DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 10/15/2021

Dolfan in NYC

I finally got to watch Suzuki/Danielson and goddamn that was as good as everybody said.  I'm not a huge fan of the I-hit-you-you-hit-me strike exchanges but they sort of worked in this case with Suzuki getting overconfident and eating some hard shots that let Danielson start to build an advantage.  The matwork was amazing and I wish there was more of it; both of these guys are really great at realistically feeding limbs and transitioning into counters in a way that doesn't look too cooperative.

That elbow from Suzuki that opened a cut on Danielson's jaw?  Effin' beautiful, and a great sell from Danielson.

• Like 4

Holy shit what a match.  Danielson is the best wrestler in the world and I’m so happy he’s with AEW so he actually gets to wrestle.  Fuck yeah.  

I liked Ruby/Bunny but I never expected Bunny would be the better worker of the match, but here we are.  Was Ruby gassed or is she just not that quick?  She was running in molasses a few times there.

JDS looks like Sagat.  My dude went up wayyyy too light and high for that Uranage and Hager saved his life.  Fun match!

Danielson/Suzuki seemed to wear out the crowd.  They never got back up to the point they were in that match, but that’s a given.  

Looking forward to tonight’s show.  Pro wrestling motherfuckers.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5

Tay/Garrett wasn't great, but the amount Tay has improved from the time they wrestled on NXT is staggering.

Lee/Fish was good, sound wrestling. 

Then holy fuck holy fuck holy fuck DANIELSON SUZUKI

CM Punk and Matt Sydal just had to follow that, and they did. Fantastic finish. I'm still getting Bret Hart vibes from everything Punk is doing.

Ruby/Bunny was pretty good but Ruby is kinda already just fallen into the pack instead of standing out as a big new edition to the roster less than two months in.

I don't give a single flying fuck about the MMA guys, but the six man was fun enough. So MOTY, JDS, and those two random guys that aren't Masvidal versus the IC at Full Gear? Should hook Bobby Fish up with ATT and drop an MMA guy.

Leyla Hirsch in the IC might be fun, though if I was booking her she would be 1995-97 Path of Rage Taz, dropping women in suplexes and choking them out.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

Oh, as for Bobby Fish, I still think he's way better in tag matches.

I'd like to see ReDragon have a run in AEW, but the clock's probably ticking.  Fish will be 45 at the end of October and O'Reilly is under contract for at least a while yet.  The writing's probably on the wall for him in NXT, but I wouldn't be too surprised in Vince keeps him around to delay a ReDragon reunion.

Promo package for Sydal / Punk was very, very good. One of the best they’ve ran. Made what to all intents and purposes would seem to be a jobber in AEW a legit “junior heavyweight” contender who has walked much the same path as Punk without being in the spotlight. That’s how you give rub to your mid-to-low card without diminishing top of the card talent. With this, Danielson/Suzuki, Lambert & the ATT stuff they’ve made a strong move back to the “sports-based presentation” element, which is good. Santa & Ortiz running off a collection of the most brutal human beings that live on the planet was silly (they need to come with weapons as equalisers), but otherwise all good.

You can’t put pro wrestlers over MMA heavyweight champions clean - that is silly. However incorporate tables, weapons etc into it and you make PW appear hardcore bad ass in its own way, and it’s a legitimate and convincing/believable win/win from every perspective.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 2

I'll be the grumpus who thought Danielson vs Suzuki was horrifically overrated. Not even the best in the world can get wrestling's biggest one trick pony to deviate from his stale formula or sell for more than a second.

I am kinda into the Jericho vs ATT stuff but it all feels miscast. Page and Sky obviously don't fit and Masvidal is such a popular guy I wonder if it would have been better to have him positioned as a face against heel instead

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, DEAN said:

The buy-in on Youtube has more views than Rampage- though I guess folks have watched the buy-in a few times.

Watching it live, the highest I saw the viewer count hit was a little bit under 100,000.  Somewhere around 98,400.

11 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Watching it live, the highest I saw the viewer count hit was a little bit under 100,000.  Somewhere around 98,400.

It's currently up to 690,000 views.  I wonder if it will hit a million.

Echoing all the love for Bryan/Suzuki. Major big fight feel atmosphere from the get go was great, felt like a truly special match. Then Punk/Sydal was really awesome, Ruby/Bunny ruled, and I was hyped to finally get to see one of the MMA fighters actually wrestle. Great seeing JDS have a blast in there and I look forward to him doing more in the ring. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I finally got to watch Suzuki/Danielson and goddamn that was as good as everybody said.  I'm not a huge fan of the I-hit-you-you-hit-me strike exchanges but they sort of worked in this case with Suzuki getting overconfident and eating some hard shots that let Danielson start to build an advantage.  The matwork was amazing and I wish there was more of it; both of these guys are really great at realistically feeding limbs and transitioning into counters in a way that doesn't look too cooperative.

That elbow from Suzuki that opened a cut on Danielson's jaw?  Effin' beautiful, and a great sell from Danielson.

I wish we had a little more grappling in Danielson/Suzuki as it was so well done. Brilliant bout.

• Like 1

Busy weekend but just gotta say Bryan/Suzuki was a classic as expected and I feel we finally got the Suzuki we’ve been wanting since he first showed up. Bryan continues his magnificent run, the absolute joy in his face when getting hit by Suzuki shows how much this guy loves wrestling.

“If you’re watching TV and not watching this on YouTube, you’re a dumbass”

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Gimme Leyla Hirsch in the IC to counter Paige VanZant and ATT. 5v5 mixed tag at Full Gear.

Rosa would be better choice.  I'm not sure Leyla could lead Paige around.  Rosa and Emi are the best carriers in the women's division.

I do want to see PVZ try her hand at this though.

Edited by alstein

- AEW apparently doubled their demo in some of the major markets, though by no means in all of them.

- 22:30-23:00 outrated the opposed 30 minutes, which is unusual. WWE probably cost them around 10% of their viewership.

- Meltzer takes the view that if AEW loses by 10% in the demo 22:00-22:30, in the big picture they won because of the publicity it generated for them and because WWE had to throw everything at them to beat them.

Some awesome wrestling this weekend though. I feel like a winner.

For the people on Twitter  that are complaining that Bryce Remsburg was trying to stealing the heat from the Danielson vs Suzuki for attention,   just admit that you haven't watched a lick of pro wrestling before 1998.   I mean if Bryce and Aubrey Edwards are terrible at this then Tommy Young and Earl Hebner would make their head explode in rage

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Bryce debuted with the second-generation CHIKARA class that included Eddie Kingston and Jigsaw, which is to say he cut his teeth on & specializes in being the befuddled official trying and failing to corral eight man indy clusterfucks. AEW wants the refs to be "bad", because a lot of the highspots in these tag matches are technically kayfabe-illegal. Bryce at least registers shock, confusion and exasperation. Compare this to Knox, who just doesn't act like he gives a shit. I think the gap between them is sizeable 

• Like 6