DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2021 - WEEK 6

Dolfan in NYC

I understand that Baker Mayfield is the best quarterback we've had for decades.  I also understand that we're going to have to pay him.  I fully believe that the Browns ceiling is Baker Mayfield, and the AFC has too many good to great quarterbacks for the Browns to compete with an overwhelmingly average quarterback.

• Like 1

After an incredibly awful first half, Geno Smith is looking much better and now Seattle is back in the game.  Helps that they figured out that running the ball might be necessary 

I have no clue what Metcalf is thinking.     Just go out of bounds immediately.  It isn't like they needed another 5 yards.   but the Seahawks got lucky with a terrible review.   Now they have 3 seconds to spike instead of 1 

Edited by hammerva

8 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

That was a shit show ending by DK & the Refs to end Regulation. 

The call from New York to review that catch is why people think the NFL is rigged, the over/under for the game was either 42 or 42.5 going to OT all but guaranteed it'd be 43 or more.

Edited by Mister TV

On 10/16/2021 at 1:08 PM, RIPPA said:

I happened to be in Chicago shooting some news stories the night of that game.  I called some college friends to meet up and watch the game at a bar.  I had an early-morning shoot, so I didn't want to stay too long.  The damn game ended up being so exciting that I stayed out way too late and drank way too much along the way.

My shoot the next morning was at the International Polka Hall of Fame.  You know what's not awesome when you're hungover?  Polka music.

The bright side of this is that my picture ended up being in the International Polka Hall of Fame newsletter.  I have to imagine that's an honor that very few non-Polka musicians have had.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

On one hand, I think the ten second run off rule for replays is stupid as hell.

On the other, I don't understand why it didn't apply here?

Lots of overtime today at any rate

Apparently because they didn't change the call or something. 

5 hours ago, Tabe said:

Apparently because they didn't change the call or something. 

So that becomes a free chance for them to get the kicking team on the field. Okay, that makes less than zero sense.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

So that becomes a free chance for them to get the kicking team on the field. Okay, that makes less than zero sense.

There is a lot of confusion about the ten second runoff rule, partly because the commentators don't understand it/explain it either. Basically, there is a run off only if the call is reversed and the correct ruling would not have stopped the clock if the 'wrong' call did stop the clock. Like, if a team scores a TD and the clock stops, and they decide the runner was short, it would be a ten second run off as famously happened once before. In this case, there was no scenario there would have been a run off since the clock was already running anyway so it didn't apply.

If there was no challenge, they would have had plenty of time to get their kicking team out there as it as spiked with one second left, so the fuss over that spot seems to be much ado about nothing. It shouldn't have been challenged at all, it was a clear catch, so the end result either way would have been at attempted FG.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

"please reset the game clock to a point that makes sure they have enough time to spike the ball as soon as we blow the whistle"

Seattle had the ball placed and spiked before the replay call came down. Just because the homer running the stadium clock let it go down to zero doesn't mean they aren't kicking that field goal with one second left anyway.