DVDVR Message Board

Saturday Dynamite - 10/16/2021

Also, another note about cursing... 

They really should have no one on the show curse at all except for Adam Page. "Cowboy Shit" should be his thing. Literally -- no one else should say any curse word or flip anything off if he's going to do a promo. That puts so much more of a shine on what he's saying. I liked the promo, but if he was the only character who could say a naughty word -- that would jump out and really sell what he's trying to do. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

But he seriously needs an editor. I was vaguely paying attention to his feud with MJF. He did that stupid gimmick against Nick Gage. He probably floated that idea about 50 million times in the WWE and was told "no" repeatedly, and for a good reason.

You would be wrong. He didn't have any idea who Nick Gage was until he had the job of doing narration for Dark Side of the Ring. Then when it came time to do the labors of Jericho thing, Jericho wanted to take on someone else, I forget who now, and MJF floated the idea of doing the deathmatch against Gage.

And we all are better for it and should be thanking MJF for the idea. MDK all motherfuckin day.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Also, another note about cursing... 

They really should have no one on the show curse at all except for Adam Page. "Cowboy Shit" should be his thing. Literally -- no one else should say any curse word or flip anything off if he's going to do a promo. That puts so much more of a shine on what he's saying. I liked the promo, but if he was the only character who could say a naughty word -- that would jump out and really sell what he's trying to do. 

Kenny Omega cannot help it.  He had quite the potty mouth in NJPW and Bullet Club promos single handedly created the NJPW Is Not For Kids trope.

Now it's Will Osprey who seems to have inherited the bad words = bad ass mantle from Omega. He curses like a fucking sailor.

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

You would be wrong. He didn't have any idea who Nick Gage was until he had the job of doing narration for Dark Side of the Ring. Then when it came time to do the labors of Jericho thing, Jericho wanted to take on someone else, I forget who now, and MJF floated the idea of doing the deathmatch against Gage.

And we all are better for it and should be thanking MJF for the idea. MDK all motherfuckin day.

I think he meant his Painmaker gimmick specifically, not the match with Gage itself.

The Painmaker is trash and looks so low rent. The Gage match was awesome, though

Edited by elizium

5 minutes ago, Matt D said:

It's all fascinating because at no other point in history would "Cowboy Shit" be letting the bad guys run rampant because you wanted to be with your newborn baby. 

My biggest beef with AEW in general is them taking things that are fine used sparingly and to serve a specific purpose (swearing, ref distraction spots, CM Punk's entrance) and wildly overuse them.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

But he seriously needs an editor. I was vaguely paying attention to his feud with MJF. He did that stupid gimmick against Nick Gage. He probably floated that idea about 50 million times in the WWE and was told "no" repeatedly, and for a good reason.

1 minute ago, elizium said:

I think he meant his Painmaker gimmick specifically, not the match with Gage itself.

The Painmaker is trash and looks so low rent

Hmm, maybe. Painmaker was fine in NJPW because people get scared by that shit over there. Over here it's just not the same. Plus Painmaker Chris Jericho over there did wild shit during interviews and press conferences.

Over here, the Painmaker gimmick doesn't have the same effect.

But yeah, he may have been talking about the Painmaker gimmick. I read it as the gimmick match with Gage.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Kenny Omega cannot help it.  He had quite the potty mouth in NJPW and Bullet Club promos single handedly created the NJPW Is Not For Kids trope.

Now it's Will Osprey who seems to have inherited the bad words = bad ass mantle from Omega. He curses like a fucking sailor.

Will Ospreay sucks.

3 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

My biggest beef with AEW in general is them taking things that are fine used sparingly and to serve a specific purpose (swearing, ref distraction spots, CM Punk's entrance) and wildly overuse them.

Less is more.

Yeah, the Painmaker look is something that evolved naturally out of his time in NJPW. It worked for the Bruiser Brody inspired act he was doing over there. There’s no evidence that it’s something he ever thought of doing prior to then.

He definitley shouldn’t be doing it in America, at all, though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

All I see when Jericho does the Painmaker gimmick is Glen Osbourne.  I want to see him work Silvermane on the midcard of a PCW show.

Glen Osbourne’s name always amused me.

Ozzy Danzig was the way to go with that one.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

He shouldn't do the Painmaker gimmick in America because it's a pun on Rainmaker, which is an NJPW specific reference.

It'd be like going to WWE with a Claire Lynch gimmick (referencing a TNA storyline). A few fans there would get it, but not most of them 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AxB said:

He shouldn't do the Painmaker gimmick in America because it's a pun on Rainmaker, which is an NJPW specific reference.

It'd be like going to WWE with a Claire Lynch gimmick (referencing a TNA storyline). A few fans there would get it, but not most of them 

Also, Jericho's shitty facepaint is ok in Japan because I don't think they care as much about that - after all, just look at EVIL.

But in the states, that shitty facepaint is going to look really bad. 

4 hours ago, A_K said:

Half in jest. Creative-control is the only plausible explanation for the direction they have taken much of the angles Jericho has been involved with in.

Coach Tony's said that no one has ever had creative control written into their contract, and no one ever will. In fact, the delay in signing Andrade (reportedly) was because he wanted that, and Tony told him to piss up a rope. Andrade eventually acquiesced.

Painmaker Jericho looks like he got drunk, passed out on Bourbon Street & a motley crew of kids and harpees took to his face with mascara and eye liner pens. Turning to fact the camera with that look was not quite like the Many Faces of Foley or Foley walking down the ramp unbuttoning to his Cactus attire ..

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Random-ass shit:

Cody/Black 3 after one promo, one vignette, and one training video?  Seems too soon for Cody to have regained the Eye of the Tiger.  But maybe he really really liked that pink tie.

Hangman had to cut the babyface promo of a lifetime.  And he delivered!  Just excellent.

You can’t work a “goofball with a bad spray tan” gimmick with Callis when Cole is in the same segment with bronzer inexplicably all over his knuckles and just blotchy as fuck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, J.T. said:

Do you know how fast you'll get your ass beat for mistaking a Puerto Rican for a Mexican and visa versa?

Puerto Ricans are rudos in Lucha and Mexicans are heels in Puerto Rico.  It is an undeniable fact of pro wrestling life.

I used to go to the occasional Puerto Rican wrestling show in New Jersey. Easy cheap heat was calling them Cubans for waving the Puerto Rican flag (the two flags are similar). 

Once in a while there is an evil foreign menace and Mexicans and Puerto Ricans become latino amigos to fight against evil.

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Nod of approval.

I had forgotten that moment, it was a nice touch. Like someone else said, that match was a perfect example of how to elevate someone without putting them over, and it didn't hurt Black as a threat at all.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Nod of approval.

That's a really excellent pro wrestling moment there. Well thought-out and very well-executed. 

When Black paused in thought I figured he was going to go back and hurt Dante some more. 

Then, just that slightest nod.

And Martin's selling pain and exhaustion, but you know he saw it.

That was enough. No need to be overly dramatic. 

Subtle (particularly by pro wrestling standards), but effective (by pretty much any reasonable standard). 

Camera work was really good, too. 

• Like 6

Martin's subtle selling and facial expressions were excellent for that entire match,  especially for someone his age. As the match started he has a look of apprehension on his face like he thought he was in over his head,  but he asked for it and he wasn't going to run from it. He really is an impressive prospect who is only going to get better working in a promotion that really seems to care about match structure and making little things count. 

• Like 8