DVDVR Message Board

Saturday Dynamite - 10/16/2021

Further adventures of introducing wrestling to my wife, Malakai Black/Dante Martin edition: "Oh, I really like this.  It seems more like what I think of wrestling in my head instead of just one guy doing his moves and waiting for the other guy to do his moves."

If I don't screw this up I'm pretty sure I can get my wife to watch Battlarts with me.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

Okay. Some questions since I am still new-ish to AEW:

Is their a reason why the Inner Circle  formed? Why are these people - Jericho, a young upstart Sammy, a Mexican gang tag team, and Jack Hager? Why is Jericho wearing spikes? Why are they dressed like they got their biker gear at a Six Flags? Are there any non-original Inner Circle members?

Also, Jericho needs some new insult material. I love Jericho but man is he proof as why the WWE having writers is not a bad thing, because he needs an editor badly.  

I have never liked Malachi Black, but that match was a banger. LBO Lio is going take Dante Martin to the top of the Fitch Ratings. 

I can get down with a Moxley vs. OC feud. 

That Miro promo ruled.

One bigger picture problem with AEW are the swear words. Less is more. Dan Lambert’s promo would have been so much more effective if he was the only one in the segment who cursed.

I kinda like the Superclique a lot, and I did not think I would ever say that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Is their a reason why the Inner Circle  formed? Why are these people - Jericho, a young upstart Sammy, a Mexican gang tag team, and Jack Hager? Why is Jericho wearing spikes? Why are they dressed like they got their biker gear at a Six Flags? Are there any non-original Inner Circle members?

Also, Jericho needs some new insult material. I love Jericho but man is he proof as why the WWE having writers is not a bad thing, because he needs an editor badly.  

I have never liked Malachi Black, but that match was a banger. LBO Lio is going take Dante Martin to the top of the Fitch Ratings. 

That Miro promo ruled.

One bigger picture problem with AEW are the swear words. Less is more. Dan Lambert’s promo would have been so much more effective if he was the only one in the segment who cursed.

The Inner Circle formed on the first Dynamite back in 2019, and were pretty closely aligned up until the summer (when Sammy became part of the story with his real-life friend Fuego del Sol and Miro, and Santana and Ortiz did their own thing for a month or so in the tag division). Jericho started winning ring jackets with spikes on them during his New Japan run, and also used the spike to stab Moxley in his eye during their AEW title feud in 2019-2020.

6 hours ago, Greggulator said:

a Mexican gang tag team,

Santana and Ortiz aren't Mexican. They're Puerto Ricans from New York.

Santana News, Pictures, Videos and Biography News, Pictures, Videos, Stats  and Biography - AEW

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

14 minutes ago, AxB said:

Santana and Ortiz aren't Mexican. They're Puerto Ricans from New York.

Santana News, Pictures, Videos and Biography News, Pictures, Videos, Stats  and Biography - AEW

To @Greggulator's credit,  this episode is the least obviously Puerto Rican they've ever been.  I feel like at least one of them is usually wearing a Puerto Rican flag in some fashion at all times, but they were more subdued this week. 

6 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Because they gave too much creative-control to Jericho when they signed him, hence that which has followed for much of the past 12-18ish months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A_K said:

Because they gave too much creative-control to Jericho when they signed him, hence that which has followed for much of the past 12-18ish months.

I don't think that's a true story - I heard an interview with Jericho pretty recently where he said leading a stable was TK's idea, and that he was initially apprehensive about it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Greggulator said:

That Miro promo ruled.

Jericho is a wonderful heel and a pale comparison as a babyface.  It’s consistent tho.  The early WCW lion heart was hilariously 1980s in a time where an edgier attitude was somewhat needed.  

I cant imagine WWE creative helping matters.  He was a babyface at the height of the company and ringing off ‘trash bag ho’ lines to Steph, not too dissimilar to his teen boy rantings this past weekend.

Malakai Black is a megastar on the rocketing rise.  Welcome to the huge consensus bandwagon.  We won’t fault you for the late arrival.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

Feel like not including some top stars in the tournament is less about them taking losses (if Punk lost to Mox or Danielson, would that really diminish him that much?) and more about not burning money-drawing PPV matches in the build-up to a match where only the final will be on PPV.

• Like 5

So, in the Black/Martin match, it seemed to me that Martin, after his leg was injured, was a little apprehensive about going up top.  Specifically, right before he did the one-legged springboard.  It looked to me like Rush was telling him to get up there anyway.  The commentators sold it was Rush telling him not to and Martin doing it anyway and losing.

What happened there?

On 10/16/2021 at 9:07 PM, Krone Meltzer said:

You know what, I really enjoyed that Malakai Black vs. Dante Martin match. That was just excellent. I unfortunately missed the trios match - but everything I saw on Twitter said it was great as well.

I didn't know anything about Black other than the Kane-esque appearances and that he's feuding with Cody. I now know that's he's a pretty talented wrestler who doesn't rely on the gimmick. I was also pleasantly surprised that it wasn't a squash. I really enjoyed the match.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 8:32 AM, Matt D said:

Loved Danielson vs Fish once the leg war started. Danielson's leg trap German was something else and then Fish called it back later in the match by catching the leg for a leg trap belly to back. I like the idea of Danielson winning matches against everyone outside of the top echelon with things not his finishers too. We'll see if that happens more.

Always been a fan of matches being won on moves that aren't just the signature finisher. Back when Booker and Benoit had their best-of-7 series for the WCW Tv title, they did that which added some surprise and intrigue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, A_K said:

Half in jest. Creative-control is the only plausible explanation for the direction they have taken much of the angles Jericho has been involved with in.

11 hours ago, Greggulator said:

, a Mexican gang tag team,

Do you know how fast you'll get your ass beat for mistaking a Puerto Rican for a Mexican and visa versa?

Puerto Ricans are rudos in Lucha and Mexicans are heels in Puerto Rico.  It is an undeniable fact of pro wrestling life.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Do you know how fast you'll get your ass beat for mistaking a Puerto Rican for a Mexican and visa versa?

Puerto Ricans are rudos in Lucha and Mexicans are heels in Puerto Rico.  It is an undeniable fact of pro wrestling life.

My apologies to the Inner Circle! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

My apologies to the Inner Circle! 

As much as I loved the LAX in TNA, I kept waiting for one of them to stab the other in the back.  Only mutual respect for Konnan would keep Homicide & Hernandez together as a cohesive unit.  Those dude should be trying to kill each other, not win tag team gold.   

You never saw Pierroth Jr. offering olive branches to Dr. Wagner, Jr. goddammit.

Edited by J.T.

3 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Jericho is a wonderful heel and a pale comparison as a babyface.  It’s consistent tho.  The early WCW lion heart was hilariously 1980s in a time where an edgier attitude was somewhat needed.  

I cant imagine WWE creative helping matters.  He was a babyface at the height of the company and ringing off ‘trash bag ho’ lines to Steph, not too dissimilar to his teen boy rantings this past weekend.

Malakai Black is a megastar on the rocketing rise.  Welcome to the huge consensus bandwagon.  We won’t fault you for the late arrival.

I love Jericho. He's high on my all-time GOAT list. He's the master of reinvention and has been really good throughout his career.

But he seriously needs an editor. I was vaguely paying attention to his feud with MJF. He did that stupid gimmick against Nick Gage. He probably floated that idea about 50 million times in the WWE and was told "no" repeatedly, and for a good reason.

Let's give the WWE some credit here. One of the things the writers do is make sure that the performers stay within some confines. Jericho was so consistently good no matter his reinventions. It's clear that a ton of his ideas were allowed to get on the show. But they had guidelines and posts and reminders that you have to stick within certain time limits and hit certain notes to advance the story. AEW is loose with promos, which definitely has its benefits but also has its downside.

His trash bag ho lines against Stephanie were in another era culturally. He was calling Steph that stuff in 2000 and 2001. It wasn't a good look then. It's an even worse look now to be a 50-year-old man saying that a woman wants to have sex with you. It's wildly misguided as a babyface. He should have said something like, "Since I can't fight you, Paige... I'm going to take it out on your stupid husband and his dumb tattoo." But him stating she wants to have sex with him (in not so many words) is immature at best and is just completely gross. 

While the WWE certainly has a really rocky history with how its performers on air have treated women, I don't think they'd let Jericho say something like that anymore. 

• Like 1