DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 10/15/2021

Dolfan in NYC

What interested me the most in the Danielson match was how Suzuki's bonkers masochism threw him from his sort of overbearing zen confidence and lightness for the first time all year. And that only interested me so much here because it just meant they hit each other some more and harder and that's not really what I want out of a Danielson match, but it was an awesome preview for what's going to happen when he has to face another guy who he won't be able to intimidate or shake or move in the least in Orange Cassidy. Now that'll be something way more interesting to watch than a couple of guys really hitting each other as hard as they can.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

I loved Bryan vs MiSu. Right up there with WALTER vs Dragunov and Ishii vs Moose in my personal MOTY list. For me, the best thing was that the crowd was not hot at all for the two opening matches (even though Fish v Moriarty was excellent and the always-wonderful Tay Conti was in the opener) but then Danielson and Suzuki drew them in 100 percent using only strike exchanges, mat work, and character work.

I love that the knuckle-lock got a "this is awesome!" chant.

I get that there are people who are philosophically opposed to strike exchanges on principle… but THAT is how they should be done. They were obviously dancing the dance and responding to the crowd, and they really worked those exchanges for all they were worth. Real, actual, pro wrestling in action right there.

Loved it.

Really enjoyed Sydal vs Punk and Bunny vs Soho as well. My nitpick of the week is that they followed up a “skin of his teeth” match with a “skin of her teeth match” which is a pretty minor nit.

Safe to say the ring rust is off of Punk now?

Bunny is a really good heel.

It was funny that the worst aspect of Dos Santos in the ring was his punches. Presumably, he was being too careful to avoid actually hurting Jericho. I popped for how happy he looked just before hitting the powerslam.

I’m still enjoying the ATT stuff, and the sing alongs…

I think if someone doesn’t enjoy Lambert’s angry grandpa act, there’s a pretty good chance that they are an angry pro wrestling grandpa.

Awesome two hours of pro wrestling action.

Maybe the best thing, as @Matt D pointed out above, is how Suzuki drew something out of Bryan that we haven’t seen from him recently. That was great.

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 12

Not sure i understand the placement but Bryan vs. Suzuki tore the fucking house down!!  Holy shit that was great stuff but it all clicked the brutality but also the psychology of it...   awesome stuff..  

Should have probably been on TNT but 100k live viewers on YouTube seems like a good number too.  

The main event was a lot of fun...  JDS did not really suck he was ok.   Page Van Zant should have been signed a contract yesterday.  She has a star presence and legit background come on Tony make the offer. 

• Like 5

So who had a match on AEW's B show pre show (say that 3 times fast) ending up on moty lists.....

Feels like one of those times where AEW inadvertantly overshadows lots of other good stuff by having one thing be like... too awesome and I can't believe that's something that is even possible. Really liked Ruby and Bunny, wondering who Ruby is gonna get as a partner against Penelope and Allie down the road. Fish has been outstanding in his two outings since getting here. I popped hard for the Gunn Club joke during Dark Order's promo too. Man, Matt Sydal has these sneaky moments where he makes people remember how good he can be, he had that banger vs. Kenny earlier this year now this. Really liking how Punk adjusts based on his opponents too. I know the talk of him being "happy" for the first time ever but this is reminding me of modern Tanahashi where the experience is really shining through which is weird for a dude who was off for 7 years.

And yes, because I'm sure we all shouted it, Kaze Ni Nare~

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

What interested me the most in the Danielson match was how Suzuki's bonkers masochism threw him from his sort of overbearing zen confidence and lightness for the first time all year. And that only interested me so much here because it just meant they hit each other some more and harder and that's not really what I want out of a Danielson match, but it was an awesome preview for what's going to happen when he has to face another guy who he won't be able to intimidate or shake or move in the least in Orange Cassidy. Now that'll be something way more interesting to watch than a couple of guys really hitting each other as hard as they can.

You're soon going to do a write-up so convincing it forces me to genuinely reconsider Orange Cassidy and I'm scared. Keep up the good work. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Amdrag/Misu was one of my favorite AEW matches. They beat the piss out of eachother and told a great story in the process. Danielson's flash knee strike for the win was a nice way to end a strike/mat wrestling exhibition. File this under "matches you could show to non-fans to illustrate why you love wrestling".

Fish/Moriarty needs some love. Smart arm work by Lee coupled with great selling by Bobby. Fish is like Sydal in that he's one of those vets that can act as a midcard gatekeeper and have a good match with anyone. I think he got Reddragon's old ROH music back? I saw Moriarty is officially All Elite which is well deserved.

Punk/Sydal could have taken place in peak ROH.

The ATT guys looked like they were having a great time and that match was solid all around.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Gordberg said:

I loved Bryan vs MiSu. Right up there with WALTER vs Dragunov and Ishii vs Moose in my personal MOTY list. For me, the best thing was that the crowd was not hot at all for the two opening matches (even though Fish v Moriarty was excellent and the always-wonderful Tay Conti was in the opener) but then Danielson and Suzuki drew them in 100 percent using only strike exchanges, mat work, and character work.

I get that there are people who are philosophically opposed to strike exchanges on principle… but THAT is how they should be done. They were obviously dancing the dance and responding to the crowd, and they really worked those exchanges for all they were worth. Real, actual, pro wrestling in action right there.

Loved it.

Really enjoyed Sydal vs Punk and Bunny vs Soho as well. My nitpick of the week is that they followed up a “skin of his teeth” match with a “skin of her teeth match” which is a pretty minor nit.

Safe to say the ring rust is off of Punk now?

Bunny is a really good heel.

It was funny that the worst aspect of Dos Santos in the ring was his punches. Presumably, he was being too careful to avoid actually hurting Jericho. I popped for how happy he looked just before hitting the powerslam.

I’m still enjoying the ATT stuff, and the sing alongs…

I think if someone doesn’t enjoy Lambert’s angry grandpa act, there’s a pretty good chance that they are an angry pro wrestling grandpa.

Awesome two hours of pro wrestling action.

Maybe the best thing, as @Matt D pointed out above, is how Suzuki drew something out of Bryan that we haven’t seen from him recently. That was great.

Well. given what MOTY did to Archer, Minoru might not be happy with Lambert himself.    You don't get angrier wrestling grandpa than Minoru Suzuki.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2