DVDVR Message Board

Saturday Dynamite - 10/16/2021

Danielson/Fish, Black/Martin, and Dark Order/SuperKliq were all fucking awesome pro wrestling, in three completely different ways. The Bucks and Cole just leaving poor Cutler to die because even with three of them they aren't brave enough to go against Jungle Boy with a chair is such perfect cowardly heel douchebaggery.

I'm digging the Cody Rocky III thing but it feels too soon for the match.

FTR and the Lucha Bros didn't really click, but I hope the eventual rematch is better. 

MJF/Darby is going to be so damn good.

• Like 3

Darius Martin is such a good high-flier, that it has blinded everyone to how good his selling is. He doesn't even do the "Sell on defence, forget to on offence" thing that a lot of young wrestlers fall into. He's out there doing one-legged springboard moves.

• Like 8

Loved Danielson vs Fish once the leg war started. Danielson's leg trap German was something else and then Fish called it back later in the match by catching the leg for a leg trap belly to back. I like the idea of Danielson winning matches against everyone outside of the top echelon with things not his finishers too. We'll see if that happens more.

• Like 3

I had a back and forth with @Matt Dlast week about how much we enjoy making basic moves meaningful, and it really looks like AEW is making this part of the house working style.  CM Punk has been working body slams into a signature spot, and the announcers are putting them over.  Malakai Black's half crab could have been a throwaway hold, but the fact that he went back to it and worked it into an opportunity to sell an injury.  I'm really enjoying AEW these days, and it's been a while since I've regularly watched any wrestling.  I'll probably never be a regular WWE watcher again, they've burned me too many times.

Paige VanZant is a star, but I have to say her husband has one of the worst tattoos I've ever seen.  Seriously, I watch a lot of MMA, I've seen a lot of terrible tattoos, that dude's tattoo is bottom 5.

• Like 9

brackets don't do it for me.  Bryan vs. Dustin will be fantastic but there's some glaring omissions in the tournament.  You could argue maybe Punk doesn't have enough wins yet but there's no real legitimate reason to not have Christian or Miro in the tournament.  Their non-kayfabe reasoning is to protect them but in a promotion with a clear ranking system i'm not sure it actually makes sense. 

• Like 3

At least Christian has selling the neck injury and preparing to defend his belt at BFG. Miro is a head scratcher, although I guess in storyline maybe he’s temporarily on the shelf because he’s too backed up from refusing to go home to his wife? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I would've liked a less predictable first round too. Miro, however, is busy fighting God. 

8 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

i could see there being an upset.  i was at the Boston show where Private Party beat Young Bucks.  Great moment. 

with God, all things are possible.  Even Miro losing in an upset.

• Haha 3

Meh. You could easily pull the same shit with last year's bracket and say where's Jericho, OC, PAC, MJF, Darby, etc. This year's bracket has its Sonnys and Colts just like last year's. At the end of the day, the tournament is a contrivance to get us where we're going and I'm happy we'll get some weird matches out of it. 

And since this company's goal is seemingly to not hang too many losses on their perceived bigger acts, it's wise of them not to load the tournament up on too many Punks, Miros, and Christians. 

For reference, here's where we were a year ago. Same place with the same sort of obvious destination.

Spoiler

01wek3wfdjt71.jpg

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Meh. You could easily pull the same shit with last year's bracket 

Reveal hidden contents

01wek3wfdjt71.jpg

That doesn't mean it makes sense. The company has a ranking system.  At some point you can't continue to protect everyone from a loss. Yes,  50/50 booking is trash but they are trying to protect Bryan, Punk, Mox, Miro, Wardlow, Christian, Cole..   

People have to lose sometimes. 

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

That doesn't mean it makes sense. The company has a ranking system.  

Which they constantly side step by letting people get title matches out of battle royals and cluster ladder matches. I'm not sure how seriously anyone should consider their rankings when putting together this tournament when we just had Matt Hardy a win away from a title shot. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Which they constantly side step by letting people get title matches out of battle royals and cluster ladder matches. I'm not sure how seriously anyone should consider their rankings when putting together this tournament when we just had Matt Hardy a win away from a title shot. 

Then throw out the ranking system..    

11 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Kiera Hogan looked excellent as always, she was such a great heel in her last Impact run that I almost forget she can be quite the good babyface too.

Kiera Hogan coming in and paying some dues with a series of losses is A okay, but at some point they need to give her a shot at climbing the ladder.  I wouldn't claim to know anything more than this early AEW run and a few highlights from Impact, but from what I gather she's got a lot more polish in ring, and on the mic, than anybody not named Baker, Hayter or Deeb.  

7 hours ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

I think this is the first time I watched some Dynamite live. Black vs Martin was everything. Wow. On his A game, it feels like no understatement to say that Malakai Black is AEW's Taker.

I really hope you're right.  I wanna say minus the boring domination, of course, but I'm also game to see Malakai kill a few dudes ala Moxley's decimation of young Wheeler Yuta.  That squash was just what the doctor ordered for mean mean Mox.   

14 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Then throw out the ranking system..    

Certainly there's an argument to be made, but hasn't it proven to be a fun element of the company that constantly causes for discussion?  I mean ultimately there's a lot of unrealistic movement surrounding it, but as somebody who only side glances it, I love it.  Not unlike how I loved reading PWI rankings as a kid.  

• Like 2

The issue isn't the ranking system, it's that they don't explain the thought behind the tournament. Way i see it, the ranking system is primarily for between gimmicked moments. You're in between PPVs and the person ranked #1 tends to get a shot. For bigger shows, it's decided by other means. You can say that the #s 2-4 end up in the tournament but everyone else is a random draw to keep things interesting or some such.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AxB said:

Darius Martin is such a good high-flier, that it has blinded everyone to how good his selling is. He doesn't even do the "Sell on defence, forget to on offence" thing that a lot of young wrestlers fall into. He's out there doing one-legged springboard moves.

This.  The booking of Black using catch wrestling to negate Martin's speed advantage does not work if Martin does not sell the leg constantly and tries to muster offense off of his back foot.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1