DVDVR Message Board

Saturday Dynamite - 10/16/2021

Tone don't love ya no mo' @JLowe.

3 hours ago, D.Z said:

AEW Dynamite

727,000 viewers on average. 366,000 were aged 18 to 49, 0.28 in the demo.

Up a bit from the last Saturday Dynamite. I think the Friday action would have hindered more than helped, but solid enough rating I think.

Edited by RunningFromAmerica
  • Haha 1

On 10/17/2021 at 3:36 AM, Infinit said:

I don't think that I've said this here before, but I really think the performer who most benefitted from becoming a weekly character on AEW was Hangman. I always thought he was a guy with a good look (maybe too much of a pretty boy to be a "Hangman") and a bunch of cool moves. But being featured in disjointed ROH TV, he was just....lacking. Saw him wrestle live a few times and thought he was a great athlete but I didn't really care about him. And now I pop like a schoolgirl at a Ricky Martin concert for him (props to whoever gets that reference lol). I'm really looking forward to see his eventual triumph, and how he's booked as a face champion. 

NJPW helped him out as well, he slowly developed a character a bit over there, though AEW gave him the chance to flesh it out fully.   I wonder how NJPW Hangman would have turned out- prob ended up Tanahashi's protoge

Painmaker was fine vs Darby.  I kinda saw Painmaker back then as NJPW Jericho instead of AEW Jericho, so him going rougher on Darby made sense given Darby got in his business.  I don't see Jericho as a credible deathmatch guy, though he surprised me there.  Then again, even Flair did a solid deathmatch a couple of times.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

Apologies in advance to AEW for losing one viewer in that vital demographic once I hit 50 in a couple of weeks.

Yeah, they've never cared if I watched.:(

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Dante's leaving LBO Leo and joining the House of Black.  The power of Wall Street is insignificant compared to that of the Old Gods.

Why not both of them get folded in, and Lio can be the BLACKHEART again somewhere down the road?

• Like 1

CM Punk was excellent on commentary tonight 'Were live pal!", plus he added alot of real solid in ring analysis.

Dante Martin has no right to be this good this young.

Loved MJF new jacket.

Also a minor thing, AEW doesn't do the WWE invisible camera man so I appreciated when Cody acknowledged the camera crew as they went into the school. Also someone here pretty much called Arn's promo word for word last week 

• Like 3

On 10/17/2021 at 10:28 PM, Greggulator said:

Is their a reason why the Inner Circle  formed? Why are these people - Jericho, a young upstart Sammy, a Mexican gang tag team, and Jack Hager?

There was an article posted a while back that made the point that if you think of all the AEW factions (similar to NJPW factions) more as MMA training camps than traditional pro wrestling stables. They train together watch each others back ect.

• Like 3

On 10/18/2021 at 12:43 PM, Craig H said:

You would be wrong. He didn't have any idea who Nick Gage was until he had the job of doing narration for Dark Side of the Ring. Then when it came time to do the labors of Jericho thing, Jericho wanted to take on someone else, I forget who now, and MJF floated the idea of doing the deathmatch against Gage.

And we all are better for it and should be thanking MJF for the idea. MDK all motherfuckin day.

Chris Hero.

But the very first idea for that whole storyline was actually all the members of the Pinnacle, instead of Spears/Gage/Juvi/Wardlow/MJF. Whoever had the original idea got half of their wish, just left out FTR from that whole dreadful thing. But yeah, agreed. It might not have been for everyone, but the "deathmatch"/no rules match was awesome. Wasn't a technical masterpiece or anything, but it was great, violent fun.

Also - I mean, c'mon guys, they're only saying "shit", it's not like they're out here saying fuck every other sentence. It's hardly cursing or "naughty words". Let's grow up a little.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, zendragon said:

CM Punk was excellent on commentary tonight 'Were live pal!", plus he added alot of real solid in ring analysis.

Dante Martin has no right to be this good this young.

Loved MJF new jacket.

Also a minor thing, AEW doesn't do the WWE invisible camera man so I appreciated when Cody acknowledged the camera crew as they went into the school. Also someone here pretty much called Arn's promo word for word last week 

That was me. I wondered if they cribbed notes from me, then I realized, he's ARN FUCKING ANDERSON. he probably dreams those promos.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Also - I mean, c'mon guys, they're only saying "shit", it's not like they're out here saying fuck every other sentence. It's hardly cursing or "naughty words". Let's grow up a little.

My filthy mouth thanks you!

On the real, it just gives the show a slightly cooler, more real feel. Did anyone take guys seriously in WCW when they'd talk about kicking each other's butts? I completely understand the aversion given what edgier wrestling content has historically looked like, but mild cussing doesn't mean that any of the ladies on the roster are going to give birth to a hand or something.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 1:21 PM, Greggulator said:

I love Jericho. He's high on my all-time GOAT list. He's the master of reinvention and has been really good throughout his career.

But he seriously needs an editor. I was vaguely paying attention to his feud with MJF. He did that stupid gimmick against Nick Gage. He probably floated that idea about 50 million times in the WWE and was told "no" repeatedly, and for a good reason.

Let's give the WWE some credit here. One of the things the writers do is make sure that the performers stay within some confines. Jericho was so consistently good no matter his reinventions. It's clear that a ton of his ideas were allowed to get on the show. But they had guidelines and posts and reminders that you have to stick within certain time limits and hit certain notes to advance the story. AEW is loose with promos, which definitely has its benefits but also has its downside.

His trash bag ho lines against Stephanie were in another era culturally. He was calling Steph that stuff in 2000 and 2001. It wasn't a good look then. It's an even worse look now to be a 50-year-old man saying that a woman wants to have sex with you. It's wildly misguided as a babyface. He should have said something like, "Since I can't fight you, Paige... I'm going to take it out on your stupid husband and his dumb tattoo." But him stating she wants to have sex with him (in not so many words) is immature at best and is just completely gross. 

While the WWE certainly has a really rocky history with how its performers on air have treated women, I don't think they'd let Jericho say something like that anymore. 

An editor is one thing, WWE creative is another.  Seems to me WWE creative lets a lot of shit hit the small screen.  Further, if you were witness to Chris Jericho's glorious WCW heel run prior to his WWF debut, or his AEW run nearly to the babyface turn and feud with MJF, you would well know he's clearly better left to his own devices on promos.  I see no reason to give any credit to WWE creative.  A badly scripted, badly acted wrestling show was never my bag. 

Your dismissal of the Gage angle/match/segment is a bit shortsighted to say the least.  The whole thing made for a lot of excitement and presented a unique experience that provided most of us a shit tonne of fun.  Some were saying 'it's not usually my thing, but this worked'.  Of course, there was inevitably the 'I don't like Nick Gage' posts from ppl that think others care if they like or don't like somebody, but those were as trivial and forgotten as the other weekly 'I don't like (insert elite wrestler name)' posts following Dynamite.

If you're talking about the Painmaker, yeah he certainly could use some editorial advice.  But certainly not from WWE creative as overseen by an out of touch senior citizen and his stooges.  Yeah, no credit deserved there.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For me, the Gage appearance (and Juvi, too) make me sit up and take notice that, "Oh shit! They really might bring in anyone!"

It's been a while since pro wrestling had any intrigue in the week to week happenings.  Now, I tune in to AEW with the thought that someone cool showing up is definitely not outside the realm of possibilities.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

On the real, it just gives the show a slightly cooler, more real feel. Did anyone take guys seriously in WCW when they'd talk about kicking each other's butts? I completely understand the aversion given what edgier wrestling content has historically looked like, but mild cussing doesn't mean that any of the ladies on the roster are going to give birth to a hand or something.

What if they talked about getting in each other's butts?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Saying "shit" is just a slippery slope to calling dudes "fruit booties."

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

34 minutes ago, Log said:

For me, the Gage appearance (and Juvi, too) make me sit up and take notice that, "Oh shit! They really might bring in anyone!"

It's been a while since pro wrestling had any intrigue in the week to week happenings.  Now, I tune in to AEW with the thought that someone cool showing up is definitely not outside the realm of possibilities.

I went back and watched the first Kingston appearance the other day and found the thread and people went nuts; it might be the only time in a decade when the mods let a live show thread happen. They would do well having Sammy do open challenges.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 5

Agree big time with you @Matt Dand @Log. That "anyone can show up" feel is really the one thing from the MNWs that really could not be replicated in any effective way until now. Kingston's debut was for sure a turning point in that (along with probably the first KENTA appearance, and the Callis/Impact reveal when Kenny took the title).

• Like 3

When Effy was on Oral Sessions, he said he's not going to work for WWE or work for Cody. He wants to raise the ceiling for what you can do outside the system.

• Like 2

Is the roster much bigger than at the start of the pandemic period? I think they could create an illusion of unpredictability using lower card talents without necessarily having to constantly bring guys in. If Sammy had an open challenge next Wednesday and Moriarty challenged him, it'd still feel unexpected.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

When Effy was on Oral Sessions, he said he's not going to work for WWE or work for Cody. He wants to raise the ceiling for what you can do outside the system.

I don't know much about Effy other than a few clips I've seen from his Big Gay Brunch event around Twitter, but I gotta respect his principles here. Though, conversely, I think there's *also* an argument to be made against him: in a sense, AEW only exists due to people raising the ceiling outside of the system. Just because it's wildly successful, it's now it's own system? I don't know if I can fully get behind that, at least not yet. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Is the roster much bigger than at the start of the pandemic period? I think they could create an illusion of unpredictability using lower card talents without necessarily having to constantly bring guys in. If Sammy had an open challenge next Wednesday and Moriarty challenged him, it'd still feel unexpected.

Yes, the roster is much bigger now than it was 18 months ago. Especially when you factor in how for a long time in 2020, they couldn't have anyone travel in from New York or California. Those Nightmare Factory tapings where they ended up signing Angels, Vance and Anna Jay (but not signing Suge D/ Pineapple Pete), they only had, what, 20-odd signed wrestlers available?