DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 10/8/2021

Dolfan in NYC

6 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Like life, timing is crucial. Right place, right time.

Sting winning the title in 1990 was good but Sting winning in 1989 was the moment. Yeah Sting gets a fluke knee injury. Page cashing, getting a solid run (AEW has several great ways to g0 - Page/Cole? Page/MTF ? Page/Punk?). IMO - I like heel champs as the face chasing is the story but you have to pay it off.  Omega gets kicked out of the elite? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

It'd be absolutely mind boggling if Danielson was in the title eliminator tournament and CM Punk wasn't. Danielson is 1-0-1 in singles matches in AEW, and Punk is 3-0.

Win-loss records didn’t seem to be much of a factor in who got a tourney berth last year. Jungle Boy had a losing record at that point. Penta didn’t have much of a singles record at all. Janela was Janela. Plenty of people with more impressive records were left out.

I enjoyed this show on tape a lot more than I did live. By the time they were rolling it was nearly 10:30 and I was toast. I also had the separation of not comparing it immediately to the Dynamite that preceded it.

Garcia’s going places fast. There aren’t a lot of wrestlers even among the more seasoned that can do serious business technician heel and still stooge like that at the same time. Sort of to what Matt was saying about Punk, performing a move safely and accurately while also appearing to do it imperfectly to sell an injury has to be on the higher degree of difficult things required of a wrestler, and he nailed it. 

Does anyone know if Sky Blue vs Jade was the first of the tbs tournament matches, or just a match between the competitors? 

Anyway, I thought commentary was pretty hilarious tonight. “CM punk goes flying… like Mussolini…or Gandhi…or Kennedy. That really cracked me up. Taz being in despair when Starks was in trouble in his match was probably the best part of it too.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Does anyone know if Sky Blue vs Jade was the first of the tbs tournament matches, or just a match between the competitors? 

I think just any other match same as whichever one was announced for next week because Excalibur said “could have serious title tournament ramifications”… so just a match.

• Like 1

The Tbs title is perfect for Jade. Shes a star with a big win record that they need to keep away from the main title. 

Jade vs Sky was not very different than what we've seen before. The post match run in with Rosa seems as if they're going to carry this feud into the tournament. 

5 hours ago, Bryan said:

Aubrey said on Instagram that the finals are January 5th, so I wouldn't expect the tournament to even happen until December.

• In an interview with Sports Illustrated, Punk praised Daniel Garcia: “Daniel Garcia is light-years beyond his age. He’s just shy of half my age, and I can only compare him to when I was that young. He’s in a better spot than when I was that age. Everything builds off a great foundation, and he’s very fundamentally sound. He’s trained by Pepper Parks [AEW wrestler The Blade], who is an excellent f------ wrestler. He’s respectful, he listens, and he’s not corny and doesn’t kiss a--. He’s everything I possibly want in a wrestler on a television show."
  • Like 7

Of the three younger Punk opponents, Garcia got the most shine by far. Just as I was starting to think that Punk's pace is a little too slow, they probably slowed it down even more and leaned heavy into the selling. Smart and it worked out really well. Garcia is fantastic. That spot where he calmed himself down after cutting off a comeback was brilliant shit.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 5

Echoing the love for Punk/Garcia. Busting out the Piledriver was a highlight. Starks/Cage was fun. Thought Cage looked good all things considered as the babyface trying to fight off three dudes. Bloody Starks made for a cool ending visual. Looking forward to next week's live show, with the in-ring debut of Junior Dos Santos and Punk/Sydal

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jiji said:

Of the three younger Punk opponents, Garcia got the most shine by far. Just as I was starting to think that Punk's pace is a little too slow, they probably slowed it down even more and leaned heavy into the selling. Smart and it worked out really well. Garcia is fantastic. That spot where he calmed himself down after cutting off a comeback was brilliant shit.

Loved that bit, compare it to other young guys that look corny psyching themselves up and playing to the crowd in this moments (looking at you Pillman), this felt much more “real” and relatable.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 10:22 AM, John E. Dynamite said:

I'm in the post-cheesesteak phase of things. I know my John's Roast Pork + DiNic's but I need to get around to Nick's Roast Beef. 

I was in town for work (corp HQ is in Philly) and I got the roast pork at DiNic’s at the Terminal Market after seeing it featured on Delicious Destinations.  The smoked provolone tasted like straight up vomit.  I threw the whole thing out and went to the soul food buffet instead.

On 10/8/2021 at 10:22 AM, John E. Dynamite said:

I'm in the post-cheesesteak phase of things. I know my John's Roast Pork + DiNic's but I need to get around to Nick's Roast Beef. 

I was in town for work (corp HQ is in Philly) and I got the roast pork at DiNic’s at the Terminal Market after seeing it featured on Delicious Destinations.  The smoked provolone tasted like straight up vomit.  I threw the whole thing out and went to the soul food buffet instead.

• Haha 2