DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2021-22: PERIOD 1

Dolfan in NYC

For tonight's Dallas/Detroit game, we got the ESPN crew of Leah Hextall and Kevin Weekes. Holy cow, Hextall is terrible. It was painfully obvious she only knew half the Red Wings roster, resulting in her calling wrong names over and over and mispronouncing others. Her cadence is weird as she ramps up her enthusiasm in a strange way and then doesn't pay it off, just trailing off her voice. Alex Nedeljkovic made a ridiculous sliding blocker save and her call was a quiet "bit of a save there from Nedeljkovic", LOL. She also repeats phrases even more frequently than the average PBP announcer. 

So, yeah, not a fan. 

37 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

One of my biggest pet peeves in all of sports is people using +/- because it is such a worthless and flawed stat. For example: Cody Eakin does something stupid that leads to a goal against and the 4 other guys get a -.

On 11/17/2021 at 10:11 AM, sabremike said:

One of my biggest pet peeves in all of sports is people using +/- because it is such a worthless and flawed stat. For example: Cody Eakin does something stupid that leads to a goal against and the 4 other guys get a -.

It's a terrible stat, to be sure.  That said, if you're -7 (Foegele) or -10 (Ryan) through 15 games, especially on a good team, you're probably playing pretty poorly.

Florida just became the third team in NHL history to start 10-0-0 at home. 

Paul Laus and Brian Skurdland would be proud. 

(I'm proud because I got to see the game with my folks: https://www.instagram.com/p/CWhFGXiLgs8/ )

The Montreal Canadiens made sweeping changes to their front office on Sunday, firing general manager and executive vice president Marc Bergevin and assistant general manager Trevor Timmins, as well as senior vice president of public affairs and communications Paul Wilson.

Former New York Rangers general manager Jeff Gorton has been hired to serve as executive vice president of hockey operations. Gorton was with the Rangers from 2015 up until being replaced by Chris Drury last May.

Bergevin had been general manager in Montreal since 2012 and was in the final year of his contract with the Canadiens. Montreal had tried negotiating an extension with Bergevin last summer but never came to an agreement.

I am not sure if that is supposed to be a joke Twitter account or not but Kane did clear waivers

San Jose Sharks forward Evander Kane has cleared waivers and is expected to be assigned to the AHL. Previous reports have made it clear that the Sharks would retain salary in order to facilitate a trade of the veteran forward, and Kane’s new agent Dan Milstein of Gold Star Hockey told Rick Dhaliwal of CHEK TV that there are “multiple options on the table.” Milstein even included the Vancouver Canucks specifically as one of the teams he will be contacting as he tries to get his client a new home.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2021/11/evander-kane-clears-waivers-has-multiple-options.html

Forbes had a story today that claimed the Coyotes are up for sale and looking to move to Houston

I guess that is not really breaking news (at least the leaving AZ part)

Anyway - the team immediately put out a statement saying the report was BS

Yeah, the Smashville one is pretty great. Not super big on the script, but don't hate it either. If you lose it and increase the size of that logo thing (I'm guessing its the municipal flag?) you would have a classic. I just don't like how the C is squished on there.

The Tampa one is straight balls.

9 hours ago, elizium said:

Yeah, the Smashville one is pretty great. Not super big on the script, but don't hate it either. If you lose it and increase the size of that logo thing (I'm guessing its the municipal flag?) you would have a classic. I just don't like how the C is squished on there.

The Tampa one is straight balls.

The three stars are from the Tennessee flag, in the shape of a guitar pick. Also, the font is supposed to evoke old-school concert posters.

At this point - I really don't see how the NHL doesn't cancel its participation in the Olympics

They have already passed their threshold for games missed to trigger the out if they want to use it and a couple of more teams are teetering on having their own outbreaks (like the Capitals have at least 3 players in the protocol at the moment).

And clearly the NHL doesn't care about bad PR