James, Jordan, and Bryant is wrong!

Enjoy the season!

Well I mean theoretically - they are just gonna take their previous Top 50 list and just add 25 guys (like 20 guys since the mid-90s and the 5 guys people screamed about the most from when they did the 50 at 50 list)

For reference - this was the 50 list. And no - they won't be ranked

Spoiler

50 Greatest Players in NBA History
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Nate Archibald
Paul Arizin
Charles Barkley
Rick Barry
Elgin Baylor
Dave Bing
Larry Bird
Wilt Chamberlain
Bob Cousy
Dave Cowens
Billy Cunningham
Dave DeBusschere
Clyde Drexler
Julius Erving
Patrick Ewing
Walt Frazier
George Gervin
Hal Greer
John Havlicek
Elvin Hayes
Magic Johnson
Sam Jones
Michael Jordan
Jerry Lucas
Karl Malone
Moses Malone
Pete Maravich
Kevin McHale
George Mikan
Earl Monroe
Hakeem Olajuwon
Shaquille O’Neal
Robert Parish
Bob Pettit
Scottie Pippen
Willis Reed
Oscar Robertson
David Robinson
Bill Russell
Dolph Schayes
Bill Sharman
John Stockton
Isiah Thomas
Nate Thurmond
Wes Unseld
Bill Walton
Jerry West
Lenny Wilkens
James Worthy

Wizards extend Daniel Gafford for three years (one of those years is the picking up of his option)

Total amount is just north of $40 million

Guess they gotta spend money on someone

• Like 1

To expand on the Simmons thing, Doc kicked him out of practice for not really engaging and the suspension came shortly after.

Sounds like things are going great:

So pretty much everyone except the Sixers managed to see this coming.

I asked this in a group chat with my friends,  and we couldn't think of a #2, so I'll ask it again here...

Is Ben Simmons the best worst player in any sport? Seriously,  he can do so many valuable things,  but he's literally someone you can't have on your team. Why would any team trade for him at this point? Kyrie Irving is at least Kyrie Irving NBA Champion,  who made one of the biggest shots of all time. Ben Simmons won't shoot,  his teammates believe that he tried to fake COVID to get out of a game 7,  and he's a pain in the ass. 

5 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

At this point, Andrew Bynum is a more popular 76er than Ben Simmons will ever be.

He's also from the Philadelphia area,  so he has that going for him. I know someone who was friends with Bynum in high school, like close enough to be at his draft party,  and the fact that those two are friends explains a lot about his personality to me. She's perhaps the single meanest person I've ever met,  and if he can be close friends with her the Philly fans/media didn't stand a chance. She was part of a rec league kickball team I was one for a couple summers and she made multiple people cry real life ugly faced tears. She was a pretty good player though.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Brooklyn and Milwaukee kick off the season tonight!  Kyrie is still unvaccinated!  

And tonight, in what's sure to spawn a trillion of the most spicy takes on Twitter and TV and the like:

Any order other than Wilt, Russell, James, Jordan, and Bryant is wrong!

Enjoy the season!

Kobe definitely doesn't belong nearly that high if it was ranked. He was great, but more like 15-20th best ever.

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Kobe definitely doesn't belong nearly that high if it was ranked.

Again - it is not ranked. Unless you are referring to Dolfan's bad Top 5

Otherwise the NBA is saying that Michael Jordan isn't one of the Top 25 players of all time (both in the old list or the new list)

• Like 2

Spoiler

KAREEM ABDUL-JABBAR

GIANNIS ANTETOKOUNMPO

NATE ARCHIBALD

CHARLES BARKLEY

BOB COUSY

DAVE COWENS

KEVIN DURANT

JULIUS ERVING

GEORGE GERVIN

HAL GREER

JAMES HARDEN

ELVIN HAYES

JERRY LUCAS

MOSES MALONE

KEVIN MCHALE

GEORGE MIKAN

STEVE NASH

DIRK NOWITZKI

HAKEEM OLAJUWON

BOB PETTIT

WILLIS REED

OSCAR ROBERTSON

DAVID ROBINSON

BILL RUSSELL

JOHN STOCKTON

For those keeping track, here's the first 25, in no particular order.

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Again - it is not ranked. Unless you are referring to Dolfan's bad Top 5

Otherwise the NBA is saying that Michael Jordan isn't one of the Top 25 players of all time (both in the old list or the new list)

I know, hence the "if it was ranked" and yes, it was specifically a response to Dolfan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Just a totally normal house for sale outside of Philadelphia that I'm posting in the NBA thread for no particular reason.

Looking at that house made me think, "wow, that kitchen is really nice"...until I look closer and realize that the kitchen counters are zebra print.  It's a whole lot going on in that house that is the epitome of the fact that just because someone has money, it doesn't mean they have taste.

This Knicks/Boston game is completely batshit insane awesome. Just went final, Knicks prevailing 138-134 in double OT. The kind of game that could go a long way towards restoring the Garden roar.

Caught the end of the Bulls game and was excited to see the team close out. Last year they would have let go of the rope.

There's a lot to be excited about. It doesn't feel like one guy carrying the load and everyone else is trying to force their shit in when they could get it. This feels more like a team and everyone is making each other better.

If this group isn't the one that turns the corner then I don't know where the hell we go from here.

• Like 3